Canon MP620 UNIQUELY (220BK tank only) clogged!

ColdOnCanon

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Hello,

I think my problem is unique and specific, so I will ask here. I print mostly black text, so rarely use color, but do print Google maps in color occasionally so nothing dries out. The other day, black text began to be patchy (horizontal white streaks). It also said that my big fat black ink tank (220BK) was empty, but it was only 2/3 empty. I had to change it anyway, because cleaning was not possible, for the machine refused to budge. It just got worse, not better. After 3 deep cleans and countless nozzle cleans, I decided to give it rest for 24 hours, as recommended. The day after, today, it has gotten even worse. Then it said that the new 220 BK (fat) cartridge was empty. I see that it is only about 5% empty. So something is plugged that affects the big fat black 220 cartridge only, but what?, and, more importantly, how can I fix this cheaply? Thanks!

ColdOnCanon

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

Since no one responded to this posting (now, about 16 hours later), and since I would kinda like to get my printer back up an printing ASAP, I googled elsewhere to find a solution... and found what looks to be a genuine, DIY solution. I will link to that site in a jiffy, but first, to set the stage so you know which path to follow when you get there...

A certain RUcrAZ had the EXACT SAME PROBLEM as I with the EXACT SAME PRINTER and the EXACT SAME BLACK INK CARTRIDGE (the fat one, whose EXACT designation is 220PGBK). RUcrAZ (a Russian, born in the Crimea, now living in Azerbaijan? : ) ) laid out his problem, and after a lot of sniksnak (Danish for "useless advice"/ hot air), a certain Petruska explained how to clean the printhead cartridge using hot (not boiling, I presume!) water.

RUcrAZ, foolishly thinking that if hot water was good, isopropyl alcohol would be better, followed Petruska's advice, but substituting isopropyl alcohol for hot water, with the result that he more or less messed it up permanently, or so thought the technician. With nothing to lose at this point, RUcrAZ decided to try Petruska's method EXACTLY... AND IT WORKED!

Here is the full discussion, including the sniksnak:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1003&message=34505365&changemode=1

I promise to try this in the next few days (the printhead cartridge has to dry out thoroughly, otherwise... well, you can imagine, since electrical charges pass through this unit!) and report back... anon!

Yours,
CosyWithCanonAgain

badolina

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Hi, I have the exact same situation... any news?