A little more complicated than "what drivers do I install"?

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I just read a post where someone is having the same problems as me.

I simply want to wipe my computer clean and re-install my windows 7 ultimate. My disc drive's autorun does not work though. I couldn't figure out to make it boot up the disc until I pressed F11 and it came to this screen:

I had to pick my CD/dvd because my sata would not recognize the disc. Finally when I selected my cd/dvd drive, it started the process of installation until I came to the

I tried selecting everything but nothing would work.

I finally got this screen:

and the only tree I could expand was the boot.

I selected windows and I can't remember what other folders but I got to drive store under system 32 (that's what I read on line). There are tons of drivers there, but I have no idea which one to select. I tried out a few, but it went right back to the screen of asking me what drivers to pick.

Like the guy above me, i've been working on this since last night and have gotten no where. Btw, my specs are:

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 12/7/2012, 22:09:22
Machine name: JIM-PC
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7522
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6134MB RAM
Page File: 2263MB used, 10002MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 260
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_05E2&SUBSYS_0CDD19F1&REV_A1
Display Memory: 3684 MB
Dedicated Memory: 873 MB
Shared Memory: 2811 MB
Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: ACER X223W (Analog)
Monitor Model: Acer X223W
Monitor Id: ACR0050
Native Mode: 1680 x 1050(p) (59.883Hz)
Output Type: DVI

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

aramisathei

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
Trying to help, but I don't understand what your issue is.
It looks like Windows isn't picking up your main drive as a drive you can install to?

If this is the case, I'd check the bios to see if your drive is set as IDE or AHCI/RAID.
I used to have a lot of problems with AHCI/RAID because my Windows install didn't support my motherboard's controllers at the time.

If the issue is AHCI/RAID, you can download your motherboard's AHCI drivers and put them on a usb drive so they're available during installation--this SHOULD correct your problem, if that's the issue.

^ Yep that looks like the problem from the screen shots you posted. I would do as aramisathei suggested and find the AHCI drivers from your systems website. Put them on a USB stick and then they will be ready for when you install. It looks like Windows 7 does not have drivers for your controller.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
thanks for all the responses.

I switched from IDE to AHCI and that did nothing.

I checked on my motherboard's manual for what to do with windows 7 but it only gives instructions for xp and vista.

I went to the product page and downloaded some drivers. don't know if they are the right ones or not but I'm going to try.

It comes in a compressed zip package. Before I put it on a USB stick, do I need to unpack it or leave it in its compressed package as it is?

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
this is just to keep things up to date.

I tried various drivers from MSI (my motheboard manufacturer) but nothing worked.

I called MSI and they said since I have my default set to IDE, windows should never ask for any kind of drivers. The technician said I would have to open up my computer and see if the controller cards are on the intel or the jmicron or something like that because this is a hardware issue.

To be honest, I had no idea what he was talking about and I'm not sure what I will do from here.

uglijimus

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Ok, I finally got it figured out. I'm not exactly sure of the reason but the ISO I had was not UDF compatible or something like that. You can use powerISO or ultraISO to rewrite the ISO or use this tool:

http://www.withinwindows.com/2009/11/01/use-the-windows-7-usbdvd-download-tool-with-custom-isos/

after doing this, it will be recognized by the windows 7 USB/download tool
(http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool) where you can mount it to a USB flash drive and boot from there, or you could simply burn the the newly modified ISO to a DVD and boot from disk at the BIOS.

TRENDING THREADS