ASUS ML248H or VS248H-P?

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
*Update* Now trying to decide between the ML248H and the VS248H-P. The only differences I can see seem to be the design and the ASUS Contrast rating (the VS shows 50 million compared to the ML which has 10 million :pt1cable: ). Also, it looks like the dot pitch is slightly larger on the VS.

Here are the links to the ones I am considering:

ML248H

http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/ML248H/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236111

VS248H-P

http://usa.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/VS248HP/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236153&Tpk=VS248H-P

Let me know what you think! /*Update*

Hello everyone.

I am basically looking to get the best bang for my buck on a new LCD monitor (trying to keep it around or below $200). After looking around online I came across the ASUS VW246H on newegg which is very highly rated. I plan on using this monitor for gaming (computer and xbox) and some movies probably.

This seems to be exactly what I am looking for, but my only concern is that the model is 3 years old now. Is there a newer model or version that I am overlooking? (VE248H??) Also, being that the model is 3 years old, have there been any hardware revisions that I need to look out for?

Would also be inrested in any other recommendations you guys might have. Thanks.

MageVortex

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
The ML249H is an IPS monitor, (eIPS if i'm not mistaken) and it does have some issues with response time. That being said, it isn't horrible, and if you aren't incredibly picky, although you will likely notice it from time to time, it won't kill the experience at all.
The 248 on the other hand is a TN panel, and as such has better refresh rates, meaning practically no, if any, response issues. Both would be good options, with the 248 being the better option since you say you like first person shooters more than anything else.

If you can magically find a PX2370 (Samsung TN monitor) then i'd highly recommend it, but i've only had luck finding it as a Refurb, which sucks, but such is life.

Hope that helps...
If you want to look into IPS monitors btw, the
Ultrasharp 2312h, as it comes recommended by quite a few people.\

**EDIT**

You might enjoy checking out this guys site, as he reviews both the 248 and 249, and gives some thoughts on each in comparison. The quote at the top of the main page might give youa clue as to which direction he leans :D
http://www.bestgamingmonitor.net/

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Thx for the link, very informative. Was leaning towards the ML248H, but then I saw the vs248h-p...

Any idea what the difference between the two are? The only difference I can see is vs248h-p has a higher contrast rating. But from what I've read those don't mean much anyway.

MageVortex

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
When you bring up a previously unmentioned monitor, providing a link is never a bad idea :D I didn't know where you saw it at, and was trying to find it on the site i pointed you to, and after much searching, realized it wasn't there :D

After doing some searching for information regarding the monitor...i really couldn't find anything. not to say it isn't there, I just can't spend 20 minutes searching, so i do a cursory search, and oustide of this...
http://alatest.com/reviews/monitor-reviews/asus-24in-ws-led-1920x1080-1080p-vs248h-p-hdmi-dvi-vga-w-pwr-adapt/po3-141377068,29/#
I really couldn't find anything worth mentioning....
I love that site btw. Basically though, it shows no 'Expert' reviews, so the only people that have revieweed it thus far are end users. That in mind, their reviews are not very reliable IMO. But who knows, maybe one of them is a guru and gives a great breakdown and in depth review of the monitor for you.

With the limited knowledge, I would stick with the Asus, as I've seen reviews from people that at least look like they know what they are talking about.

Hope that helps! maybe magicpants will come lend his thoughts!

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011

MageVortex

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
O, hah, i thought the VS was a ViewSonic :p
From what I can tell with a cursory glance, the differences look mainly in the comsmetic department, but i'm not certain about that at all. Compare them on Newegg, but unless you see some big difference, it looks more like a toss up or matter of preference between the aesthetics of each.

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
*Edit: Turns out the VS does have Trace Free as well, the guy at ASUS was just incorrect*

Just got off the phone with ASUS. The guy I was talking too said the differences are:

-Looks
-ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio (ASCR) (10mil on the ML vs 50mil on the VS)
-Pixel Pitch (0.2652mm on the ML or 0.2768mm on the VS)
-Trace Free Technology (ML has it, the VS does not)
-Some difference with the Input Output (will be only be using HDMI so this doesn't matter)

He actually recommended the VS over the ML, but he also said that a larger pixel pitch is better :eek:
I think the opposite is true, so I will take his recommendation with a grain of salt.

At this point I am leaning towards the ML because:
-Smaller pixel pitch (smaller is better right?)
-Trace Free technology (this has something to do with ghosting I think)
-Contrast rating is lower, but will I really be able to tell the difference between 10million and 50million... :pt1cable:

bsoa

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
Update:

I picked up my ML248H yesterday and overall I am very happy with it.

A couple of things did disappoint me about the monitor. The main thing being the brightness / gamma uniformity (which I guess is a problem for most TN monitors). It isn’t too noticable when in normal use, but on a fixed color background you can see that the top left and bottom left of the monitor is much brighter. Also, no audio in/out kind of sucks, but the headphone jack does the job well enough.

Overall these are only minor complaints though, and the monitor looks awesome playing Skyrim, Battlefield 3, and MW3. I set my Trace Free setting to 80 and have not noticed ANY ghosting or display issues. If your looking strictly for a desktop monitor there are probably better choices (cheap IPS over TN). But for connecting my XBOX and having an external laptop display, this is exactly what I was looking for. I agree with Andys 4/5 rating and would recommend this monitor (especially if you find it on sale for less than $200 with the blackfriday deals coming up soon.)