Microsoft's MN-700 and Apple's Airport Express

Last response: in Networking
September 22, 2004 10:26:49 AM

I am running a wireless network on an MN-700 base station.
I am trying to add an Apple Airport Express as a client to
this network, in order to get audio streaming from ITunes
on my PC directly to my living room stereo.

My PC "sees" the MN-700 network just fine and also "sees"
the Airport Express network but the devices aren't
recognizing each other and forming a larger client/host
network. So I can stream music and connect to the internet
but NOT at the same time, which is very frustrating.

The Apple support technician asked if the MN-700 base
station has WDS (wireless distribution system) support,
which the Airport Express requires. I believe that the MN-
700 has this, but can anyone confirm this?

If the MN-700 does have WDS support, what else might the
problem be?
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:56:01 PM

The Airport Express requires WDS (wireless distribution service) support
which the MN-700 does *not* offer.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

I actually found a posting on J-wire that says the MN-700
DOES have WDS support.

http://www.jiwire.com/microsoft-wireless-g-base-station...
700-product-specifications.htm

I'm confused. Perhaps there is a firmware update that I
can get? Or is their just conflicting information out
there?

Jeff

September 22, 2004 3:48:38 PM

You can find almost anything on the net. Doesn't make it true or possible,
though... The MN-700 does not support WDS, sorry.

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

On the Internet, it said that the earth was flat too..

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

>I actually found a posting on J-wire that says the MN-700
> DOES have WDS support.
>
> http://www.jiwire.com/microsoft-wireless-g-base-station...
> 700-product-specifications.htm
>
> I'm confused. Perhaps there is a firmware update that I
> can get? Or is their just conflicting information out
> there?
>
> Jeff

Anonymous
September 22, 2004 10:13:50 PM

What !! Wait a minute. You're suggestiong the earth is *not* flat ?

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Jason Tsang" <jason-onlineDEL@ETEmvps.org> wrote in message
> On the Internet, it said that the earth was flat too..
>

> --
> Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP
>
> Find out about the MS MVP Program -
> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx
>
> <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I actually found a posting on J-wire that says the MN-700
>> DOES have WDS support.
>>
>> http://www.jiwire.com/microsoft-wireless-g-base-station...
>> 700-product-specifications.htm
>>
>> I'm confused. Perhaps there is a firmware update that I
>> can get? Or is their just conflicting information out
>> there?
>>
>> Jeff

September 23, 2004 12:09:13 PM

So are you saying I should trust j-wire about as much as I trust Ziff
Davis? (I read a Ziff Davis article that said one way was how you
should do it then just a few paragraphs later it said the exact opposite.)

!