Sign in with
Your question

Can't boot windows, recovery not working

Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2012 1:36:19 AM

Hi, I'm having trouble with my windows installation. I was getting BSOD's for a while, and I solved that problem, but it seems that in the process my windows installation was corrupted. I get the following when I boot (this is a summery):

Windows failed to start. . .

Insert an installation disc [and repair your computer]...

File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

However, the big problem starts here: the recovery options in the windows installation disc don't work. It just says it's not compatible with my version of windows (even though I know it must be, since that was the disc I installed from).

How can I repair my windows installation? Could I connect my corrupt hard drive to another computer and do it through there?

Help me!
December 16, 2012 11:25:13 AM

You will have to reformat your hard disk and reinstall Windows 7. If the disk is fully corrupted there is nothing you can do. Putting it in another person's computer won't help.
m
l
December 16, 2012 4:09:07 PM

It's not fully corrupted, I can access my files through another computer on it. I used EaseUS Partition Manager to view the EFI boot partition, and there's still stuff there. Could I copy a working hard drive's EFI partition to there, or I there a EFI repair tool I can get?
m
l
Related resources
!