Opinions? Home Wireless Network?

Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
wireless home network -- specifically, buyingMicrosoft wireless
802.11g network rig. Several reasons for this choice

(1) Generic -- added Internet security (built-in firewall, etc.);
(2) Microsoft wireless network products are cheap (basestation <$50);
(3) Can surf on my laptop in bed (okay, maybe I need a life, but
that's for another board).

Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
"Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
for 2 years, which seems sufficient.

Thx.

Boad

I've used and sold to clients Linksys routers, both wired and Wifi (with 4 wired
Ethernet ports) for a couple of years now. No problems, except that you can't
use the automated setup CD provided by Linksys. Instead, contact Verizon
customer service by phone to walk you through the fairly easy manual setup.

As for WiFi cards, I prefer Proxim Orinoco or Cisco Aironet cards, but this is
my own personal preference for business-class equipment. I've also used Linksys
cards.

Um, why buy Microsoft WiFi gear if they are phasing it out because they could
not compete in the WiFi marketplace? You won't pay much more for gear from a
company with respectable track record in WiFi. Linksys is now a wholly owned
subsidiary of Cisco, whom most expect to be around for a while... Ben Myers

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 01:08:48 GMT, jboad@hotmail.xxx (Boad) wrote:

>Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
>wireless home network -- specifically, buyingMicrosoft wireless
>802.11g network rig. Several reasons for this choice
>
>(1) Generic -- added Internet security (built-in firewall, etc.);
>(2) Microsoft wireless network products are cheap (basestation <$50);
>(3) Can surf on my laptop in bed (okay, maybe I need a life, but
>that's for another board).
>
>Any known problems with Microsoft wireless routers and Verizon DSL??
>"Better" wireless network equipment choices? Microsoft is apparently
>discontinuing its network equipment, but free phone support continues
>for 2 years, which seems sufficient.
>
>Thx.
>
>Boad

I have both Microsoft B and G routers and really like them. They offer some
nice features and work well for little cost. Don't know of any other router
that configures as easy as the ones offered by Microsoft. You can't beat the
value for under $50. In fact, some places on the web offer the Microsoft
MN-700 G router plus the Microsoft G wireless card as a bundled package for
about $60. Office Depot was offering both the G router and wireless card for
about $70 total off the shelf on clearance, but they are getting hard to
find now. Don't worry about the discontinuation issues... they are an
excellent value for the money.

I say go for it! For a simple home network setup, you should be very happy.
Most people who have wireless networks buy them to use their laptops from
the bed, so join the crowd.

"Boad" <jboad@hotmail.xxx> wrote in message

> Have a Dell Dimension 8200 running Home XP. Am looking to set up
> wireless home network -- specifically, buyingMicrosoft wireless
> 802.11g network rig. Several reasons for this choice

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I would call Verizon and see what runs better . Linksys or Microsoft. I am
running a Linksys G with a cable modem and Comcast. My sister is running a
Linksys B with Aol through Time warner. The setup was very easy with Win XP.
I brought the router and PCI card at Amazon.