is there a newer replacement coil for AE 23-800-0x

I was wondering if there is a newer replacement coil for the AE
23-800-0x

also what does the x mean specifically for each # 1-6?

It has to do with the orientation of the diode (position). Darned if
I've ever seen a list that tells you the position of each, though. I
usually take a leftover from another game coil and make sure the diode
is mounted so it doesn't have a chance to short out from something
else.

I've swapped them both ways as a temporary
fix on newer pins, and had no problems yet.

Try to find the correct part, though.

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=========

mjmmx wrote:
> can a AE 26-1500 be used in place of a 23-800?

Maybe - measure the resistance on both of them and compare, they should
be fairly close. If I remember correctly 26 is the guage of the wire,
and the 1500 is the # of turns. AE is the form possibly of the bobbin
it's wound on.

So, 23-800 is less turns which normally is a more powerful coil, but
thicker wire, which also may be a more powerful coil. (That I'm not as
sure of). It would probably be "ok" but depending on its use (like pop
bumper or similar) you might have one bumper that's much stronger than
another.

Joseph,

Thanks for the info this is very helpful in my comet manual it was
written for the older coils and the coils in the machine were actually
the newer ones. because of your info i am able to find the right coils
i need to buy.

The letter following the "A" indicates the coil lug position. If you look
from the round (non-terminal) end of the coil with the lugs facing away from
you, use the following chart:

AE - lugs on the two end positions
AL - lugs on the left and middle positions
AR - lugs on the middle and right positions

The first number is the wire gauge, while the second is the number of turns.

The suffix refers to the diode and tubing used in the coil. Most of the
Ax-23-800 coils with suffixes were designed as replacements for the earlier
SAx-23-850-DC coils used in system 11 games. Here's a cross reference:

SA-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-01
SA7-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-02
SG1-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-03

SA3-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-04
SA2-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-05
SG-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-06

SA4-23-850-DC => AE-23-800-07
SA1-23-850-DC => AL-23-800-01

FYI,
Joseph "Tony" Dziedzic

In article <1126265043.286515.36500@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"seymour-shabow@excite.com" <seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote:
>It has to do with the orientation of the diode (position). Darned if
>I've ever seen a list that tells you the position of each, though. I
>usually take a leftover from another game coil and make sure the diode
>is mounted so it doesn't have a chance to short out from something
>else.

TRENDING THREADS