Werfault.exe / PC Fails to boot

Artficial

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Hey there,

Over the last few days, I've suddenly started having a problem where I get a Werfault.exe window popping up and my PC will just grind to a complete halt, and the majority of programs won't open after and this error window will just keep appearing.

If I try to restart my PC after this error has appeared but it gets stuck at the POST screen for a several seconds then restarts, and just keeps going. Pressing any of the keys to get into BIOS etc don't do anything, but after a while of pressing the reset / power button and leaving some time it will eventually boot.

No idea where to even start with trying to resolve this, most google searches just lead to people telling you how to turn off the Windows error reporting which is just semi hiding the problem rather than actually fixing it.

PC Specs:

Windows 7 64-bit
i5 750 2.67Ghz
4GB DDR3 RAM
ATI Radeon 5770

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

werfault.exe is actually an error coming directly from the Windows Error Reporting Service having an issue. Since this service seems to be the source of the issue, you will need to hack it old school and do some trial and error troubleshooting. You can do this by asking yourself the following questions:

1. What have I added new to the computer over the last few days that might have caused the error? Software / Hardware changes?
2. Did I recently do any updates to Windows or any other software on the computer in the last few days?

The key thing here is to backstep and try to identify what has changed that started the error coming up.
You might also be able to run sfc /scannow to have the computer attempt to identify and repair and issues with the OS which in turn would repair the Error Reporting Service.