Tungsten E no pictures since New Years.

January 1, 2005 7:20:41 AM

Interesting problem.

My wife's Tungsten E won't display full screen pictures since the date rolled
over to 01/01/05. The entire screen just displays white. Setting the date to
12/31/04 makes it work. Setting it back to 01/01/05 and it fails again. After
some tinkering I find that every date between 01/01/05 and 01/05/05 will fails
and any date I've tried on or after 01/06/05 works.

Any ideas?

- Bill
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:48:18 PM

In article <e5-dnSz4mJGT9kvcRVn-3w@giganews.com>, "Bill Leary"
<Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:

> Interesting problem.
>
> My wife's Tungsten E won't display full screen pictures since the date rolled
> over to 01/01/05. The entire screen just displays white. Setting the date to
> 12/31/04 makes it work. Setting it back to 01/01/05 and it fails
again. After
> some tinkering I find that every date between 01/01/05 and 01/05/05 will fails
> and any date I've tried on or after 01/06/05 works.
>
> Any ideas?

What app are you using to view pictures?
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:48:19 PM

"Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> What app are you using to view pictures?

The default Palm applications.

A few updates, by the by. If she waits a while (she says "a minute," but it
looked like about 30 seconds to me when I watched her showing pictures to
someone today) the picture actually does appear.

Also, if you try to turn the unit off, it powers back on ten seconds later, and
stays on thereafter.

All under the same rules. If the date is between 1/1/05 and 1/5/05 inclusive,
it acts oddly. Anything else, seems to be fine.

I'm trying to figure out if it's one of her games that's doing this, but nothing
has proven to be the culprit yet.

- Bill

> In article <e5-dnSz4mJGT9kvcRVn-3w@giganews.com>, "Bill Leary"
> <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting problem.
> >
> > My wife's Tungsten E won't display full screen pictures since the date
rolled
> > over to 01/01/05. The entire screen just displays white. Setting the date
> > 12/31/04 makes it work. Setting it back to 01/01/05 and it fails
> again. After
> > some tinkering I find that every date between 01/01/05 and 01/05/05 will
fails
> > and any date I've tried on or after 01/06/05 works.
> >
> > Any ideas?
January 2, 2005 1:18:00 AM

"Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
>> What app are you using to view pictures?
>
> The default Palm applications.

Downright weird! I have the same problem, same app, and didn't check it
until just now. Thumbnails show up, however.

> A few updates, by the by. If she waits a while (she says "a minute," but
> it
> looked like about 30 seconds to me when I watched her showing pictures to
> someone today) the picture actually does appear.

Yep. In some cases, anyway. Even after I just displayed the picture, it
stays white and then, eventually, shows it. Which makes for a very
aggravating slide show.

> Also, if you try to turn the unit off, it powers back on ten seconds
> later, and
> stays on thereafter.

I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in and
synched.

> All under the same rules. If the date is between 1/1/05 and 1/5/05
> inclusive,
> it acts oddly. Anything else, seems to be fine.
>
> I'm trying to figure out if it's one of her games that's doing this, but
> nothing
> has proven to be the culprit yet.

Not likely. I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them back
"this year".

> - Bill
>
>> In article <e5-dnSz4mJGT9kvcRVn-3w@giganews.com>, "Bill Leary"
>> <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Interesting problem.
>> >
>> > My wife's Tungsten E won't display full screen pictures since the date
> rolled
>> > over to 01/01/05. The entire screen just displays white. Setting the
>> > date
>> > 12/31/04 makes it work. Setting it back to 01/01/05 and it fails
>> again. After
>> > some tinkering I find that every date between 01/01/05 and 01/05/05
>> > will
> fails
>> > and any date I've tried on or after 01/06/05 works.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:30:40 AM

"Necron 99" <fake@fakeryet.org> wrote in message

> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
>> "Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
>>> What app are you using to view pictures?
>>
>> The default Palm applications.
>
> Downright weird! I have the same problem, same app, and didn't check it
> until just now. Thumbnails show up, however.
>

>> A few updates, by the by. If she waits a while (she says "a minute," but
>> it
>> looked like about 30 seconds to me when I watched her showing pictures to
>> someone today) the picture actually does appear.
>
> Yep. In some cases, anyway. Even after I just displayed the picture, it
> stays white and then, eventually, shows it. Which makes for a very
> aggravating slide show.
>

>> Also, if you try to turn the unit off, it powers back on ten seconds
>> later, and
>> stays on thereafter.
>
> I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in
> and synched.

Nope, it's insisting on coming on and staying on.

>> All under the same rules. If the date is between 1/1/05 and 1/5/05
>> inclusive,
>> it acts oddly. Anything else, seems to be fine.
>>
>> I'm trying to figure out if it's one of her games that's doing this, but
>> nothing
>> has proven to be the culprit yet.
>
> Not likely. I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them back
> "this year".

Didn't help. Freakin' weird.

>> - Bill

>> rolled
>>> again. After
>> fails

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:37:21 AM

"Necron 99" <fake@fakeryet.org> wrote in message
> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> >> What app are you using to view pictures?
> >
> > The default Palm applications.
>
> Downright weird!

Indeed. I thought she'd fragged the thing somehow when she first showed it to
me.

> I have the same problem, same app, and didn't check it
> until just now.

Thanks. I'm pleased to see we're not alone.

> Thumbnails show up, however.

Yes.

> > A few updates, by the by. If she waits a while (she says "a minute," but
> > it looked like about 30 seconds to me when I watched her showing pictures
> > to someone today) the picture actually does appear.
>
> Yep. In some cases, anyway. Even after I just displayed the picture, it
> stays white and then, eventually, shows it. Which makes for a very
> aggravating slide show.
> >
> > Also, if you try to turn the unit off, it powers back on ten seconds
> > later, and
> > stays on thereafter.
>
> I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in and
> synched.

She had it doing that before being synced, but she may have had it plugged in
for charging before she brought it to me with the problem.

> > All under the same rules. If the date is between 1/1/05 and 1/5/05
> > inclusive, it acts oddly. Anything else, seems to be fine.
> >
> > I'm trying to figure out if it's one of her games that's doing this, but
> > nothing has proven to be the culprit yet.
>
> Not likely.

I didn't think so and, in fact, I've given up. Removing them doesn't seem to
help.

> I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them back
> "this year".

That didn't help me. I went so far as to cold reset (hold power and push reset)
the machine and reload everthing. No joy.

- Bill
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:40:47 AM

> > I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in
> > and synched.
>
> Nope, it's insisting on coming on and staying on.

Right. We've set the date a week ahead so it'll power off. I'm not familiar
enough with the backlight technology to be willing to chance that it'll burn out
if left on for six days, but I'm betting it won't do the it a damn bit of good.

> > Not likely. I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them back
> > "this year".
>
> Didn't help. Freakin' weird.

Right, same results here.

My Zire 71, by the way, doesn't have any problem at all with pictures (it's the
same application, isn't it?) or with power off/on.

- Bill
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:09:53 AM

> "Necron 99" <fake@fakeryet.org> wrote in message
>> > I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in
>> > and synched.
>>
>> Nope, it's insisting on coming on and staying on.
>
> Right. We've set the date a week ahead so it'll power off.

You're ahead of me. (Guess I shouldn't have waited until the Red Green show
was over.) I found that by setting it to January 5, 2005, I can not only see
the photos the way they're supposed to run, but the darn thing shuts off and
stays off.

> I'm not familiar
> enough with the backlight technology to be willing to chance that it'll
> burn out
> if left on for six days, but I'm betting it won't do the it a damn bit of
> good.

Probably just harm it.

Well, we're stuck with paper and pen for a few days, I suppose. Then, when
it's *really* the 5th, we may be back on track.

Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
--Red Green

>> > Not likely. I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them
>> > back
>> > "this year".
>>
>> Didn't help. Freakin' weird.
>
> Right, same results here.
>
> My Zire 71, by the way, doesn't have any problem at all with pictures
> (it's the
> same application, isn't it?) or with power off/on.
>
> - Bill

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 2:51:10 AM

> > Right. We've set the date a week ahead so it'll power off.
>
> You're ahead of me. (Guess I shouldn't have waited until the Red Green show
> was over.) I found that by setting it to January 5, 2005, I can not only see
> the photos the way they're supposed to run, but the darn thing shuts off and
> stays off.

Well, she'll set the date correctly when she's actually using it, then set it
back to next week when she's not. It's going to be a pain until real time
catches up, though. I *know* this didn't happen in 2004 because I gave her this
thing as a Christmas present in in 2003 and she had it with her, with some
pictures on it, at new years on 2003/2004 and I'd beemed her some pictures from
my Zire71 that night/morning and we'd hot-synced it with some pictures from our
digital camera the morning of the 1st.

> Well, we're stuck with paper and pen for a few days, I suppose. Then,
> when it's *really* the 5th, we may be back on track.

Well, she is. My Zire's working fine... so far.

> Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together.
> --Red Green

I love Red Green. I missed Edgar Montrose, though. He'd have had the solution
for this problem.

- Bill
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:37:27 PM

<post snipped>

The date-related power-up is apparently a known problem and a fix is
available from Palm, it's to do with the calendar app and birthday
reminders in January, try applying the patch. If your photo app is
going weird in the same timescale then perhaps it's related in some
strange way?

--
For every expert, there is an equal but opposite expert
Anonymous

"Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
> <post snipped>
>
> The date-related power-up is apparently a known problem and a fix is
> available from Palm, it's to do with the calendar app and birthday
> reminders in January, try applying the patch. If your photo app is
> going weird in the same timescale then perhaps it's related in some
> strange way?

I did a search through the PalmOne site hoping to find such a thing with no
success.

I've just now tried again on your push and find it on the first Tungsten-E page
under "Questions About."

I don't know if it wasn't there before, or if I "wasn't entirely there before"
(if you know what I mean, it *was* 01:30 AM 01/01/05), but thanks either way.

It's actually more of a work around than a fix, now that I read it. When you
said "patch" I was thinking it was something to download and hotsync into the
unit.

But, whatever the case, after tracking down the one birthday which met the
criteria and changing the reminder from 7 to 6 days, all the problems go away.

Thanks again.

- Bill
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:37:29 PM

> "Ian Rawlings" <news05@tarcus.org.uk> wrote in message
>> <post snipped>
>>
>> The date-related power-up is apparently a known problem and a fix is
>> available from Palm, it's to do with the calendar app and birthday
>> reminders in January, try applying the patch. If your photo app is
>> going weird in the same timescale then perhaps it's related in some
>> strange way?
>
> I did a search through the PalmOne site hoping to find such a thing with
> no
> success.
>
> I've just now tried again on your push and find it on the first Tungsten-E
> page
> under "Questions About."
>
> I don't know if it wasn't there before, or if I "wasn't entirely there
> before"
> (if you know what I mean, it *was* 01:30 AM 01/01/05), but thanks either
> way.
>
> It's actually more of a work around than a fix, now that I read it. When
> you
> said "patch" I was thinking it was something to download and hotsync into
> the
> unit.
>
> But, whatever the case, after tracking down the one birthday which met the
> criteria and changing the reminder from 7 to 6 days, all the problems go
> away.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> - Bill

Thanks to both of you. I eventually tracked down that workaround, too. (For
interested readers of our exciting saga:
http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(26450)
..)

My niece's birthday is 1/04 and my brother's is 1/06, both given my
customary seven day reminder. According to the fix, I should have the
reminders happen *after* January first. OK...but I also tinkered with my
monthly bill payment reminders, just to be safe.

At any rate, the thing is off and is set to the correct date. I still say
it's weird, but we're through it, I suppose.

Happy New Year from the palm of your hand.
Anonymous
January 2, 2005 1:37:30 PM

> At any rate, the thing is off and is set to the correct date. I still say
> it's weird, but we're through it, I suppose.

Until you want to enter a 1/1 birthday and can't use any reimder at all.

I'd have never thought to look there. My Palm Pilot Pro (my previous machine)
didn't do this birthday-via-contact thing, nor does my Zire 71 (or if it does,
I'm not aware of how to access it).

- Bil
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 2:21:45 AM

In article <33p7fbF3s229vU1@individual.net>, "Necron 99"
<fake@fakeryet.org> wrote:

> "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com> wrote in message
> > "Guy Bannis" <guy@ether.net> wrote in message
> >> What app are you using to view pictures?
> >
> > The default Palm applications.
>
> Downright weird! I have the same problem, same app, and didn't check it
> until just now. Thumbnails show up, however.

Same app. Same device. No problem here.
January 5, 2005 5:29:14 AM

I don't have photo problems, but I had the staying on problem on my
Tungsten E. Found the answer on google (from Jan 04) - it was caused
by an active birthday reminder. When I removed it the problem went
away.

Ian

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 22:40:47 -0500, "Bill Leary" <Bill_Leary@msn.com>
wrote:

>"Necron 99" <fake@fakeryet.org> wrote in message
>> > I've had mine come back on, but it's usually after it's been plugged in
>> > and synched.
>>
>> Nope, it's insisting on coming on and staying on.
>
>Right. We've set the date a week ahead so it'll power off. I'm not familiar
>enough with the backlight technology to be willing to chance that it'll burn out
>if left on for six days, but I'm betting it won't do the it a damn bit of good.
>
>> > Not likely. I'm going to try to delete the photos and then put them back
>> > "this year".
>>
>> Didn't help. Freakin' weird.
>
>Right, same results here.
>
>My Zire 71, by the way, doesn't have any problem at all with pictures (it's the
>same application, isn't it?) or with power off/on.
>
> - Bill

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 11:08:26 AM

"Ian" <cumontrealtrip*nospam*@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I don't have photo problems, but I had the staying on problem on my
> Tungsten E. Found the answer on google (from Jan 04)

No doubt. But my attempts to google (and yahoo) for it very early on January
1st didn't find anything. Nor did I find anything about it on the Palm One web
site for Tungsten E's at the same time. Another Ian pointed it out to us on the
2nd that there *was an item on the Tungsten-E site on Palm One, and on my second
look there I found it. If your news reader gives complete results you'll see
our slightly amusing exchange later in this message thread.

> - it was caused
> by an active birthday reminder. When I removed it the problem went
> away.

Or change the reminder trigger to not cross the year boundry, which is what I
did with my wife's machine. She was using 7 days for all reminders. I changed
the one offending entry to five days.

- Bill
!