Sign in with
Your question

Where can I find how much heat a CPU produces?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Heat
Last response: in CPUs
January 6, 2005 2:57:59 PM

I would like to upgrade from my P3 1.0 to a P4 3.0 or an Athlon64 3000. However I have a small room and I have read that these new processors generate quite a bit more heat. I already know that the Prescott P4 are the worst.

Where can I find information about how much heat is generated by each CPU? I want to make sure I do not get a furnace that will overheat my room.

More about : find heat cpu produces

January 6, 2005 3:32:13 PM

Navigate through Data Sheet on manufacturer's website.

Here is my suggestion for a "cool" system. Get a Athlon 64 which run cool (or Mobila Athlon 64 which is cooler) and it support Cool & Quiet and pair it with a low-noise HSF... Ta dam! One of the coolest "high-end" system you can buy.

Or you might consider buying and OEM Pentium-M (Dothan) with a motherboard that support it, but these items are more exotic and it might cost you a premium.

Avoid any Pressc<b><font color=red>HOT</font color=red></b> based build.

And don't forget that the GPU can be quite a heat problem too, if you buy a high-end GPU.

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>
January 6, 2005 10:35:15 PM

Realisticly, there is only about 100 watts more heat coming from the chip, and psu in a new scotty, over your old rig. To find out what difference that would make, just plug in a lamp, with a 100w light bulb next to your computer.
Please remember, that does not take into account a new graphics card. That could add just as much again, so if you are going with the 6800u, another lamp would be in order.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 7, 2005 1:54:49 AM

I'd definately go with the Socket 939 A64 3000+ for low heat production.

If you want similar performance with even lower heat production, a P-M 2GHz produces around half the heat, but a motherboard will cost you nearly twice as much (as will the CPU).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 7, 2005 2:35:01 PM

The Athlon Winchester seems to be my best bet.

From the information I have gathered, it looks like a Prescott 3.0 system would generate about twice as much heat as my P3. The Winchester seems to generate about the same. Am I right?

I will only replace my CPU, motherboard and memory.
January 8, 2005 4:36:33 AM

Just an experience of mine. Once my PC (Prescott 3.2 GHz, ATi Radeon X600XT) ran full capacity (rendering 3DSMax scenes) in a 5x7x3 m room. The room was quite well ventilated and the outside temperature was about 28-30 C (the room was about the same at first). I forgot to turn on the air conditioner.

After 6 hours running, I entered the room and found it quite hot, eventhough the monitor was off. I didn't have thermometer that time, but I guess the room was about 31-33 C.

It wouldn't have happened if I had turned on the AC.
!