TZ Replacement Clock Boards

I want to replace the clock boards in a TZ I recently acquired with
the LED boards. I noticed you can get a set of "exact" replacement
boards from Pbliz.com for $120, or an "improved single board" version
from marcospecialties.com for $79.95. The single board sounds better
to me (cheaper, less parts), so can anyone comment on the differences
or why I shouldn't get it instead? Just curious if anyone's gotten
one or has info. Thanks,
25 answers Last reply
More about replacement clock boards

    You can Google almost endlessly on this, but the
    end result we be that the Liz boards are the best, and
    the tech support that goes with them is unsurpassed.

    These are the only boards I install in any TZ that I
    service or repair. My TZ has the protos. :)

    (And they work very well, too)

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote

    > I want to replace the clock boards in a TZ I recently acquired with
    > the LED boards. I noticed you can get a set of "exact" replacement
    > boards from Pbliz.com for $120, or an "improved single board" version
    > from marcospecialties.com for $79.95. The single board sounds better
    > to me (cheaper, less parts), so can anyone comment on the differences
    > or why I shouldn't get it instead? Just curious if anyone's gotten
    > one or has info. Thanks,

    I've got a set of the Liz's since they first came out and still working
    great in commercial use. Thanks Joel ! LTG :)

    "Fred Kemper" <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote in message
    > You can Google almost endlessly on this, but the
    > end result we be that the Liz boards are the best, and
    > the tech support that goes with them is unsurpassed.
    >
    > These are the only boards I install in any TZ that I
    > service or repair. My TZ has the protos. :)
    >
    > (And they work very well, too)
    >
    > --
    > Fred
    > TX
    > CARGPB#8
    > ******************

    Given that many of us here would be making that swap for home use
    anyway, would the industrial strength PBLiz board even be necessary?
    Why not save all that cash and go for the single board model for home
    use?

    Yes *I* have....

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ===========================

    Fred Kemper wrote:
    > Yes *I* have....

    Since you've done it, could you share your data with us? Thanks! I
    have to make this decision myself very soon.

    Chad

    "Strohz" <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I want to replace the clock boards in a TZ I recently acquired with
    > the LED boards. I noticed you can get a set of "exact" replacement
    > boards from Pbliz.com for $120, or an "improved single board" version
    > from marcospecialties.com for $79.95. The single board sounds better
    > to me (cheaper, less parts), so can anyone comment on the differences
    > or why I shouldn't get it instead? Just curious if anyone's gotten
    > one or has info. Thanks,

    Buy the same (Rottendog Amusements) board you saw at Marco from the
    manufacturer for even less - $80 shipped:

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rottendog/index.htm

    I did, a year ago, and it has worked flawlessly ever since.

    Earth to Fred, earth to Fred; come in, Fred. Please share your data.

    [The deafening silence reverberates, broken by the occasional chirp of
    a cricket ...]

    Looking at pictures and other info on the two boards:

    PBLiz:
    SMT LEDs = better diffusion but less light
    Schmitt optos = less signal problems
    Parallel opto emitters = 2W heat dissipation (warms the clock)
    Construction quality reported high

    Rottendog:
    5mm LEDs = more light but pattern may be uneven
    Can't tell the optos. They are not Schmitt, but could be high-gain or
    darlington
    Parallel opto emitters
    Can't tell construction quality but the single board approach seems
    good.

    Series opto emitters would save 1.5W of power, and probably eliminate
    any noticeable warming of the clock. You could get to 1.75, but that
    would be pushing it.

    I don't have either, I fixed my original. That's also a viable solution.

    It is not possible as anything I have to offer will
    be considered biased or perceived as an attack.

    Sorry.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Joseph 'Tony' Dziedzic" <tonydz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:1126355394.280093.179700@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
    > Earth to Fred, earth to Fred; come in, Fred. Please share your data.
    >
    > [The deafening silence reverberates, broken by the occasional chirp of
    > a cricket ...]

    I'll throw out my experience.

    It is my understanding that Joel at Pinliz has extensive professional
    training and experience with Pcbs.

    He also stands behind his products.

    I had some trouble with my clock which in the end had absolutely nothing to
    do with the Pinliz boards. Joel knows that clock inside out and he spent
    hours with me on the phone so I could fix it myself. I replaced the boards
    because they were an issue but the clock had underlying mechanical
    issues(siezed gears) and Joel spent a ton of time and energy with me so I
    could get the thing fixed. This was expertise that Joel gave me free of
    charge that had nothing to do with the boards. He just wanted my clock to
    work. I was very appreciative.

    In addition, I have never read on this board of anyone having a Pinliz
    product that didn't work as advertised. I have read of problems with some of
    the others.

    Otto

    CARGPB11

    I will second that sentiment. I bought a PinLiz clock board set and the
    problem persisted because of other issues with my clock. He has helped me
    out even though it really isn't his problem. I would go with Pinliz board
    just due to that fact. I also have his proximity detector and I've never
    had a problem with it.

    Eric

    "Otto" <ottondebremove&%$*@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > I'll throw out my experience.
    >
    > It is my understanding that Joel at Pinliz has extensive professional
    > training and experience with Pcbs.
    >
    > He also stands behind his products.
    >
    > I had some trouble with my clock which in the end had absolutely nothing
    > do with the Pinliz boards. Joel knows that clock inside out and he spent
    > hours with me on the phone so I could fix it myself. I replaced the boards
    > because they were an issue but the clock had underlying mechanical
    > issues(siezed gears) and Joel spent a ton of time and energy with me so I
    > could get the thing fixed. This was expertise that Joel gave me free of
    > charge that had nothing to do with the boards. He just wanted my clock to
    > work. I was very appreciative.
    >
    > In addition, I have never read on this board of anyone having a Pinliz
    > product that didn't work as advertised. I have read of problems with some
    of
    > the others.
    >
    > Otto
    >
    > CARGPB11
    >
    > My web page: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding

    Great cop-out, Fred. I don't think anyone will buy it, though. If you have
    facts to share - as opposed to a personal (cheerleading) opinion - then who
    cares how it is perceived? Present both sides, and if the data supports your
    opinion, you're golden.

    And that's not a dig against PinLiz, either, so don't construe it as one.

    Tony

    In article <dfv2c401k2p@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Fred Kemper"
    <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:
    > It is not possible as anything I have to offer will
    >be considered biased or perceived as an attack.
    >
    >Sorry.

    Not a cop-out, it's a matter of history on rgp.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic" <tonydz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:HcGdnU7TKehphr7eRVn-jA@comcast.com...
    > Great cop-out, Fred. I don't think anyone will buy it, though. If you have
    > facts to share - as opposed to a personal (cheerleading) opinion - then who
    > cares how it is perceived? Present both sides, and if the data supports your
    > opinion, you're golden.
    >
    > And that's not a dig against PinLiz, either, so don't construe it as one.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > In article <dfv2c401k2p@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Fred Kemper"
    > <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:
    > > It is not possible as anything I have to offer will
    > >be considered biased or perceived as an attack.
    > >
    > >Sorry.

    I replaced my clock board with PBLiz boards a few years ago. Joel
    answered a bunch of questions I had regarding the replacement, and
    showed me he was not in a hurry to just sell me a set of boards. I've
    been completely satisfied with the extra money paid compared to other
    board sets.

    I searched through all available information at the time, but could not
    dig up any helpfull information that would have made me look a lot
    harder at any other board sets.

    Actually speaking of TZ clocks, I saw a proto TZ today that had a clock
    that was so quiet, I could barely hear the gears as it wound. Mine is
    not terribly loud, but this one was dead silent. The owner did not know
    if the motor was replaced or if any lube was put on the gears. Wanted
    $3600 for it, I did not think in its condition it was worth it.

    Steve

    I replaced my clock board with PBLiz boards a few years ago. Joel
    answered a bunch of questions I had regarding the replacement, and
    showed me he was not in a hurry to just sell me a set of boards. I've
    been completely satisfied with the extra money paid compared to other
    board sets.

    I searched through all available information at the time, but could not
    dig up any helpfull information that would have made me look a lot
    harder at any other board sets.

    Actually speaking of TZ clocks, I saw a proto TZ today that had a clock
    that was so quiet, I could barely hear the gears as it wound. Mine is
    not terribly loud, but this one was dead silent. The owner did not know
    if the motor was replaced or if any lube was put on the gears. Wanted
    $3600 for it, I did not think in its condition it was worth it.

    Steve

    We should back up here. Why do you want to replace your boards? Are
    they broken, or do you just want LEDs?

    here's a picture of my modded board. The board itself looks ugly burnt,
    but works just fine.

    If your board is broken, then maybe replacing it is in order. if not,
    then you might try the LED mod yourself first.

    Yes, it is a cop-out, and your reference to "rgp history" is just a diversion.
    Either you have the facts to support your position, or you don't. If the
    former, then provide the facts for the folks who have asked a question that
    indicates they are trying to learn something. If the latter, then simply
    admit it, and quit trying to dress up an opinion and present it as something
    else.

    To elaborate, one of the folks who asked about the differences (Chad) is a
    relatively new collector from the New England area; he's been working to bring
    a neglected TZ back into working order. We've been helping him on the Boston
    Pinball Yahoo group, and he's made excellent progress over the past few
    months.

    One of my first suggestions to him was to buy a PinLiz proxmity sensor board
    to fix his recurring switch #26 problems; that's what I do for the TZs that I
    restore. I think the Liz's stuff is well-engineered, and I've always had
    positive dealings with Joel.

    Now Chad needs a clock board set, and wants to learn WHY he should pay about
    $50 more for one option over another. Customer service is certainly a valid
    point, but can you enumerate any technical reasons that make the Liz's clock
    board set better than Jim (Rottendog) Knight's? I've heard that Jim also goes
    out of his way to support his products, although I've never personally bought
    anything from him.

    Tony

    In article <dfv74v11q3s@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Fred Kemper"
    <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:
    > Not a cop-out, it's a matter of history on rgp.

    I've stated all I'm going to on rgp in
    regards to this thread. From now
    on, all you're going to get is a "rerun".

    It is not a cop-out as stated. I've given
    the reason(s) in a previous post in this
    thread, and I suppose you will have to
    be content with that. It is more than just
    my opinion, you can be sure.

    I have dealt with Chad privately as well.

    --
    Fred
    TX

    "Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic" <tonydz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:UumdnRQISsM_y77eRVn-1w@comcast.com...
    > Yes, it is a cop-out, and your reference to "rgp history" is just a diversion.
    > Either you have the facts to support your position, or you don't. If the
    > former, then provide the facts for the folks who have asked a question that
    > indicates they are trying to learn something. If the latter, then simply
    > admit it, and quit trying to dress up an opinion and present it as something
    > else.
    >
    > To elaborate, one of the folks who asked about the differences (Chad) is a
    > relatively new collector from the New England area; he's been working to bring
    > a neglected TZ back into working order. We've been helping him on the Boston
    > Pinball Yahoo group, and he's made excellent progress over the past few
    > months.
    >
    > One of my first suggestions to him was to buy a PinLiz proxmity sensor board
    > to fix his recurring switch #26 problems; that's what I do for the TZs that I
    > restore. I think the Liz's stuff is well-engineered, and I've always had
    > positive dealings with Joel.
    >
    > Now Chad needs a clock board set, and wants to learn WHY he should pay about
    > $50 more for one option over another. Customer service is certainly a valid
    > point, but can you enumerate any technical reasons that make the Liz's clock
    > board set better than Jim (Rottendog) Knight's? I've heard that Jim also goes
    > out of his way to support his products, although I've never personally bought
    > anything from him.
    >
    > Tony
    >
    > In article <dfv74v11q3s@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Fred Kemper"
    > <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:
    > > Not a cop-out, it's a matter of history on rgp.

    I find it hard to believe that Fred did an "unbiased A-B comparison" of the
    two . . .
    > Yes *I* have....
    >
    > Fred
    > TX
    > CARGPB#8
    > ===========================
    >
    > Joseph A. 'Tony' Dziedzic wrote:
    > > Fred, in the interest of fairness, have you (or anyone) actually done a
    > > factual comparison between the different board sets that are available?
    > > know you're a PinLiz cheerleader - and I agree that they make some great
    stuff
    > > - but an unbiased A-B comparison would be useful. The one-board design
    is
    > > intriguing since it does eliminate that troublesome interboard
    connector.

    > > Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic
    > >
    > > In article <dfqtum0slj@enews4.newsguy.com>, "Fred Kemper"
    > > <pbgarage@davlin.net> wrote:
    > > > You can Google almost endlessly on this, but the
    > > >end result we be that the Liz boards are the best, and
    > > >the tech support that goes with them is unsurpassed.
    > > >
    > > >These are the only boards I install in any TZ that I
    > > >service or repair. My TZ has the protos. :)
    > > >
    > > >(And they work very well, too)

    i've bought Jim Knights board and he has done everything and anything
    to help me out. He even checked out my clock and tested it by him for
    me to figure out my problem. Top notch service and top notch guy. I
    have never delt with PBliz yet. I'm sure I will eventually.

    FWIW I say go with the Pinliz board. It's solid as a rock and the LEDs
    are damn cool. Add a Mantis blue clock housing and your good to go!

    nomad

    Well two things are at least clear now. Pinliz stands behind it's
    products and has great customer service, and people are very
    passionate about their choice :-) But it hasn't really helped me
    decide if it's worth the price difference for home use since no one
    has a direct comparison or problems with the Rottendog. Given my
    "newbie" status, I'll probably go with the PinLiz and know I've got
    support if something doesn't work right. Thanks for the opinions...

    On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 02:38:18 GMT, Strohz <strohz@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I want to replace the clock boards in a TZ I recently acquired with
    >the LED boards. I noticed you can get a set of "exact" replacement
    >boards from Pbliz.com for $120, or an "improved single board" version
    >from marcospecialties.com for $79.95. The single board sounds better
    >to me (cheaper, less parts), so can anyone comment on the differences
    >or why I shouldn't get it instead? Just curious if anyone's gotten
    >one or has info. Thanks,

    If Fred said he did, you can believe he did. Fred's a good man. Lloyd

    > Well two things are at least clear now. Pinliz stands behind it's
    > products and has great customer service, and people are very
    > passionate about their choice :-) But it hasn't really helped me
    > decide if it's worth the price difference for home use since no one
    > has a direct comparison or problems with the Rottendog. Given my
    > "newbie" status, I'll probably go with the PinLiz and know I've got
    > support if something doesn't work right. Thanks for the opinions...

    If you are pinball-savvy enough to know that you REALLY need to replace your
    clock board, then you are not a newbie, IMHO. After all, we are not talking
    about rocket science here, it's either going to work or not. If you are
    having other issues with the clock, then maybe it's worth the extra $50 to
    get the "free" support from pbliz. Good luck anyways.

Games LED Monitor Video Games