Sign in with
Your question

intel centrino vs. mobile amd athlon64

Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2005 11:49:28 AM

Hi folks,
I tried to find a comparison in the Guides or even in the community, but unfortunately couldn't find any.

I want to buy a Laptop and I have an irrational aversion to the Intel P4. (don't want to fry my lap)

So the question for me is:
Shall I buy a Centrino (eg Intel 755 @ 2GHz) or a mobile Athlon64?
I would like to spend something like 2000 EUR (check the dollar-rate yourself, if you like, it should be about a third more) and the foremost use I will have for this laptop is 3D-Gaming. Still I want to be able to go on battery-power for at least 2 hours (not gaming, but surfing).

What's the score? Which of those CPU's is faster in the toplevel 3D performance? (I'm thinking of combining it with a Gig of RAM and a ATI 9700 @ 128MB)

Thanks for your help! I'd also appreciate a link to a discussion, if this has been discussed before!
Cheers,
Stefan
January 12, 2005 7:05:48 PM

P/P wise the Amd is a better performer. From the sounds of it, you want a dtr, with decent battery life.
If extra battery life was you goal,dothan is the way to go.
Centrinos are high end, so it is usually easier to find one with great everything, but the ferrari is pretty nice.
January 12, 2005 8:02:38 PM

You sure want it all, battery and performance, it's a compromise and you gonna have to decide what you ready to give up more and how much.

If battery is important for you and you can afford Centrino, go with it.

If battery is less important and you must have the fastest laptop possible than go with Athlon 64.

Keep in mind that Centrino has integrated wireless network support which can be a great plus.

==================================
<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>
<A HREF="http://www.daynighthosting.com" target="_new">DayNightHosting.com</A>
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 3:52:04 AM

Centrino isn't a CPU, it's a package (CPU+Chipset+Wireless LAN from Intel). Some companies don't use Intel's wireless LAN (which isn't that great anyway compared to a few others), so they can't use the Centrino name.

The CPU itself is called a Pentium Mobility, aka Pentium-M. Clock for clock it's roughly equal in performance to the A64 in most applications, but there are a few where it comes up short. Still, the "most applications" part is significant when you consider the thing draws around 1/2 the power, creating around 1/2 the heat, which means cooler laps, longer battery life. Of course that assumes the laptop maker doesn't use a smaller battery on the P-M to save weight simply because "they can".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2005 3:55:05 AM

Oh, BTW, the A64 3200+ runs at 2.0GHz, so when I said they were similar clock-for-clock, that would be the one to compare.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!