TECH: Stern MPU-200

OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a Galaxy)
has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand new roms
and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2 "dings" at
power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being the reason it
won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and traced all pins
on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out the socket. Also
double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check out ok. I mean I
can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the next destination, is
that necessary??

What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Dave Martin
8 answers Last reply
More about tech stern

    you need 100ns 5101's for mpu200.
    Also you can try Leon's test chip, the mem test should point to which
    5101 is bad.
    also I know you traced pins, but look for adjacent shorts in the
    socket. (pin to pin). Also the socket contact point might be ok for
    testing, but won't conduct with a chip in there. I'd replace the socket
    anyway.

    Possible to have several bad 5101s, too...

    Have any other pins to 'test' them in?

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ========================

    Dave Martin wrote:

    So, I installed a new chip and traced all pins
    > on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out the socket. Also
    > double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check out ok. I mean I
    > can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the next destination, is
    > that necessary??
    >
    > What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    > googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Dave Martin

    Its been a while since I've had that exact same problem, but its one
    of the chips on the left of the cpu (I think U18). Follow the R/W line
    from the 5101 on the schematics, it will lead you to the chip.........

    rare but it happens...& if you've done all the 5101 things on the
    bottom...

    Greg

    On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 19:07:30 GMT, "Dave Martin" <pinballs@ptd.net>
    wrote:

    >OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a Galaxy)
    >has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand new roms
    >and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2 "dings" at
    >power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being the reason it
    >won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and traced all pins
    >on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out the socket. Also
    >double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check out ok. I mean I
    >can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the next destination, is
    >that necessary??
    >
    >What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    >googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    >be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!!!
    >
    >Dave Martin

    Stern MPU-200 uses TWO 5101's- U8 *and* U13- they work together (for 8-bit
    addressing rather than 4-bit?). So you may have a bad U13- not U8...

    Ray J.
    --
    Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
    Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    "Dave Martin" <pinballs@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a
    Galaxy)
    > has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand new roms
    > and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2 "dings" at
    > power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being the reason
    it
    > won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and traced all
    pins
    > on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out the socket.
    Also
    > double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check out ok. I mean I
    > can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the next destination, is
    > that necessary??
    >
    > What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    > googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    > be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    >
    > Dave Martin

    Thanks for the replies. I've got the right 5101, 100ns. I guess I'll
    replace the socket just to be sure I can rule that out, but I did check for
    shorts from pin to pin and found nada. I did test the 5101 in my Seawitch
    and it works fine, so I know the chip is good.

    Also for what it's worth, I'm tracing from the top of the chip's pin leg to
    the next point when I trace.

    Thanks again,
    Dave

    Dave Martin wrote:

    >OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a Galaxy)
    >has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand new roms
    >and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2 "dings" at
    >power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being the reason it
    >won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and traced all pins
    >on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out the socket. Also
    >double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check out ok. I mean I
    >can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the next destination, is
    >that necessary??
    >
    >What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    >googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    >be appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!!!
    >
    >Dave Martin

    OK, I took the time to put in a new socket for U8 this evening. Still
    no difference!! Anyone else got any ideas as to what to look for next??

    Thanks!

    Dave

    Try measuring the voltage to the 5101's. -- Pin 22.

    -- Ed

    > Dave Martin wrote:
    >
    >>OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a
    >>Galaxy) has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand
    >>new roms and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2
    >>"dings" at power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being
    >>the reason it won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and
    >>traced all pins on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out
    >>the socket. Also double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check
    >>out ok. I mean I can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the
    >>next destination, is that necessary??
    >>
    >>What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    >>googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    >>be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks!!!
    >>
    >>Dave Martin
    >>

    > OK, I took the time to put in a new socket for U8 this evening. Still no
    > difference!! Anyone else got any ideas as to what to look for next??
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Dave

    yes double check those traces acording to clay's site I just went thru this.
    on 2 boards
    1 stern mpu200
    1 bally -35
    on the clay's site it states the pin outs for the 5101 check it's relation
    to the pia and the other chips some have 2 locations.
    I missed one ripped off trace connection repaired that then bingo it worked.
    Timathie

    "Dave Martin" <pinballs@ptd.net> wrote in message
    > Dave Martin wrote:
    >
    >>OK, this one is driving me kinda nuts. This MPU (Stern MPU 200 in a
    >>Galaxy) has NO acid damage and there is no battery. I've installed brand
    >>new roms and jumpered accordingly. The LED flashes 2 times and I get 2
    >>"dings" at power on. I know everything points to the 5101 U8 chip being
    >>the reason it won't get to the 3rd flash. So, I installed a new chip and
    >>traced all pins on that U8 chip and they all check out OK. This rules out
    >>the socket. Also double checked the socket on U7 and they all trace/check
    >>out ok. I mean I can put in a new socket but if they all trace to the
    >>next destination, is that necessary??
    >>
    >>What is the next thing to look at here? I can't find any more info after
    >>googling or looking at Clay's site. Any help as to what to look for would
    >>be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks!!!
    >>
    >>Dave Martin
    >>

    > OK, I took the time to put in a new socket for U8 this evening. Still no
    > difference!! Anyone else got any ideas as to what to look for next??
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Dave

Video Games