New Inspiron 9100 won't use the the ATI video drivers. Hel..

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or the
ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops working.
An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't. If I
uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted every
time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that I
can't run it in native mode).

Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and I've
tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before I
had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after getting
all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech Support
person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
*sigh*

Thanks,

Clint
8 answers Last reply
More about inspiron 9100 video drivers
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message news:<eFYFc.23023$WB5.11757@pd7tw2no>...
    > If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or the
    > ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops working.
    > An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't. If I
    > uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted every
    > time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that I
    > can't run it in native mode).
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and I've
    > tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before I
    > had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after getting
    > all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech Support
    > person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
    > *sigh*
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Clint
    Don't install drivers and just wait for better divers. New model...
    just need to be patient. If the display worked when you received
    the computer then its ok. If you reinstalled windows and you
    can now get no video with the Dell supplied resource cd I would
    be returning the computer and just wait till Dell gets thing
    sorted out. NEVER but a new model of ANYTHING. There are ALWAYS
    initial problems. Best wishes. No video out of the box...RETURN IT!!!
    Dave
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Clint wrote:

    > If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or the
    > ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops working.
    > An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't. If I
    > uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted every
    > time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that I
    > can't run it in native mode).
    >
    > Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and I've
    > tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before I
    > had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after getting
    > all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech Support
    > person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
    > *sigh*

    Give the Radeon drivers from Omega a try. http://www.omegadrivers.net

    I've used them in my past two laptops (including my current Compaq Evo
    N600c w/ Radeon 7500), and they are rock solid, and much faster than
    anything Compaq ever released. They are based on the official ATI
    drivers with minor tweaks. The most important change is that the Omega
    drivers work on laptops whereas the official ATI ones don't.

    Cosmin
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    As I mentioned, I've tried the Omega drivers. And the ATI drivers off the
    Dell CD. And the ATI drivers off the Dell website. Same problem on all of
    them.

    Thanks anyway.

    Clint

    "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
    > Clint wrote:
    >
    > > If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or
    the
    > > ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops
    working.
    > > An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't.
    If I
    > > uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted
    every
    > > time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that
    > > can't run it in native mode).
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and
    I've
    > > tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before
    > > had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after
    getting
    > > all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech
    Support
    > > person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
    > > *sigh*
    > >

    > Give the Radeon drivers from Omega a try. http://www.omegadrivers.net
    >
    > I've used them in my past two laptops (including my current Compaq Evo
    > N600c w/ Radeon 7500), and they are rock solid, and much faster than
    > anything Compaq ever released. They are based on the official ATI
    > drivers with minor tweaks. The most important change is that the Omega
    > drivers work on laptops whereas the official ATI ones don't.
    >
    > Cosmin
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Thanks for the advice, David. I think this one is going back. I've got to
    the point that I can use the system, just not properly. So if I can arrange
    for them to cross-ship (or even send me a different model), I'll probably do
    that.

    Clint

    "David" <davids165@juno.com> wrote in message
    > "Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or
    the
    > > ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops
    working.
    > > An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't.
    If I
    > > uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted
    every
    > > time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that
    > > can't run it in native mode).
    > >
    > > Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and
    I've
    > > tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before
    > > had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after
    getting
    > > all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech
    Support
    > > person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
    > > *sigh*
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Clint
    > Don't install drivers and just wait for better divers. New model...
    > just need to be patient. If the display worked when you received
    > the computer then its ok. If you reinstalled windows and you
    > can now get no video with the Dell supplied resource cd I would
    > be returning the computer and just wait till Dell gets thing
    > sorted out. NEVER but a new model of ANYTHING. There are ALWAYS
    > initial problems. Best wishes. No video out of the box...RETURN IT!!!
    > Dave
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Well, that should teach me to read the WHOLE post before replying... Did
    you try different versions of the Omega drivers? The latest ones
    (2.5.51) are supposed to work better for laptops, but try one of the old
    ones just to see if it works.

    Cosmin

    Clint wrote:
    > As I mentioned, I've tried the Omega drivers. And the ATI drivers off the
    > Dell CD. And the ATI drivers off the Dell website. Same problem on all of
    > them.
    >
    > Thanks anyway.
    >
    > Clint
    >
    > "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Clint wrote:
    >>

    >>>If I update my graphics drivers to the ones on the CD Dell sent me, or
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>ones I download off the web, the display on my brand new 9100 stops
    >
    > working.
    >
    >>>An external monitor continues to display an image, but the LCD won't.
    >
    > If I
    >
    >>>uninstall those drivers, all is well again (beyond getting prompted
    >
    > every
    >
    >>>time I reboot to install the new hardware it "found", and the fact that

    >>>can't run it in native mode).
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions? I've tried re-installing the OS several times, and
    >
    > I've
    >
    >>>tried the Omega drivers. BTW, it did this right out of the box, before

    >>>had a chance to muck with it. Not a good start... And then, after
    >
    > getting
    >
    >>>all my software installed, I run through the diagnostics with a Tech
    >
    > Support
    >
    >>>person (good ol' Elvis), and find out that there's a bad block on my HD.
    >>>*sigh*
    >>>

    >>Give the Radeon drivers from Omega a try. http://www.omegadrivers.net
    >>
    >>I've used them in my past two laptops (including my current Compaq Evo
    >>N600c w/ Radeon 7500), and they are rock solid, and much faster than
    >>anything Compaq ever released. They are based on the official ATI
    >>drivers with minor tweaks. The most important change is that the Omega
    >>drivers work on laptops whereas the official ATI ones don't.
    >>
    >>Cosmin

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    :) That's ok. Any input is better than none. And no, I didn't try the
    older Omega drivers. I might give that a try tonight, as I sit alone in my
    hotel room.

    In any case, I've got a System Exchange going on with Dell. Should have my
    new unit in "7 to 10 business days". We'll see. Interestingly enough, they
    claim to provide better service to people on these kind of replacments than
    for new customers. Doesn't seem right that they would be able to make the
    computers faster for some people than others...

    > Well, that should teach me to read the WHOLE post before replying... Did
    > you try different versions of the Omega drivers? The latest ones
    > (2.5.51) are supposed to work better for laptops, but try one of the old
    > ones just to see if it works.
    >
    > Cosmin
    >
    > Clint wrote:
    > > As I mentioned, I've tried the Omega drivers. And the ATI drivers off
    the
    > > Dell CD. And the ATI drivers off the Dell website. Same problem on all
    of
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Thanks anyway.
    > >
    > > Clint
    > >
    > > "Cosmin N." <no@email.com> wrote in message

    > > the

    > > working.

    > > If I

    > > every

    > > I've

    > > getting

    > > Support

    HD.

    > >>Give the Radeon drivers from Omega a try. http://www.omegadrivers.net
    > >>
    > >>I've used them in my past two laptops (including my current Compaq Evo
    > >>N600c w/ Radeon 7500), and they are rock solid, and much faster than
    > >>anything Compaq ever released. They are based on the official ATI
    > >>drivers with minor tweaks. The most important change is that the Omega
    > >>drivers work on laptops whereas the official ATI ones don't.
    > >>
    > >>Cosmin

  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    I ran into a similar situation with a new Dell 600M when they first came out
    last year. I was about to return it when someone in this newsgroup
    mentioned to check the web sites frequented by gamers (I am not a gamer, but
    have a graphics-intensive 3-D application). I found a non-certified,
    modified driver on "drivers.com" (I think that was the site) that fixed all
    my problems. This was only about 2 months after the model was released by
    Dell. It might be worth a try.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    If I had to guess, I'd bet those were the Omega drivers from
    www.driverheaven.net, and I've tried those. Thanks anyway.

    Clint

    "Joe Davis" <davisexpREMOVE@attglobal.net> wrote in message
    > I ran into a similar situation with a new Dell 600M when they first came
    out
    > last year. I was about to return it when someone in this newsgroup
    > mentioned to check the web sites frequented by gamers (I am not a gamer,
    but
    > have a graphics-intensive 3-D application). I found a non-certified,
    > modified driver on "drivers.com" (I think that was the site) that fixed
    all
    > my problems. This was only about 2 months after the model was released by
    > Dell. It might be worth a try.

Dell Drivers Computers