Charley

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Hi,
I'm currently looking to build a new PC and I don't know which CPU / mobo to choose.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Charles Morin
Sales Director
EENiX Networks .: www.eenix.com

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I want to buy a new car, any suggestion?

Please be more precise...

- What is your actual system?
- What will you do everyday with the PC? Gaming, surfing the web, coding...
- What will you do less often? Video Encoding, DVD Watching...
- What wil you NEVER do with your system? Gaming, programming...
- What is important for you? A cool system, a silent system...
- Do you plan to keep part of your actual system?
- What is your budget? 500$US for everything or 3000$US
- How long you keep your PC usually? 6 months, 3 years...

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

Charley

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
Oh, sorry!

My actual system is:
Intel P4 2.6C fsb800 512K w/ HT
ASUS P4P800 865PE
1ghz Samsung DDR400 PC3200 Dual Channel
Powercolor ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 128ddr
etc..

I'm actually hesitating between AMD and Intel, but according to my personal experiences with AMD, i prefer Intel a little bit much.

I will keep my DDR memory and my hard disk (WD800JB). I only need a mobo, a CPU, a case, PSU and GPU.

I want something based on performance. I'm gaming a lot, and I am programming a lot too. Finally, I'm doing a tons of things with my computers.

I don't have a fixed budget, but I don't want to pay 1000$ CDN for a processor (example: P4 extreme 3.4)

I'm looking for a RealATI Radeon 9600XT or 9800Pro according to the GPU.

Hope this will help!

Thank you!

Charles Morin
Sales Director

endyen

Splendid
Nice system. Do you OC?
You will have to be looking at PCI-exp graphics, but it's a little early. Just blow a bunch of money on a high end graphics card like a 6800gt, and wait till next year.
Running your current chip at 3ghz wouldn't hurt.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a faster CPU or overclock the one you've got, and get at least a 9800Pro. You should look at 2 X 512 Ballistix and push that CPU up to 3.2ghz or so. There is no Intel solution right now that is worth dumping your existing system over.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd overclock your current system, and perhaps consider a new video card. It's so close to what's currently available in performance, I'd wait until the new processors come out in 8-12 months before I'd even consider an overhaul.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I want to buy a new car, any suggestion?

Why buy when you can build? Bring ANY car to me, and I'll make it the hottest thing you've ever driven!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Charley

Distinguished
May 18, 2004
My Mobo can overcloak the CPU @ ~3.0ghz, but I guess he will need some extra cooling.. The other point I've noticed is that the memory clockspeed goes down when overcloaking the CPU. Is there a program or a hint that can "force" the memory clock to 400mhz, even if the processor is overcloaked?

What do you guys think about it?

Charles Morin
Sales Director

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Your memory operates at a ratio of CPU frequency. If you overclock your CPU anywhere between 200 and 250MHz, your memory has to either be overclocked or underclocked. The next ratio down is 4/5 bus speed, so your memory would be at DDR400 once again if you overclocked your CPU bus to 250MHz (200MHz is 4/5 of 250MHz, 200MHz is the clock rate for DDR400).

Because 250MHz is a fairly high overclock, I suggest you consult the "Overclocking>CPU" forum for more advice.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
HE HE HE!!!!

So you could turn my girlfriend Suzuki Swift 1995 (1.3 Liter, 75 HP) into a Formula 1?

-
A7N8X / <font color=green><b>Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> <- <i>Is this affecting my credibility?</i>
<font color=red>Radeon 8500 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290 <- <i>It's enough for WoW!</i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You've never driven a Formula 1 car. But I can swap out the engine and get you a bunch of power, 500-1000HP. Some "minor body and chassis" modifications will be required.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I saw an 850HP big block Yugo...what makes you laugh will make you cry!

Yeh, I can do that stuff. The question is, are you FREAK enough?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I'm actually hesitating between AMD and Intel, but according to my personal experiences with AMD, i prefer Intel a little bit much.

I will keep my DDR memory and my hard disk (WD800JB). I only need a mobo, a CPU, a case, PSU and GPU.

I want something based on performance. I'm gaming a lot, and I am programming a lot too. Finally, I'm doing a tons of things with my computers.
The overclocking is the best bet for you. But if you want to go for a new system, Athlon 64 beat Intel in Gaming and Compiling, so AMD would be the best for your usage.

By the way, AMD system are really reliable when you buy GOOD components. What plagued old AMD PC was that they were using cheap Mobo and unreliable chipset. If you get an nForce3 or nForce4 based MB with good memory you will not be disapointed by an AMD system. But Intel P4 are not bad choice, if you like to heat your room all year long! :smile:

The new Pentium 4 600 Series will dissipate up to 160 Watts. Athlon 64 MAXIMUM power output is 90 Watts.

-

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Actually I'm not a Car Freak. By my main car is a Subaru Impreza 2.5TS 2002. And I might put a turbo in it when I will hit the 100000 KM mark. But I'm not sure, it wil depend on the cost/boost ratio. Because the actual 165HP and 160 lbs. torque is more than enough to have a bit of fun on the road! :smile:

I really like "Rally", for me, it's the most extreme/exciting tipe of Racing!

-

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I used to race rally style against the locals in my 1970 Cutlass. They all had front wheel drive mini cars. Those cars took corners well, but I'd just catch up to them as they were cornering and push them out of the corner, hehe.