Dont Buy dell Laptops

Please don't buy Dell Laptops. My laptop had numerous problems. Dell
replaced justabout every part and eventually got me a refurbished Inspiron
8000 in the four years of warranty. Now the four years are over- Guess what!
The 8000 does not boot up. Something wrong with the motherboard all of a
sudden. It says "nobootable drives'. (the piece was never abused- dropped or
anysuch thing!!)
I am so pissed - I would never buy a DELL! And I suggest You do too.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

no bootable drive probably means it can not find the hard drive......and you
dont have a boot disk in the floppy or cd rom

does not necessary mean the motherboard is bad....more likely it is the hard
drive

"ooha" <ooha@imagination.com> wrote in message
> Please don't buy Dell Laptops. My laptop had numerous problems. Dell
> replaced justabout every part and eventually got me a refurbished Inspiron
> 8000 in the four years of warranty. Now the four years are over- Guess
what!
> The 8000 does not boot up. Something wrong with the motherboard all of a
> sudden. It says "nobootable drives'. (the piece was never abused- dropped
or
> anysuch thing!!)
> I am so pissed - I would never buy a DELL! And I suggest You do too.

hi,
i have two latitude cpi laptops that work every time . if your system
is 4 years old and can't find the hard drive i would think it is
time to replace the cmos battery and then see if laptop can detect
the drive . the other alternative would be to download and run the
diagnostic software for your hdd . they normally are a utility to
create a boot floppy with the diagnostic software .
dell has excellent manuals available for download at there website .
hope this helps,
terry

==============

"ooha" <ooha@imagination.com> wrote in message
> Please don't buy Dell Laptops. My laptop had numerous problems. Dell
> replaced justabout every part and eventually got me a refurbished Inspiron
> 8000 in the four years of warranty. Now the four years are over- Guess
what!
> The 8000 does not boot up. Something wrong with the motherboard all of a
> sudden. It says "nobootable drives'. (the piece was never abused- dropped
or
> anysuch thing!!)
> I am so pissed - I would never buy a DELL! And I suggest You do too.

Please don't buy Whoppers, I heard someone got a cold one so they must all
be cold.
)That's sarcasm by the way)

Point is that yes, you may have gotten a lemon, but hardly makes the
hundreds of thousands of others out there bad too.
And buy the way, my first guess with a 'no bootable drive error' would be
that the data in the boot sector on the drive had been altered (virus or
glitch) or that the drive took a dump. I certainly would not immediately
suspect the main board.

"PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message

> "ooha" <ooha@imagination.com> wrote in message
> > Please don't buy Dell Laptops. My laptop had numerous problems. Dell
> > replaced justabout every part and eventually got me a refurbished
Inspiron
> > 8000 in the four years of warranty. Now the four years are over- Guess
> what!
> > The 8000 does not boot up. Something wrong with the motherboard all of a
> > sudden. It says "nobootable drives'. (the piece was never abused-
dropped
> or
> > anysuch thing!!)
> > I am so pissed - I would never buy a DELL! And I suggest You do too.
> >

> Please don't buy Whoppers, I heard someone got a cold one so they must all
> be cold.
> )That's sarcasm by the way)
>
> Point is that yes, you may have gotten a lemon, but hardly makes the
> hundreds of thousands of others out there bad too.
> And buy the way, my first guess with a 'no bootable drive error' would be
> that the data in the boot sector on the drive had been altered (virus or
> glitch) or that the drive took a dump. I certainly would not immediately
> suspect the main board.

I almost forgot, you did check to make sure you do NOT have a non-bootable
disk in the floppy drive I hope ?????

> Weren't you aware that Dell imbeds a 'warranty expiration' chip in all
> their
> machines? Within 48 hours of the warranty expiration, the machine dies.
>
> It's discussed all over the internet and we know it must be true.

<snip>

I've got a CPx whose warranty expired last July, and it still runs fine.
Does this mean I have a faulty 'embedded chip'? Should I call Dell? Should
I be worried? Should I endlessly whine and blame everyone but myself?
Anxiously waiting....

<sarcasm/off>

Stew

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> If you don't want to do that and choose to toss the system, email me.
I'll
> pay for shipping and you can send the system to me.

We're only up to $0? Hell, I'll bid $75, seller pays the shipping.

TB

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> Weren't you aware that Dell imbeds a 'warranty expiration' chip in all
their
> machines? Within 48 hours of the warranty expiration, the machine dies.
>
> It's discussed all over the internet and we know it must be true.

I don't know about Dell (my Dell purchases are doing fine), but some years
back I'd have sworn
that Samsung did something like that <G>. Between my business and my home,
I'd purchase five
Samsung monitors over a period of about a year...during that time span,
Samsung changed their monitor
warranty from one year to 90 days...regardless whether one of my monitors
had a one year warranty
or a 90 day warranty, each and every one of those (damned) monitors died
within a period of 30 days
AFTER the warranty expired. I am an engineer and I opened up the
monitors...turned out they had used
a capacitor in the power supply circuitry rated for a maximum voltage of 25
volts in a circuit that put 35
volts across them...

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

> I almost forgot, you did check to make sure you do NOT have a non-bootable
> disk in the floppy drive I hope ?????

When I was in college (electrical engineering), you'd be surprised at how
much time was wasted
in lab classes tracing the circuitry (by both the students and professors)
only to find that either the
power supply wasn't turned on or wasn't plugged in! ALWAYS eliminate the
obvious first!

Good advice, PC Medic.

Technobarbarian wrote:

> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > If you don't want to do that and choose to toss the system, email me.
> I'll
> > pay for shipping and you can send the system to me.
>
> We're only up to $0? Hell, I'll bid $75, seller pays the shipping.

Hell, if this is going to be a bidding war, I'll bid $75, seller pays
the shipping, and I'll bus my own table.

Notan

"George" <nowhere@newsonly.com> wrote in message

> "PC Medic" <NOT@home.net> wrote in message
>>

>> I almost forgot, you did check to make sure you do NOT have a
>> non-bootable
>> disk in the floppy drive I hope ?????
>>

> When I was in college (electrical engineering), you'd be surprised at how
> much time was wasted
> in lab classes tracing the circuitry (by both the students and professors)
> only to find that either the
> power supply wasn't turned on or wasn't plugged in! ALWAYS eliminate the
> obvious first!
>
> Good advice, PC Medic.

The simplest solution is usually the best solution.

Stew

> Technobarbarian wrote:
>>
>> "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > If you don't want to do that and choose to toss the system, email me.
>> I'll
>> > pay for shipping and you can send the system to me.
>>
>> We're only up to $0? Hell, I'll bid $75, seller pays the shipping.
>
> Hell, if this is going to be a bidding war, I'll bid $75, seller pays
> the shipping, and I'll bus my own table.
>
> Notan

I've seen you bus tables, and that's *no* bargain :)

Stew