W Button Lagging!

Hunter A

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
When I start my computer my keyboard works perfectly fine and there is no lag at all. Then maybe when I'm on it for 10-15 minutes, the "W" key begins to lag. I have no idea why, it is only this button and no other button. This has never happened before and it just suddenly started maybe a week ago. It's gone too far and I've gotten tired of having to wait for the "W" button to respond.

What happens is I can hold the "W" button down for 2 seconds, and let go, and the key continues to spam the "W" letter for an extra 10-15 seconds as if I was still holding the button down.

Any idea on how to fix this pesky problem?

Is this a laptop keyboard? If so, it could be a rubber stopper under the key is getting stuck.

Also since you said it doesn't do it until Windows is loaded, I would recommend trying to figure out what has changed in the last week. Is there a program starting up when Windows does that is causing the overall lag in the keyboard. With it being only the W key this may not be the case but it is a starting place.

Hunter A

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Sorry for the late reply, the holidays are quite frantic!

For the keyboard, it is a built in keyboard (built into my laptop). This has never happened before and suddenly started happening. I have tried removing the W button and looking under the key and I see nothing under it.

It only happens to the W button and no other button.

As for any new software? None that I am aware of. Only on start up Ad-Aware (anti-malware program) sends a notice every few start ups about failing to start but that is about it.

Download a program called AutoRuns from www.sysinternals.com and clear out all the things you don't need from starting up (which typically is quite a few) and see if the issue continues. If it were the circuitry under the keyboard going bad it would be more than just the W key. Time to start thinking software based.

scottiemedic

Distinguished
You have to make sure that when you put the W key back on that you do it right. Usually it's on a scissor lift looking thing that the key hooks to, and if any of those tabs are broken or not clicking in appropriately, it could cause the symptoms you're having.
Laptop keyboards are cheap on eBay and places like that, if any part of the small pieces are broken, it is time to replace it. That would be my #1 guess, part of the lift is broke or the key isn't seated perfectly on the lift thing...