Buying new laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

bertstare

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
1_What is your budget?
500-600 (preferabbly closer to 500 if possible)

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14"+

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
3 hours is all I would need

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Starcraft II, low to medium settings

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Excel, access

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter.

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Anywhere will suffice.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years at least

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Doesn't matter.

13_What country do you live in?
United States

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I basically need a notebook to use at school. I mainly use excel/access as I'm in the school of business. I'd also like to be able to run starcraft II even if its on low settings. All other specs are unimportant if I can run the 3 programs I mentioned I'm happy.

bertstare

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Thanks for the quick response, I didn't assume any Sony would be in my price range and failed to mention I would rather not get a Sony. Based on this would you have any other recommendations?

tiachopvutru

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Upgrading the OS to 64-bit is so that you can utilize the whole 4GB of RAM since 32-bit Windows does not see more than 3GB or three point something. It may not even be necessary to upgrade just to play Starcraft 2 (though I can't say I'm sure).

Graphic wise, the MSI is probably the best option. According to this website , you would only be able to play SC2 on low setting, but the MSI laptop is also the only one out of the three that has dedicated card.

That MSI model is a good choice, however since the OP stated he prefers to stay around $500,i didn't look for anything more than $500.
Anyway a 5470M is noticeably faster than a HD 4200M,so i think you can play SC2 on medium settings(some settings on low) on a resolution like 1366x768

Status
Not open for further replies.