kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
i had to replace my cpu/mb recently because one or the other was going and so i decided to just do them both. i went from a p4 2.8 to an adm 64 4000+.. shoulda been a step up i thought but i was disapointed to not be able to run certain games in 1280 with the textures on high without framerate hits in some parts (wow right now, the new evercrack =P) anyway i ran 3dmark 03 to see what i would get and was surprised to have a LOWER score than my old machine. my scorew was about 5990 the one on y pentium was a 6300. everything else in my box is the same, the only swap was a mb/cpu. what espeically caught my attention was the cpu portion of the 3dmark test.. it did terribly. im talking less than double digits, with the cave troll one at 0 half the time

what gives? this is suposed to be a better cpu, it certainly cost quite a bit why is it perfomring so terribly? could it be defective in some way? is there some setting in bios i missed? really need help here because im very disapointed that i spent over 800 dollars on a cpu/mb and its worse than my old one

btw rest of the system is as follows
AMD 64 4000+
MSI k8n neo 2 mb
raedon 9800XT gfx card
audigy 2 sound card
win 2kpro os
a gig of kingston pc 3200 ddr ram

tnx guys

endyen

Splendid
Your board isn't set up quite right. First thing is to make sure your mobo , esp agp drivers are properly installed. You should also make sure primary graphics is set to agp.
I hope this is a clean OS install, otherwise, you will have to do that now.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
clean os install yes.. hrm lemme go into bios and check that agp is primary graphic driver i belive it is. how do i make sure the agp board drivers are installed right all i remember setting up specifically out of the box was the ones for the onboard network adaptor

hrm what do you mean cool n quiet?

omg im retarded i had it on pci instead of agp >_< ok i switched it any other things i should try, btw i have the agp frequency at 66 should i change that, im not sure what its for

i have the aperture or whatever its called set to 256 cuz my card has 256 ram, is that what its for? sorry im not too familiar with these settings

edit, i also installed the nvidia nforce3 system drivers which i hadnt done before.. it said it replaces the old ata drivers and stuff.. was i suposed to do that too? <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kenshindono on 01/12/05 03:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

endyen

Splendid
Yup, the nforce drivers have the agp driver in them I think. The agp aperture I believe is the amount of ram, or page file that the os allows, to shadow your graphics card. I just use 128.
Now that you have the correct agp drivers, it's a good idea to download and install the latest Catalyst from Ati, and reload directx, at windows's site.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
so you guys recomend that i reinstall my catylist drivers and driectx9? should i uninstall them completely then reinstall or can i just download them and run the install program

i dont have win xp, like i said im running 2kpro

what was the cool n quiet thing. i checked and theres a setting for it and its on the driver disk but no documentation on what it actually does

ill wait on your answer for how i should reinstall the gfx card drivers and directx9 before i rebenchmark.

oh ya, one more thing how do i make sure its on agp X8.. dont recall seeing it mentioning that in the 3dmark screen or an 8x option in bios, just pci or agp

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.lavalys.com/products.php?lang=en" target="_new">Download Everest</A>

Everest is a system information tool which tells everything about your computer.

And you really should use Windows XP Pro, it is better with more modern hardware than Windows 2000.

==================================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>
<A HREF="http://www.daynighthosting.com" target="_new">DayNightHosting.com</A>

endyen

Splendid
You dont have to uninstall, just install cats, directx over. I'm using guru3d in my drpodown for graphics, but I think the standard Ati panel will tell you your agp rate. Just right click your screen, click settings - advanced- adaptor, and it should say if you are using 8X.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
ive had my computer freeze twice since ive installed these drivers im going to go ahead and reinstall the gfx drivers and directx 9. see if that fixes it. any other sugestions? should i just reformat my HD and install it with the mb drivers first or is that overboard?

im not getting xp for a couple of reasons. Mostly because im just waiting for the 64 bit version, and also because i think its super lame that you can only install it twice then have to pay to install it ever again

endyen

Splendid
Please keep your os. It's not like Bill needs more money.
I got xp-pro given to me by work, otherwise it would be 2k for me. For those with a P4c or e, the HT support may be worth it, but I want win64 as well.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
im not getting xp for a couple of reasons. Mostly because im just waiting for the 64 bit version, and also because i think its super lame that you can only install it twice then have to pay to install it ever again
What is this all about?? I have XP pro installed, and I got mine from work as well... but I have never heard of this two time install deal?? what's that all about??

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
under a rock? If you buy XP Home or Pro you have to register online with it and somehow Microshaft has made it that your CD Key can install like a maximum of two times off of a retail version of this thing. Copies sold to businesses with a installation agreement are exempt from this as they pay mucho moola for multi copies. I too am running a business bootleg of Windows XP Pro.

Also if you substantially change your machine to the point where XP doesn't recognize the specs, you'll be forced to pony up again because it thinks it's being installed on a 3rd machine. It really, really sucks..

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
i reinstalled the drivers and it seemed fine for a while but then a few minutes ago while playing wow it did the system crash thing. the screen goes black and monitor acts like theres no input then it makes a weird sound on my speakers.

should i completely format my system and reinstall with the board drivers first, or what would you guys sugest? it never did this before i put those drivers in

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Does your system ever crash right now if you don't do anything that requires a lot of electricity (just surfing, playing music). In other words, what is your PSU?

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
no not just surfing the net and stuff. actually i noticed something evidently i had agp fast write on and my card doesn't support that as far as i know. it didn't crash last night when i was playing after turning it off so im hoping it was that.. i'll see

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
update.. never mind it did it again a few minutes ago. weak. any sugestions or should i just reformat and install everything with the mb drivers first?

shadus

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2003
Nah yer wrong worf, you just gotta call ms and get a new key. It's free. We're on our... 6th key now? *shrug* something like that. Takes about 2m. Yah it's stupid but not as bad as you think :)

<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/php/shadus.php" target="_new">Shadus</A>

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
anyone know a stress test i can run to see if its maybe just this game and not my computer because the reinstall didn't help and im running outa ideas. I was thinking just running 3dmarks in a loop if i can

endyen

Splendid
The folding is a good choice. It will seperate the mem, and chip from your graphics. If it runs fine, then your problem is most likely graphics driver related. BTW, have you checked at ati to see if it shows up as a problem they're aware of? You might also do well to post in the graphics forum. Those guys know thier stuff. 1 thing that I should have suggested before. Pop your xp disk in and get it to do a system compatability test. Get it to go online, and the whole 9 yards.