MN-700 Access Point Mode-Can't get to Admin Screen

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I've setup my MN-700 in Access Point mode, given it an IP
address of 192.168.2.252 and connected it to another
router (an open port on the router to the modem port of
the MN-700).

However, I can't access the admin pages of the MN-700 when
I type the ip address above in my browser. It just times
out and says it can't open the page.

I can still access my other router via the browser by
using 192.168.2.1 though.

Any ideas on how I can get to the admin pages on my MN-700
would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

joker

The MN-700 unlike the MN-100 & MN-700 becomes a DHCP client when it is
put in access point mode. I'd suggest either using it's name or finding
it's IP address from the DHCP list in the other router.

Larry wrote:
> I've setup my MN-700 in Access Point mode, given it an IP
> address of 192.168.2.252 and connected it to another
> router (an open port on the router to the modem port of
> the MN-700).
>
> However, I can't access the admin pages of the MN-700 when
> I type the ip address above in my browser. It just times
> out and says it can't open the page.
>
> I can still access my other router via the browser by
> using 192.168.2.1 though.
>
> Any ideas on how I can get to the admin pages on my MN-700
> would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

It's not showing up in the DHCP list of the other router
(an SMC 7004abr). Only the computers attached are showing
up in the list. I can see the wired computers on the smc
router and the wireless computers attached through the mn-
700 but not the mn-700 itself.

Larry

what happens if you use a port other than the modem port?

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I'll try another port and see what happens.

I can access the internet and local area network just fine
from my wireless computers. It's only the management
pages I can't seem to get to.

Should I be able to get to these using either a wired
connection OR a wireless connection?

I've read about accessing it using the "name" assigned
when you select Access Point Mode. How is this done?

Thanks,
Larry

I've found the MN-700 to be a bit of a strange beast in AP mode ;-). It
works just fine, but heaven forbid trying to figure out how it operates as a
DHCP client.

I though I'd be a smart guy, and give it a fixed IP. Or, at least, create a
reservation for it. I let it pick up an address via DHCP, get the mac addy,
and create a reservation on the DHCP server.

But the MN-700 will have none of that ;-). It's got a second mac addy for
that case, and it will use that one to avoid the reservation I created.

Curious beast. Oh well, eventually it defeated me, and I simply used the
netbios name to acces it as the manual instructed. Let it have whatever IP
it wants, I don't care that much.

And it does work nicely.

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

> It's not showing up in the DHCP list of the other router
> (an SMC 7004abr). Only the computers attached are showing
> up in the list. I can see the wired computers on the smc
> router and the wireless computers attached through the mn-
> 700 but not the mn-700 itself.
>
> Larry

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How do you access the MN-700 using the Netbios name? For
instance, when I set up AP mode, I gave it a name
of 'TheWireless' but can't figure out how to open the
management pages using that.

Thanks,
Larry

joker

The MN-700 has a different MAC address on the WAN port then on the LAN port.

All residential routers I've seen have this.

The one on the WAN port is configurable while the one on the LAN port is
generally not.

Les Connor wrote:

> I've found the MN-700 to be a bit of a strange beast in AP mode ;-). It
> works just fine, but heaven forbid trying to figure out how it operates as a
> DHCP client.
>
> I though I'd be a smart guy, and give it a fixed IP. Or, at least, create a
> reservation for it. I let it pick up an address via DHCP, get the mac addy,
> and create a reservation on the DHCP server.
>
> But the MN-700 will have none of that ;-). It's got a second mac addy for
> that case, and it will use that one to avoid the reservation I created.
>
> Curious beast. Oh well, eventually it defeated me, and I simply used the
> netbios name to acces it as the manual instructed. Let it have whatever IP
> it wants, I don't care that much.
>
> And it does work nicely.

Wow. That's amazing that it would have a secondary MAC address to use to
avoid DHCP reservations... I find that hard to believe (as you can tell!)
but I guess if you have observed it... I run the MN-700 in AP mode too
(always have; never have bothered to run it as a router) and it works very
well in that mode. The administration pages are brutally slow and not very
well designed and there is a lack of logging in AP mode but all in all, it
was more or less worth what I paid for it.

http://thewireless

"Larry" <field@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

> How do you access the MN-700 using the Netbios name? For
> instance, when I set up AP mode, I gave it a name
> of 'TheWireless' but can't figure out how to open the
> management pages using that.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

You may also want to try ping thewireless

This access by Netbios name ought to work provided you have enabled Netbios
over TCP (usually enabled by getting such from the DHCP in the MN700 or
other router) in the network properties of the PC you are connecting from
(no need to install the Netbeui protocol)

"Larry" <field@cox-internet.com> wrote in message

> How do you access the MN-700 using the Netbios name? For
> instance, when I set up AP mode, I gave it a name
> of 'TheWireless' but can't figure out how to open the
> management pages using that.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

Hi Joker,

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that it didn't really matter which
mac addy I chose to try and create a reservation for - the router would
always out-smart me and simply switch to using the 'other' one to get it's
dhcp configuration. This is of course only in 'bridged' or AP mode.

In any case, it was more humorous than anything else, it didn't affect the
ability of the router to function - it just seemed like it was resisting my
efforts to break it's spirit ;-).

--
Les Connor [SBS MVP]
-------------------------------------

"Joker" <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message
> The MN-700 has a different MAC address on the WAN port then on the LAN
> port.
>
> All residential routers I've seen have this.
>
> The one on the WAN port is configurable while the one on the LAN port is
> generally not.
>
> Les Connor wrote:
>
>> I've found the MN-700 to be a bit of a strange beast in AP mode ;-). It
>> works just fine, but heaven forbid trying to figure out how it operates
>> as a DHCP client.
>>
>> I though I'd be a smart guy, and give it a fixed IP. Or, at least, create
>> a reservation for it. I let it pick up an address via DHCP, get the mac
>> addy, and create a reservation on the DHCP server.
>>
>> But the MN-700 will have none of that ;-). It's got a second mac addy for
>> that case, and it will use that one to avoid the reservation I created.
>>
>> Curious beast. Oh well, eventually it defeated me, and I simply used the
>> netbios name to acces it as the manual instructed. Let it have whatever
>> IP it wants, I don't care that much.
>>
>> And it does work nicely.

joker

That may be true. I've never used the MN-700 & I don't have enough
money to get another router right now. So I'm just getting by with my
MN-500 which can only be accessed by IP address even when in bridge mode.

Les Connor wrote:

> Hi Joker,
>
> I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that it didn't really matter which
> mac addy I chose to try and create a reservation for - the router would
> always out-smart me and simply switch to using the 'other' one to get it's
> dhcp configuration. This is of course only in 'bridged' or AP mode.
>
> In any case, it was more humorous than anything else, it didn't affect the
> ability of the router to function - it just seemed like it was resisting my
> efforts to break it's spirit ;-).

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Ok, I'm now able to access the screens using the Netbios
name that I setup when I switched to AP mode. Thanks for
all the help.

Larry

Vic

Have you tried using a static IP address? (of course,
first assign the IP in router mode, and then change to
AP).

Not so sure if it will help, but you can give it a try.