HP X4000 dual P4 1.7 performance

duquetter

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2005
I own a dell 8400 with a P4 3.2 ghz CPU. I am considering purchasing an HP X4000 with dual P4 1.7 ghz CPUs. has anyone run any performance tests on the X4000 to see how it performs such as in running games and such? any input you have would be appreciated. you can email me at roduquette@comcast.net, thanks

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
It wouldnt perform better in games, it would preform worse, there are currently no games that make use of muiltithreading, so a game would only be using one of the cpus.

Watch out for the <b><font color=red>bloody</font color=red></b> Fanboys!

AMD64 2800+ :: MSI Neo-Fis2r :: 1024mb Kingmax ddr400 :: Sapphire 9800pro 128mb :: 10K WD Raptor

Addicted, finally.

RichPLS

Champion
I ran a Dell Dual P3-550 with 2-gigs PC-100 RAM till the on-board SCSI controller died 6 months ago (lasted 5 years).
I also had an Abit TH7II Athlon 1900+ budget machine with 1-gig of PC-133 RAM and in quite a few tasks, specifically AutoCad, the Dell noticably would outperform the Athlon. But not in gaming.

Anyway, depending on the application, dual processing can really be impressive.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
I caught that also, but let it slide, figured he meant the P4-Xeon series...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
there are currently no games that make use of muiltithreading
I'm pretty sure there is a version of Quake that does, but that's about it. Oh the other hand 2CPUs does mean you can dedicate one entirely to the game and let the other handle background processess.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool: