HP ink cartridge lawsuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga giga

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2011
Hello,
Has anyone heard of this? Inkjet printer manufacturers being sued over false "cartridge needs replaced" messages? I saw a blurb on Epson printers about this...

Also have learned that due to HP smartchip in printer cartridges, you may have a full cartridge of black ink, but due to "programmed cartridge expiration dates" on the chip, your color cartridge may have an expired date --- even if full of ink --- and you can not print with it OR WITHOUT IT--- even in black cartridge only mode! What a scam!!

not a scam. Printers are designed like that so they dont fail. If any cartridge runs out of ink and you keep printing the ink dries up in the head and destroys the printer. It forces you to put in more ink/unexpired ink so this doesn't happen. Expired cartridges will have some amount of ink suspension liquid evaporated making the ink a more gluggy consistency and may block the head. When a cartridge runs out, a little is left yes. This is to stop the printer sucking through air and drying up/creating air bubble in the ink lines/heads. A bit like running your car low or run out of fuel/oil/coolant is not a good idea and may cause damage. Now you know why they do this you can stop calling something a "scam" that you know nothing about. Anyone trying to sue printer companies over this "scam" will lose.

thelolocaust

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
pro tip printers are basically free now. They are so subsidized by ink that it has become almost cheaper to just buy a brand new printer since it comes with a package of ink (whose value is = to the entire box price of the printer+ink) Who cares if it gets damaged? I want my things to PRINT when I tell them to. If it breaks, I'll buy a new one. I'm a big boy I don't need HP to hold my hand.

thats fair enough, the low end printers are really cheap, but they dont want printers that they are making no money on, and probably making a loss on, coming in for warranty because someone ran out of ink. And for higher end printers its a totally different story. If you dont want HP to hold your hand then i say let go and stop being a crybaby, man up, and buy the damn ink if it runs out. Its not just HP, every other company does the same thing. If you want to run every last bit from a cartridge, buy a laser printer and stop whinging about $30 worth of ink.

hp scam

Honorable
Apr 22, 2013

Idonno

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
"iam2thecrowe" is right none of this is a scam. Even the ridiculously high cost of OEM ink is justifiable when you take into account that most (if not all) printer manufacturers sell their printers at unsustainable low prices with the intent of making up the difference between going out of business or being a profitable company on their ink supplies.

This last practice by the printer manufacturers can be a real benefit to the smart consumer since you can buy a printer at or below cost and the save lots of money by purchasing quality aftermarket ink supplies.

Here's some examples for my Epson R280:

Complete set of 6 OEM ink carriages $104.97 / equivalent set of quality non-OEM ink carriages $25-$30 = 75% savings

Complete set of Refillable Ink Cartridges W/Auto Reset Chips and 600 ml ink $75 / Epson OEM equivalent $1,000 = $925 savings

CISS (continuous ink supply system) W/Auto Reset Chips and 600 ml ink $60 / Epson OEM equivalent $1,000 = $940 savings

600 ml true Epson Claria Hi-Definition equivalent ink refill for CISS and Refillable Ink Cartridge and $40 / Epson OEM equivalent $1,000 = $960 savings.

These are not prices for the cheapest aftermarket ink supplies, these are prices for quality ink supplies.

It makes no sense to blame the printer companies for trying to make a profit on their ink, they have to make a profit somewhere and that doesn't stop you from being a smart consumer and maximizing your savings.

Printer companies will try to scare you into buying only their ink. They will tell you that buying non-OEM ink might destroy your printer and this is certainly true if you buy crappy ink from disreputable companies but, there are many manufacturers of quality aftermarket ink supplies.
You just have to be a smart consumer.

And ask yourself this; how much aftermarket ink would you have to buy before your savings could pay for a brand new printer?
Not very much!

Status
Not open for further replies.