Athlon XP 2500-M overclockability?

Yes. Depending on the cooling

2.4 - 2.7Ghz

endyen

Splendid
If your chip overclocks pourly, you can blame it on the chip, but no-one will believe you. A 20% OC is easy, a 30% OC takes a little knowhow, and a 40% OC takes skill. More than 40% takes too much $ to be concidered.

and a -% overclock takes stupidity! :lol:

endyen

Splendid
Not if you live in the Sahara, want an almost passive system, or want to run it in, of all places, a laptop.
I rather like the idea of undervolting and underclocking one for use in an entertainment system, with very little fan noise.

Just shut up.

Always a pleasure my friend.

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
These are the specs for my pc:
Athlon 2500+ M
Abit NF7-S
1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200
Radeon 9800 PRO
Thermaltake SilentTower hsf

I don't think I should have a problem over clocking. The HSF seems pretty good. What temps should it run at if I were to have it overclocked to 200Mhz? I am a little upset at the memory, I don't believe its dual channel. I looked on the website for the specs and it doesn't mention anything about dual channel :( If anyone thinks they can get the info its KHX3200AK2/1G. Also I play EQ2 hours at a time, sometimes days at a time so I don't want to burn it up playing with it OCed.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
It isn't the memory that is dual channel, it is the mainboard. As long as you've bought 2 identical modules of 512 MB (but I think you bought a 1 GB stick) and put them in the appropriate slots you can use dual channel, it's impossible to operate dual channel with only 1 stick.

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
Its a 1GB kit so it has two 512MB sticks. I do believe this is a dual channel board but I'm not sure. I also need to know what program I can use to monitor the temps. I tried using motherboard monitor but since windows doesn't know the cpu type, MoBo monitor can't do its job :( How can I tell if its running on dual channel? Also, are you always supposed to put memory from dimm3 to dimm1?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Hellrazor on 01/15/05 11:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
2.6ghz @ 1.85v on air, but gets too hot I would need to turn all my case fans on but i dont like the noise. so i run at 2.2ghz @ 1.5v

runs pretty cool, and 2.2ghz is very good for what I do. speedy.

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

endyen

Splendid
MBM5 works fine with that chip and board. Just run the config wizard. MBM5 is important with your board, as it will give accurate readings for temps and volts, while in windows. Your board does tend to undervolt, so use mbm to see what the true core voltage is.
The board will tell you if it's running dual channel, after it finishes the ram test.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Are these socket A mobile XP`s good if you can OC a XP2500 to say 2,5ghz what performance increase would you expect.
what would be the difference in say 3dmark03 from your systems stock to OC?

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
The difference in 3dmark03 won't be really big. 3dmark03 and especially 05 depend on gpu much more than cpu. You will however see a big difference in 3dmark01.

hellrazor

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2004
I can't get motherboard monitor to work, it just sits at the splash screen when it first starts. There is an error that comes up but it is hidden by the splash screen. I think it may have something to do with the unknown cpu type. It even says unknown cpu in the bios. Do you think that updating the bios will help. I've never done it before and would hate to screw something up.

endyen

Splendid
No, updating the bios does not recognize the mobile chip. If you access MBM5 through the start button, you will see 2 options that may help. First try the config option, if that doesn't help, try the debug. If neither of those work, uninstall, download again, and re-install. It's a great prog, well worth the bother. If you dont do it now, you will have to latter, if you have problems.