Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Tungsten E SD Card Problem

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 6:14:53 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I bought a Lexar 256 MD SD card for my Tungsten E. After a lot of
fiddling with the lock-switch, I was able to put a few files on the
card. However, I found I could neither move them back to flash nor
delete them once they were on the card. Suddenly, it was "read-only"
-- even though I had written several files to it!

I returned the card with the files on it (none sensitive), and bought a
Toshiba 128 MB card. This one won't work at all, no matter what I do
to the lock-switch -- the Tungsten keeps seeing it as a "read-only"
card.

Anyone have any suggestions?

More about : tungsten card problem

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 7:18:31 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

I just tried the Toshiba card in my wife's Tungsten E. It works
perfectly.

Evidently the problem is with the card-reader in my Tungsten E.
Short of replacing the Palm, can anyone think of a fix?
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 10:52:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 31 Dec 2004 16:18:31 -0800, "Nate" <athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
>
>I just tried the Toshiba card in my wife's Tungsten E. It works
>perfectly.
>
>Evidently the problem is with the card-reader in my Tungsten E.
>Short of replacing the Palm, can anyone think of a fix?

Did you use a pin to reset your Palm? I've found that helpful in the
past.
Related resources
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 1:58:50 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Nate" <athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1104538711.528878.98110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
>
> I just tried the Toshiba card in my wife's Tungsten E. It works
> perfectly.
>
> Evidently the problem is with the card-reader in my Tungsten E.
> Short of replacing the Palm, can anyone think of a fix?
>

Someone has pointed out in the past that there may be a slight size problem
in the cards themselves. My T|E and Lexar card disagreement is on record
here. I had to resort to some gymnastics to get the info off the card and
then put it in my digital camera, where it seems to like its new home. San
Disk works just fine, never reverting to "read only" on me. Some people here
don't like them, but I don't have problems.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 2:37:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <1104538711.528878.98110@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"Nate" <athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
>
> I just tried the Toshiba card in my wife's Tungsten E. It works
> perfectly.
>
> Evidently the problem is with the card-reader in my Tungsten E.
> Short of replacing the Palm, can anyone think of a fix?

Have you installed the Palm SDIO patch for the Tungsten E?

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/tungstene/s...
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 5:45:11 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <1104534893.540673.31860@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Nate"
<athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I bought a Lexar 256 MD SD card for my Tungsten E. After a lot of
> fiddling with the lock-switch, I was able to put a few files on the
> card. However, I found I could neither move them back to flash nor
> delete them once they were on the card. Suddenly, it was "read-only"
> -- even though I had written several files to it!
>
> I returned the card with the files on it (none sensitive), and bought a
> Toshiba 128 MB card. This one won't work at all, no matter what I do
> to the lock-switch -- the Tungsten keeps seeing it as a "read-only"
> card.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions?

Sounds like you may have found the source of your problem in a later message.

But I want to ask why you fiddled with the lock-switch in the first place?
Were you having trouble writing to the card and decided to adjust the
lock-switch?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 12:44:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks, I installed the patch. Unfortunately, it did not solve the
problem.
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 12:45:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Thanks, I tried that, but the problem remains
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 12:50:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

When the card wouldn't work with the switch in its original position, I
pushed it to the opposite position (it's not that easy to tell which
position is 'locked'). The Lexar card actually accepted a few files
when the switch was *between* the locked and unlocked positions, but in
no position could I delete files or move them from the card to the
Palm.

The Toshiba card is "read-only" in my Tungsten no matter what I do with
the lock-switch.

I think the problem has to be the card-reader in my Tungsten. Right
now, I'm putting large files that I will not need to modify onto the
card via my wife's Tungsten. As they are then accessible (in
'read-only' mode) on my Tungsten, I can delete those files from flash,
and free up a lot of memory.
A clumsy work-around, but better than nothing...
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:50:26 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <1104601850.816613.24160@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "Nate"
<athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> When the card wouldn't work with the switch in its original position, I
> pushed it to the opposite position (it's not that easy to tell which
> position is 'locked'). The Lexar card actually accepted a few files
> when the switch was *between* the locked and unlocked positions, but in
> no position could I delete files or move them from the card to the
> Palm.
>
> The Toshiba card is "read-only" in my Tungsten no matter what I do with
> the lock-switch.
>
> I think the problem has to be the card-reader in my Tungsten. Right
> now, I'm putting large files that I will not need to modify onto the
> card via my wife's Tungsten. As they are then accessible (in
> 'read-only' mode) on my Tungsten, I can delete those files from flash,
> and free up a lot of memory.
> A clumsy work-around, but better than nothing...

If you just got your Tungsten E, return it under the warranty. You know
from your wife's device that the SD card should work ...
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 10:32:19 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I got the Tungsten E last March, so I imagine the warranty has expired
by now.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 4:58:42 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"Nate" <athanasiusmundo@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:1104679939.409970.253900@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
>I got the Tungsten E last March, so I imagine the warranty has expired
> by now.
>

Try a different brand of card. Does everything else seem to work all right
on your Palm?
!