AMD Cool and Quiet

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
My computer fans drive me nuts at times, so I am curious how well cool and quiet works. I thought I would pose this question to those who are using it:

• How quiet is the stock fan on the AMD64 (e.g. 90nm 939 3200+) when cool and quiet it enabled when doing non-intensive CPU tasks?

• Does this affecting gaming at all?

• Is the fan speed up and down based on load or temp?

Thanks for the input :)

endyen

Splendid
Are you using an A64 now? The only fans in my A64 system are on the chip, on the graphics card, and in the psu. The only sound I hear from my case, is when the optical drive spins up. I have never seen the need to use C&Q, since my idle temp is low 30s.
Part of that is because of the single chip chipset on the nforce boards, I also lay blame on the quiet dual fans in my enermax psu. You have to have that bottom fan in your psu.

pauldh

Illustrious
I'll have to agree. C&Q absolutely blew me away. I mean, I was litteraly grinning from ear to ear the first few days using this A64. But even in gaming for hours the stock fan on a 3000+ Winchester is very quiet.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I am not using AMD64 yet--I am building a system for my brother and will be using the AMD64 because he will be gaming on it. BUT, I am considering it for myself down the line because of the performance/noise. I currently have a P4 and it is kinda noisy. I am sure part of that has to do with the PSU fan, but every bit helps.

Thanks for the replies :)

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Unfortunately this news comes too late for you, but it is great for your brother. C&Q works great, I have noticed it most when I am listening to music/movies... I turn my case fans down and can't hear a peep out of my sytem, works great.

I know that many of you are going to tell me that I don't need my case fans going at full on my A64 3200+ cause it is running at low 30 temps, but I get paranoid some times...

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
No, honestly I find AMD's CoolnQuiet to be a wonderful protocol. Here's my system specs...

AMD Athalon 64Fx-53
HIS Excalibur X800 XT PE with IceQ II Cooling
Asus A8V Deluxe VIA K8T800 Pro Chipset ATX AMD MB
1 Gig of OCZ 3500 unbuffered Ram
2 Western Digital 74 Gig Raptors in Raid 1
DVD ASUS 16X DVD
DVD+/-RW PLEXTOR|PX-712A
CPU FAN Thermaltake Silentboost K8
Cooler Master Wave Master Case
Antec NeoPower 480 Watt PSU
SB Audigy 2Z Platinum Sound Card

With CnQ enabled my puter idles at 24* cel at start up and stays there until I do something graphics or CPU intensive. My high temp is 56* Cel for extended gameplay. Once I'm done it coold down to 32* Cel in less then 2 minutes then it usually stays there for the rest of the night.

CnQ works great for me, can't recommend it more highly...

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I would love Cool 'n' Quiet, but I only have an AXP so it isn't a feature available to me.... BUT....

my Rig'll have "Warm 'n' Quiet" by tommorrow.... A row of rocker switches which switch the various fans down to 5V from 12V... :lol: .

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen