Are Expos a good place to buy quality pins?

Still searching for my first group of pins. The Chicago Expo is coming
up soon and I was wondering if that (or other Expos) is a good place to
buy quality pins at "reasonable" prices.
16 answers Last reply
More about expos good place quality pins

    hrmm, I would say no. Good place for parts though.

    The prices are usualy inflated a bit for the impulse buyer.

    -c

    yes, expo is a good place, some stuff is too high, some is just right.
    pends who is selling (same for parts). i know a couple guys who bring
    several machines each and their prices are very reasonable.

    i'm happy-talky-talking tina, here's your extra ball wrote:
    > yes, expo is a good place, some stuff is too high, some is just right.
    > pends who is selling (same for parts). i know a couple guys who bring
    > several machines each and their prices are very reasonable.

    I would agree. Last year I noted several things with regard to pin
    prices at Expo. First of all, there was a seller with what amounted to
    unshopped pins straight off of a container, some good deals were to be
    found there, but you had to know what you were looking at because they
    were not converted to 110V. There was Keller's booth with the
    exceptional condition refurbished games aimed at the retail or high end
    collector market. I also saw several sellers with medium condition
    games at all price levels, also a number of EMs were available at
    decent prices.

    For me, the best situation for a buyer is if a player/collector has
    brought up a game that they have spent countless hours restoring and
    have finally decided to sell. You get the benefit of all that work and
    fine tuning, a chance to do some real playtesting, plus you can pick it
    up so you avoid the shipping costs. Pricing will be higher on these
    games, but it is arguably worth it. I know if Duncan ever decides to
    sell his Star Gazer I will butt in line to get a chance at it:)

    I can tell you that last year I received offers on 6 of the 8 games I
    brought, and those games were not even for sale! I received four
    offers on Shadow alone, another guy kept bugging me about SnS for two
    days, and these games all had "not for sale" signs on the backglass.
    Same thing happened the year before when I brought I500 and SC. If you
    have a game in decent shape, you can certainly sell it at Expo.

    Brian Bannon

    Not at all. Many pins that are brought to sell are
    often less than stellar examples. It _is_a good place
    to find that elusive game to complete a collection. (Of
    course that applies to mostly older pins).

    If you're looking for nice, you'd better "call ahead".

    Great place to pick up parts, though!

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    =================================
    pinballmick wrote:
    > Still searching for my first group of pins. The Chicago Expo is coming
    > up soon and I was wondering if that (or other Expos) is a good place to
    > buy quality pins at "reasonable" prices.

    EXPO I believe offers games for all budgets and Wants!! You NEVER
    know what will show up UNLESS you come!! No OTHER show offers so
    much variety!! TOUR, Seminars,tournament,PARTS PARTS PARTS ,GAmes
    and more games PEOPLE..you WILL NEver anywhere find more pinball
    industry people under one roof!!!

    You should be able to find anything from firewood to
    meticulously-restored machines there, with prices just as widely
    varying. I hauled up a fully shopped Demoman up there last year and
    had to let it go for only $1100 since I had to leave early, and there
    were plenty of cheap projects around to go with the fully shopped
    games. Bring money and see what shows up.

    mikepin wrote:
    > EXPO I believe offers games for all budgets and Wants!! You NEVER
    > know what will show up UNLESS you come!! No OTHER show offers so
    > much variety!! TOUR, Seminars,tournament,PARTS PARTS PARTS ,GAmes
    > and more games PEOPLE..you WILL NEver anywhere find more pinball
    > industry people under one roof!!!

    You forgot to say:

    "expo sales pitch over..."

    the question is valid- "do I bring a fist full of cash or is it a waste
    of time?" I have seen a few deals (nice black hole and HH for decent $)
    and a LOT of high priced games. Prices tend to fall by the end of the
    show, but so do the games. I never go to expo hoping to find a deal,
    but I do keep an eye out for one.

    Kirb

    The guy with the container pins had the best deals. Some of the games
    would turn out pretty nice with a lot of elbow grease. Bring a fist
    full of cash for that.

    Still at the end of the show there was a beat to all hell T2 there non
    converted for $900. I dont know if i would say that was a good value.

    your DM was a great deal for the money. RazerX's earthshaker was pretty
    decent too.

    Most prices i see on games just make me shake my head....maybe i should
    get over my anti haggling stance ;)

    -c

    > Still searching for my first group of pins. The Chicago Expo is coming
    > up soon and I was wondering if that (or other Expos) is a good place to
    > buy quality pins at "reasonable" prices.

    I bought a pin that was at Expo last year. Granted I didn't buy it right
    from the EXPO floor, but I ended up with it two weeks later for less than
    was listed on the backglass...

    ...EARTHSHAAAAAAAAAAAAAKER!!!! :-)

    --
    Mike S.
    Kalamazoo, MI

    Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
    W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
    M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

    every year for the last decade+ i go to expo with a fist-full of cash
    and every year i spend it all. be it parts, pictures, posters, machines
    (of all conditions), or anything else pinball i just never seem to have
    enough loot to buy everything that comes my way.

    gas for the way home you say? credit card baby! ;-)

    Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

    There were some good deals at the Texas Pinball Expo last year.
    If a I may Post a Shameless Plug....It's a Nice show and was a BLAST!!

    yes and no. Yes if you know what you are doing (and what to look for) and
    if you get to play the game prior to buying.
    in general no if otherwise. If it's in auction format they tend to sell on
    the high side.

    Dallas...

    --
    Home Page: www.geocities.com/d_overturf
    Replies regarding News Group messages to me may get a challenge verifier

    "pinballmick" <michaelpug@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Still searching for my first group of pins. The Chicago Expo is coming
    > up soon and I was wondering if that (or other Expos) is a good place to
    > buy quality pins at "reasonable" prices.

    Where can I find out information about the Chicago Expo?

    http://www.pinballexpo.net/ LTG :)

    "EJH" <ejh33ny@aol.com> wrote in message
    > Where can I find out information about the Chicago Expo?

    http://www.pinballnews.com/ Also Check out Martin's Pinball News site. Diary
    section has upcoming shows. And the site is loaded with lots of good things
    including write ups from previous shows. LTG :)

    "Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in message
    > http://www.pinballexpo.net/ LTG :)
    >
    > "EJH" <ejh33ny@aol.com> wrote in message
    > > Where can I find out information about the Chicago Expo?

    Awww....same can be said about the Texas Pinball Festival ....just a
    mere six weeks away :-)

    Sorry couldn't resist

    Craig

    2005 Texas Pinball Festival
    October 28th-30th, 2005
    Irving, Texas
    www.texaspinball.com

    Hassell Castle Homepage
    Includes information on my games and
    the Cirqus Voltaire Owners List:
    http://www.hassellcastle.com

    > Posted thru AtlantisNews - Explore EVERY Newsgroup <
    > http://www.AtlantisNews.com -- Lightning Fast!!! <
    > Access the Most Content * No Limits * Best Service <

Games Video Games