Suggestions on a good keyboard for me?

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I'm looking for a new keyboard, my current one is a Logitech K200 with a broken leg so I think I'm due a new one lol.

The main things I want are:

- Illuminated keys

Preferably the ones that light up the characters themselves rather than just having a light coming from behind the keys. This is a must and is one of the main reasons for buying a new keyboard.

- Something relatively slim

I don't have a huge amount of space and I prefer the look of slim keyboards anyway. I rarely use the numpad so one without one is an option to save on length. Something <450mm long is preferable.

- Not too expensive

I don't have a budget as such but I wouldn't like to spend more than £40-50 on a keyboard.

There are other things that I like but these are not too important. Logitech would be preferred since my mouse and speakers are Logitech but I don't really mind. Also I like chiclet style keys but these seem rare on desktop keyboards so that's also not important. Lots of macro/multimedia keys isn't important either, in fact I prefer not to have them. Something with quieter keys is also preferred but again I'm not too bothered here.

Here are the ones I have been looking at so far:

http://www.ebuyer.com/148294-microsoft-sidewinder-x6-gamers-keyboard-with-detatchable-keypad-usb-agb-00006

Illuminated, cheap-ish and detachable keypad but very ugly in my opinion.

http://www.ebuyer.com/188212-logitech-gaming-keyboard-g110-usb-920-002241

Looks OK, has the illuminated keys and is Logitech but I'm thinking it might be a bit too long because of those pesky macro keys.

Any other ideas?

Yes I do game, why wouldn't that one be good for it?

The G110 does look good but it's just too long. I can't really have anything longer than my current keyboard, the K200 for business.

Do you have a link for the Microsoft Keyboard? Can't find it on Google.

raptorxrx

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2011
I'm almost positive he meant the Sidewinder, the one you linked. The thing with the one I linked is that some people say it sucks at gaming, because of keyblocks and ghosting, and others say it has no problems.

I've happily gamed on £5 mice and keyboards for years and haven't cared so I'm sure it wouldn't bother me. It does seem a bit too long and a bit too expensive though. I may go with the Sidewinder, It's a good price and will give me plenty of room on my desk. Still think it's a bit ugly but oh well.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
There's the x4, which looks a little more palatable. A few dollars cheaper.
http://www.ebuyer.com/189926-microsoft-sidewinder-x4-keyboard-usb-uk-layout-jqd-00006

I'm currently using a Mionix Zibal 60, but it's not for everyone and it's pricey. I got it on PM for $129 Cdn. It's mechanical, standard size keyboard, standard keys (no oversize delete key or any other; which I like), no macros buttons, individual illuminated letters (though colour may not be to everyone's liking). I love it so far, though there are mixed reviews on this keyboard. I only had for a week so I'm no expert and it's my first mechanical in many years (I couldn't find my 10+ year old still buried in boxes; which still works well, but letters are faded and worn).