Sign in with
Your question

Is Using laptop without battery safe

Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2012 3:14:04 AM

So this is my plan here... While gaming, take the battery off and leave the charger plugged into the laptop. Once I'm done gaming and feel like doing something on the web like Y!A, Youtube, or Facebook, for a few hours, i put the battery on and normally charge it when the battery is low and remove the charger when it is fully charged.

Will this plan here make my laptop has long life? As in, not breaking to the point in where i would have to totally buy a new one?

And is having your charger plugged into your laptop without a battery safe in general? I hear if you don't charge your battery for a while it dies, but i will be charging it when I'm not gaming, when I'm on the web doing stuff.

Help would be appreciated!

More about : laptop battery safe

December 16, 2012 3:57:10 AM

It's not going to matter if you have the battery in or out while playing/browsing on the laptop when you have it plugged in really, reason for gaming later in the post as to why you'll want it plugged into the wall.

When you're plugged into the wall (power supply) the laptop is going to take priority in pulling power from that and not the battery, it's just how the hardware works. And whilst plugged in the battery will charge, that's a given.

However, what you want to do with the battery is cycle it, meaning that you want to use the battery until it's almost dead (some say all the way dead) I'd say anywhere from 10-15% is safe to start charging again, this way the battery doesn't for a memory to holding charge well for the first 85% then the last 15% would be almost instantly dead.

If you're gaming it's advised to being connected to the power supply (to the wall), there are reasons for this as the hardware is taxing the battery hard and it may not be providing the appropriate power for the hardware demanding it. (There's much more detail into this, my knowledge will not suffice in the explanation.)
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 16, 2012 4:26:32 AM

Actually cycling it is bad for new li-on batteries. Just keep it plugged in. By the time the battery becomes really bad, you will want a new laptop anyways.

However if you want to prolong your battery there might be a program that lets you limit how much to charge your battery to. (I know sony has it pre installed). If you take it out and store it , make sure it has around 40% battery life left because if you pull it out when its too low and store it, it might die.
m
l
Related resources
December 16, 2012 4:55:15 AM

Azn Cracker said:
Actually cycling it is bad for new li-on batteries. Just keep it plugged in. By the time the battery becomes really bad, you will want a new laptop anyways.

However if you want to prolong your battery there might be a program that lets you limit how much to charge your battery to. (I know sony has it pre installed). If you take it out and store it , make sure it has around 40% battery life left because if you pull it out when its too low and store it, it might die.

Wow, I actually just looked this up and you are absolutely correct. It does depend on the application, but cell phones and laptops are what it applies too, I'll edit most reply and make note I was incorrect about the statement. Kudos to you!
m
l
December 16, 2012 1:44:20 PM

Azn Cracker said:

So is what i said in my post totally safe? Guess I'm gonna try it then.
m
l
!