Sign in with
Your question

Why wont my computer start up or auto repair

Last response: in Windows 7
December 15, 2012 8:21:43 PM

Hello,
I need help. I'm eighteen and the tech support of my family, but even I'm stumped. See, our windows 7 HP comp started having problems throughout the thanksgiving week(which was really lame for me, besides not having to help cook). The Auto repair was useless, and to make matters worst, I started getting the evil blue screen.
After a week of headaches, I decided it wasn't worth it. So, I used safe mode to save all our pictures and my books on a flashdrive(nothing else, just so it whatever was hurting the comp wouldn't come back on). Then I decided to recover the comp so I could rid it of whatever was causing the awful blue screen. It fixed it, until recently.
Now understand, I didn't put anything back on the comp(not even the stuff I saved to my flashdrive) since it irritated me so much before, so I know I didn't do anything to cause this.
See, now the comp won't start up at all without the Auto Repair coming on. Even when I get the option to start up windows normally and bypass the auto repair, I still end up back on the auto repair. I'm totally lost on what to do.
Please help before I murder this comp.
And I have an awful feeling its in the hard drive that this is messing up, and I know nothing about that kind of stuff.
December 15, 2012 8:28:05 PM

If you have a Windows disc a fresh install will likely fix your problem but there might be some other suggestions from other people wait for those do this as a last resort.
m
l
December 15, 2012 8:39:41 PM

If you backed up all you need onto the flashdrive try a full re-install since repair is unsuccessful (you do have the orig W7 disc?). If you have a 3rd party repair recovery (boot) disk e.g. partition manager then you could prep the HDD beforehand (delete partitions & reformat) for extra guarantee, if not, give full install a go.
m
l
Related resources
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 8:50:32 PM

make a hirums boot cd. run memtest and anti virus sweep from it and do a smart read on the hard drive. then go to seagate or wd and download there hard drive test tools and see if your hard drive passes. before you run memtest turn the pc off unplug it from the wall and open the case...check for dust binding any of the fans and look for any lose ram or video cards. over time or moves they can walk.
m
l
December 16, 2012 12:27:41 PM

helper800 said:
If you have a Windows disc a fresh install will likely fix your problem but there might be some other suggestions from other people wait for those do this as a last resort.

Yeah, but that leads to another problem. My big family is full of computer game players who do not hold onto or take care of any CDs they don't recognize. I have no clue what happened to the Windows Disc. See, we've had this comp for at least four years or so. (I think. I know its been at least over two years) I'll try to find it while I wait for more answers, just in case. Thanks. :)  :) 
m
l
!