Is there a "start up" function for Palm?

January 1, 2005 4:48:33 PM

I want my TT to automatically run a particular application each time
it is powered on. Is there such a software or function? It will be
very convenient e.g. digiE, doc reader, a partiular game...etc

ABC
Do not reply by email. Replay to NG

More about : start function palm

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:48:34 PM

ABC <ABC@nospam.net> wrote in news:q5ect05fgip0jtc6u3jt7dendt6p9r2sk1@
4ax.com:

> I want my TT to automatically run a particular application each time
> it is powered on. Is there such a software or function? It will be
> very convenient e.g. digiE, doc reader, a partiular game...etc

Palms don't work that way. When you turn off the power, it just stops
the display and the processor. When you turn it on, it comes back just
like you left it, there is no 'power up' function, or anthing else. In
essence, the Palm is 'running' all the time, regardless of the power
switch. You can assign almost any program you like to any button, though.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 4:48:35 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:43:00 +0000, Stan Gosnell wrote:

> Palms don't work that way. When you turn off the power, it just stops
> the display and the processor. When you turn it on, it comes back just
> like you left it, there is no 'power up' function, or anthing else. In
> essence, the Palm is 'running' all the time, regardless of the power
> switch. You can assign almost any program you like to any button,
> though.

Not quite. There are PowerOn notifications which you can hook into
to allow you to run an app at power-on, clean up a database at power-on,
or any number of other things... in-code.
January 1, 2005 6:47:18 PM

In particular there are a couple software programs that allow exactly
this functionality:

PowerLaunch (http://www.rgps.com/PowerLaunch.html) is a program which
does exactly what you want

Commander (http://www.palmation.com/software/commander/index.html) is a
Palm Launcher replacement that also has this functionality.

These are older programs, and to be honest, I'm not sure if they will
work on the Tungsten | T, but you can give them a try!

However, you might well find it more convenient to assign frequently
used programs to hardware buttons, or other shortcuts, as you might
want to make use of the fact that the Palm will open up into whatever
application was running when you turned it off.

TealLaunch (http://www.tealpoint.com/softlnch.htm) is a HackMaster
extension that allows all sorts of useful tweaks to the way you can
launch programs (e.g.. holding down hardware buttons for a longer time
to launch different applications than a quick press, setting button
combinations to launch applications, allowing use of device specific
buttons, etc.) You'll also need to install a HackMaster extension
manager such as TealMaster (http://www.tealpoint.com/softmstr.htm)
Good luck!

--Sam Lipoff
January 1, 2005 7:00:58 PM

On 01 Jan 2005 07:43:00 GMT, Stan Gosnell <me@work.com> wrote:

> You can assign almost any program you like to any button, though.

Brilliant idea. Thanks

ABC

Please do not reply by email.Reply to NG
!