Best 939 chipset for OC

Cyrus

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I have no clue which one it is : Nvidia NForce3 / Nvidia NForce4 / SiS 755FX / SiS 756 / VIA K8T800 / VIA K8T890 / else?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So far it's been the nForce3 250, but the nForce4 is proving itself right now. I'd choose between the two based on whether you want AGP or PCIe.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cyrus

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
I see. And how's the SiS 755FX OC capability? The price of Winfast 755FX8AA is very attractive, yet the chip performs very well. But last time I know its BIOS limited the OC to 233 MHz only. Any newer info?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No new info yet. I expect it's going to be a great overclocker, but without the clock generator needed to support that speed, I can't say any more.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The problem with sis chipsets is they go on low end boards. No-one wants to put in the effort for a good bios, for a low end board. It's not the chipset, it's the mobo makers. The ecs K7S5A was a classic example. The stock bios allowed 0 OC, so some guys decided to make thier own bios. It was great. Oh well, I digress, nforce is the only real choice for OCing, because the pci lock works.

Cyrus

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Talking about low end mobo, the MSI 755FX8AA is a 3 layered one which said something that rarely happen to the low end. Is there any performance increase by using more layer? Or it's just the cost?

Cyrus

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Thanks for the enlightment. I think I better wait the 755FX8AA available in my local store or the nforce4's mobo price to be cut down. The US$ 94 is really attracting me. ^^