mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
I have a Asus motherboard.

when i do not put my cpu in I get a vocal message saying "cpu not installed, cpu not installed, cpu not installed" for about the first 10 seconds

after the 10 secs the vocal message changes and says "computer failed cpu test, cpu not installed, computer failed cpu test, cpu not installed, computer failed cpu test" and it goes on.

when i put my cpu back in the vocal message changes to just saying only "computer failed cpu test, computer failed cpu test, computer failed cpu test" and it goes on forever.

please help!

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Which Asus Motherboard? you using an Athlon, an Athlon 64, or a Pentium? You using the stock heatsink? You sure the heatsink is attached properly?

Does the CPU appear at all damaged? Are all the pins in nice straight rows, without any bent or broken off? There are a few pins which are supposed to be missing, but they should match up with the socket (there will be a few 'filled-in' holes in the socket)

Has the PC ever worked? Has it just broken down, or have you just upgraded it, or is it a completely new build?

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'm not, no.... You could try asking <i>him</i> that though... :wink:

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
it is asus a8v deluxe. the cpu is athlon 64 newcastle 3500. my pc was working for a long time until now. no damage to cpu. using stock HSF

what is going on?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by matrixripoff on 01/11/05 01:17 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mAtRiXrIpOfF

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2003
i did what you told me about resetting the bios and it worked. the problem is when i shutdown the pc and put it back on again i still get the vocal message "system failed cpu test"

please help!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by matrixripoff on 01/12/05 10:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Sounds like you have a bad bios, or a bad battery . Try to see if the system will warm boot, from the reset button. If it does, update the bios, using a floppy. If it wont reset, change the battery, reset the bios again, and see if that helps. If that doesn't work, take it back to where you got it from, and have them reflash the bios, or give you a new board.
Since the problems with the early nforce boards, a lot of shops keep a spare bios around. I hope this is the case here.

pat

Expert
"I have a Asus motherboard."

Sad to say, but to me, that sound like a bad start...

Asus seem to have variable quality for their board these day... guess you got a bad one...

Maybe a bad BIOS..should try to reflash it or change the battery... RMA is an option too, at this point.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not all the time. I just finished an ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe and I'm kinda impressed. Even PC Probe is much improved. You could always just disable the post voice in BIOS, but I think a flash is in order.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I wouldn't feel right about just disabling the voice... if I buy something new I want it to work. I shouldn't have to "disguise" the fact that it isn't working properly.

I agree, time to flash the BIOS.

endyen

Splendid
If you turn off the voice, you still get the beeps. She sounds like such a btch. I know, you can change the voice, but why bother. Just the same, for a system that is in trouble, the message can be useful.