prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Hi everyone I'm new to these forums but I have a lot of respect for Tom's and I'm sure the readers and posters here are very knowledgeable. I have a question about CPU-locking as it applies to 3D graphics, and I wasn't sure if I should post this message here or in the graphics forum. Anyway here goes:
I understand that if a game is not terribly graphic-intensive, the GPU can be held back by the CPU and memory subsystems. In these cases it is better to upgrade CPU/mainboard/memory, rather than buy a new GPU. We have seen with the most current games that this issue of CPU-locking shows up even on high-end systems IF you bring SLI into the picture. It is necessary to enable AA/AF, and run the screen resolution way up, in order to see performance gains with SLI. Now for the question. In my next build, would it be a wise investment to get an SLI-enabled mainboard, and just one GPU, with the intention of purchasing another GPU in 10-12 months? 10-12 months from now my athlon FX53 or whatever will be fairly slow, and I'm wondering at that point, if another GPU would really offer a significant benefit, or if the games coming out then would be CPU-locked.

pat

Expert
Well, the best thing to do is to have a balanced system...see, even if you upgrade you cpu/mob/ram and still keep your old riva tnt 64 megs video card, you wont see much difference. the same is true if you put a Radeon x800xtpe on an old p2 350 system.

That being said, on game that are not graphic intensive, yes the cpu can be part of the performance, but to a point, it may have to "wait" for the slow graphic card to get data and update screen. So, a fast video card always has is place. By fast, I dont mean top of the line, but fast thing, as something like radeon 9600xt.

Benchmark give just frame per seconds. I dont know why?, because what matter, is image quality at decent frame rate.

You dont buy a fast graphic card to have 300 fps at low image quality...you buy it to have at least 40 FPS at the best quality setting. So yes, the reason to have faster video is to have better quality, so yes you'll want to turn on aa/af and resolution to see difference. Because 200 fps in 800x600 no aa/af will look the same as 500 fps in 800x600 no aa/af.

In 12 month, everything will be outdated, as you state. At this time, you'll still be affraid to upgrade because in another 12 month, what you'll want to buy will be outdated, so you'l end up with nothing... Better buy the fastest you can afford today and enjoy it now. This way, it may last longer and still be adequate in 12 month, pushing the upgrade a bit further...that will save you money over time.

For MY built, for NOW, I wouldnt go SLI, put the 100$+ that SLI cost over standard board to buy a fast video board and CPU...I wouldnt buy a board that has plenty of feature that I wont use to save money there again to put on a faster CPU and video card. Oh, a fast HDD is welcome too... But that just me ...your opinion could differ...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

endyen

Splendid
In one year? Not bloody likely! Most game developers design games to run well on 2 year old systems. You would be supprized at how many happy gamers ar running on palomino cores, with Ti 4200 cards.
Sli is ment for those who have to stay bleeding edge.
In a year, with SLI, you will still be able to play games at 1600, with AA/AF at max. ( if they are "The way it was ment to be played" games) If you are running an 850PE, you will be able to play about the same.
The advantage to SLI will really kick in, in 2 years, when otherwise you would have to lower your res a notch. In 3 years, if you upgrade to the best chip available for your mobo, SLI will pay off in spades.

prolfe

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
Thanks for your enthusiastic answers. I always stay one step back from the bleeding edge in order to save a little money, so my theoretical setup is: An FX-53 or A64 3500+, once dual-core is released and functional; a 6800GT once the next gen Nvidia comes out(I'm an Nvidia fan), and one open slot for SLI (for another 6800GT down the road). Do you guys think this setup will realize significant performance gains with an additional GPU 10-12 months after it's assembled?

pat

Expert
"Do you guys think this setup will realize significant performance gains with an additional GPU 10-12 months after it's assembled?"

What will be the purpose to add a second GPU if new technology allow faster HDD transfer, faster RAM speed, or newer CPU as well that a second GPU with an improved system with faster video performance???

Will you be tempted to upgrade your board, and why not the CPU...Why worrying about 12 months from now?? Nobody know what will happen there..maybe game will be really playable once there with today's hardware so you wont upgrade anyway.

Instead of building a system that will give you theorical boost in performance in 12 month, just get the best you can afford now. Let say you buy a nice nforce3 non SLI board, with a 3500+, and a nvidia 6800gt card. This system will be fast. What if in 12 months, newer SLI technology improve performance over current one is announced? what if faster HDD interface for faster level loading is real? Wont you just sell you current CPU/mobo/ram to get newer thing and really enjoy a faster system?

So to answer your question, I dont care what will happen in 12 month..I'll may be dead... So I just enjoy the best now...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
I have a GF5200 256mb in my old system running an athalon XP 1900+ with 1gb of pc2100. Although it's not top dog it still plays games fairly well, even some of the newer games. far cry, conflict vietnam, L.O.T.R, etc.....( of course at lower resolutions. *1024X768 )

We always want newer and faster but sometimes what you have is good enough. If you like to $pend money like I do then go for a whole new system. :lol:

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lazerous on 01/11/05 11:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>