Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Can someone point me toward some nice gaming laptops?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 17, 2010 2:42:12 AM

I'm looking for a laptop that preferrably has an Intel CPU with an Nvidia gpu. The budget is around or about 1800 dollars. I would prefer a large screen around 18''. I would also like at least 6gb ram. If the 480m GPU's were out i would say i want a laptop with one of those installed but if i got a laptop that would be compatable with an 480m later on that would be to my liking.
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2010 7:00:18 PM

Quote:
I can't understand why someone would want to game on a laptop, let alone pay $2000 for inferior performance and a small screen. Not to mention it's non upgradeable. Makes no sense to me.

Gaming on a laptop is kinds like hunting with a bb gun.



Well it's certainly easier than toting a mATX case and a monitor to those LAN parties... For some people, mobility > performance... and that's ok! Laptops can play games fine most of the time anyways, since their screen resolution is relatively lower, so their somewhat less powerful cards can still output respectable performance.

Using the same analogy, you don't need an .50 MG to hunt rabbits.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 17, 2010 7:02:45 PM

Flankercom said:
I'm looking for a laptop that preferrably has an Intel CPU with an Nvidia gpu. The budget is around or about 1800 dollars. I would prefer a large screen around 18''. I would also like at least 6gb ram. If the 480m GPU's were out i would say i want a laptop with one of those installed but if i got a laptop that would be compatable with an 480m later on that would be to my liking.


Hi there,

The Toshiba Qosmio X505-Q880 meets most of your specs, but it has NVIDIA GeForce GTS 360M graphics (not 480M). However, it has an 18.4" screen and 6 GB of RAM!

What do you think?

Cheers,
Isabella
MSFT Windows Outreach Team
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 10:54:36 AM

I just bought the Acer 8943G and am loving it so far (but early days).

It has i7 CPU, 18.4 inch full HD screen, 4GB RAM (upgradeable to 8GB), Blu Ray and the clincher for me was the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5850 which is one of the better lappy GPU's around.

Cost 1200GBP but the UK is generally far more expensive than the US.

A lot of people will diss Acer as a cheapo brand but I had one before without issues and my g/f is using one now without any problems.

Also take a look at the HP Envy 17 range (as that was my second choice and there wasn't much in it).

Msi do some nice models too but the red trim was just a bit too much for me.

Happy hunting!

Alan
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 11:37:51 AM

http://originpc.com/eon-gaming-laptop-features.asp

over budget, but damn powerful. just thought I'd float the idea since not a lot of people seem to know about origin. and they are the best Custom PC builders around. if you are willing to spend a little more, they can do one hell of a laptop.
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 6:45:40 PM

Quote:
I can't understand why someone would want to game on a laptop, let alone pay $2000 for inferior performance and a small screen. Not to mention it's non upgradeable. Makes no sense to me.

Gaming on a laptop is kinds like hunting with a bb gun.


I'm shopping for a buddy, he started working out of town 6 days a week and stays at hotels alot.

Black edition Phenom II 965 Quadcore w/Corsair H50 liquid cooler
MB:MSI K9N2 Diamond
GPU:Nvidia geforce fermi 480sc
Ram:Crucial x4 2gb sticks 1066MHZ (8 gigs)
Case:Coolermaster HAF 932 fullsize (I LOVE IT)
Powersupply:Kingwin 800watt modular
OS:Windows 7 64bit home basic
Quote: Computer geeks are like pornstars, theres a crap load of us out there but nobody can tell from sitting inside an Applebee's.
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 6:55:01 PM

welshmousepk said:
http://originpc.com/eon-gaming-laptop-features.asp

over budget, but damn powerful. just thought I'd float the idea since not a lot of people seem to know about origin. and they are the best Custom PC builders around. if you are willing to spend a little more, they can do one hell of a laptop.


Thanks, wow they really can build a killer system but it seems they are a bit pricey huh?

Black edition Phenom II 965 Quadcore w/Corsair H50 liquid cooler
MB:MSI K9N2 Diamond
GPU:Nvidia geforce fermi 480sc
Ram:Crucial x4 2gb sticks 1066MHZ (8 gigs)
Case:Coolermaster HAF 932 fullsize (I LOVE IT)
Powersupply:Kingwin 800watt modular
OS:Windows 7 64bit home basic
Quote: Computer geeks are like pornstars, theres a crap load of us out there but nobody can tell from sitting inside an Applebee's.
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 7:05:13 PM

This is for gaming purposes.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 3:13:02 AM

You can check various customized laptops around the internet, and they do pack alot of power in comparison to the pre-ordered ones, at least you can name what you need and that is it. If you buy for gaming purposes then the gpu is the heart of your laptop, with a good support of processor and ram.

I recommend you check xoticpc, i checked various configuration websites and i find them the cheapest available in my needs.
m
0
l
!