Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking destroyed my windows 7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 16, 2012 8:31:24 AM

ok so i was overclocking my C2D E7500 and i had forgotten to boot into windows everytime i just went to the post screen and after i had gotten the cpu to 4Ghz/1.4VCore i tried to boot into windows and it said that"windows failed to start a recent hardware or software change might be the cause"so i thought that the overclock was to high so i turned it down all the way to default and it still says the same thing the last software i put on it was coretemp to check my cpu temp for the overclock.i don't know what to do i'm kinda scared that i damaged the cpu or worse
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 8:55:11 AM

The Core 2 Duo era processor you speak of tends to max out at 2.93GHz, trying to push it any harder ---especially to 4GHz--- is just asking to permanently damage the CPU!
- 65nm and 45nm C2D (Conroe, etc.) parts just can't reach that sort of clock speed.

Technically overclocking destroyed your hardware stability, so the copy/copies of your registry data, etc. in RAM when Windows was loading became corrupted prior to being partially committed back to disk.

Upon rebooting your OS was corrupt.

Restoring default clock speeds does not magically uncorrupt data that the overclock has already corrupted.
- Consider it a lesson learned for next time.

Overclocking without Clonezilla backups from a 'known good' stock clock speed state is high risk. (That's why all the FAQ's will say to do it at your own risk, and to ensure you have working back-ups prior to doing anything that may, or may not, void the warranty on hardware).

There's not much anyone can do to uncorrupt data that has become corrupted from overclocking --- let alone any other cause(s).

I would suggest re-installing Windows then immediately making a Clonezilla backup 'snapshot' of your entire HDD prior to overclocking or even 'tweaking' RAM timings.
- When you re-install do so using the BIOS default clock speeds and other BIOS default settings
- Only chance a setting (eg: AHCI/RAID, etc.) if you need to, to get Windows to install.
- Once done use Clonezilla (download it without an overclock) and make the Clonezilla complete system image.

Then... go about your overclocking after reading up on what die shrinks of which micro-architectures can handle what clock-speeds at a given voltage.
- Running hardware beyond specification is an art form, it's not something you do in 20 minutes in an afternoon.
- Keep your expectations realistic, if an OC sounds to good to be true, then it probably is.

Regards,
Scott

Best of luck with your future overclocks.
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:01:03 AM

can i buy a recovery disc because i bought the computer without the windows 7 disk and also the stock clock of the cpu is 2.93Ghz so how can it max out at 2.93Ghz if i got it to 3.4Ghz with no crash the day before?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 9:03:11 AM

PS: You'd better off getting a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7200 to replace your E7500, then running the FSB at 1333 (from 1066) for an overclocked speed of 3.06GHz.
- Very few C2D's of 45nm will reach over 3.2GHz and retain stability!

I believe there is a 70% chance that you have permanently damaged your E7500, which is why I offer the above advice.

Don't run your RAM above spec either, if it can't do 1333 then run it dual-channel at 1066 with the FSB at 1333.
There is a good chance of a E7200 reaching 3.06GHz, because that is where the 45nm C2D's tend to max out.
- Especially if you carefully apply additional voltage.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 9:10:48 AM

Hardware needs to be burned in gradually, especially if you want to achieve anything significant overclock wise.
- It will take 72 hours of testing to get anywhere over about a month, if you're not happy to invest 72 hours of your time overclocking then don't overclock.

Alternatively just buy replacement CPU, MOBO, RAM (DDR3) and get with the times.
- It is almost 2013 after all.

I am unsure of your budget, and a replacement E7200 (if required) and a re-installation of Windows 7 (with the Clonezilla backup, at stock clock speeds) will somewhat prevent this from happening again.

Don't be too eager, overclock gradually then test using Prime95 and MemTest86+
- If you get ANY errors, immediately back off at least 3 to 5MHz on FSB.

The trick is finding a good processor die size that covers a wide range, buying the 2nd lowest 'bin' of that CPU type and then trying to reach the speeds of the 2nd highest 'bin' of that CPU type (as there is an >= 85% that it will run at the higher clock speed).

Most of todays processors are multiplier locked, so increasing the FSB is the easiest way to overclock them. Sadly the newer BCLK boards don't like having their FSB run more than 5% out of spec.

m
l
December 16, 2012 9:13:45 AM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
PS: You'd better off getting a Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E7200 to replace your E7500, then running the FSB at 1333 (from 1066) for an overclocked speed of 3.06GHz.
- Very few C2D's of 45nm will reach over 3.2GHz and retain stability!

I believe there is a 70% chance that you have permanently damaged your E7500, which is why I offer the above advice.

Don't run your RAM above spec either, if it can't do 1333 then run it dual-channel at 1066 with the FSB at 1333.
There is a good chance of a E7200 reaching 3.06GHz, because that is where the 45nm C2D's tend to max out.
- Especially if you carefully apply additional voltage.

actually the E7500 wasn't doing me much good because i have 2 nvidia 465's and the cpu was bottlenecking them like crazy(only 35% usage on each card)i will most likely get an AMD 6300 or 4300 and a new motherboard that way it doesn't bottleneck it so much how can i check to see if the cpu works or not?
m
l
December 16, 2012 9:48:40 AM

If you download memtest and create a bootable CD, if you return ALL of your BIOS settings to default speeds I would have thought a successful run through memtest would imply the CPU is okay - after all the memory test needs the CPU to send data to memory. It's a simple way to start.
m
l
December 16, 2012 10:01:09 AM

SteveH3671 said:
If you download memtest and create a bootable CD, if you return ALL of your BIOS settings to default speeds I would have thought a successful run through memtest would imply the CPU is okay - after all the memory test needs the CPU to send data to memory. It's a simple way to start.

to run memtest i need to get to the home screen which i can't do
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:18:07 AM

devilofdeaths said:
to run memtest i need to get to the home screen which i can't do

Memtest86+ is run from a CD or USB. Not windows.

The "burn in" bit is a total myth. You just need to test for stability when overclocking and 72hours is extremely excessive, and it most certainly does not take a month unless you're doing it wrong. But the fact it can POST is not a test at all.

Stock for the CPU is 2.93 and it CAN approach 4GHz, but 3.6 is more reasonable. you took your voltage and clock way to high without any sort of testing though so you may have caused permanent damage. That's about the only thing Scott has said that actually makes any sense. I can not stress enough you should not buy a lower version of your CPU that he thinks will only overclock 130 MHz past your current, better CPUs stock clock. That's a ridiculous thing to do. Pretty much he's not making any sense so ignore him

reset to defaults, download the official windows 7 iso here.

Http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

And reinstall with your product key. If successful Then actually go read some material on overclocking before just punching in numbers.
m
l
December 16, 2012 10:29:34 AM

unksol said:
Memtest86+ is run from a CD or USB. Not windows.

The "burn in" bit is a total myth. You just need to test for stability when overclocking and 72hours is extremely excessive, and it most certainly does not take a month unless you're doing it wrong. But the fact it can POST is not a test at all.

Stock for the CPU is 2.93 and it CAN approach 4GHz, but 3.6 is more reasonable. you took your voltage and clock way to high without any sort of testing though so you may have caused permanent damage. That's about the only thing Scott has said that actually makes any sense. I can not stress enough you should not buy a lower version of your CPU that he thinks will only overclock 130 MHz past your current, better CPUs stock clock. That's a ridiculous thing to do. Pretty much he's not making any sense so ignore him

reset to defaults, download the official windows 7 iso here.

Http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os...

And reinstall with your product key. If successful Then actually go read some material on overclocking before just punching in numbers.

1.thanks for the memtest advice

2.i was very stupid with the overclocking i had heard that it can go to 4Ghz with proper cooling(have)and originally i put it to 3.4Ghz/1.35VCore to
3.85/1.4VCore to a dead cpu(supposidly still don't know)

3.i bought my computer from EBAY and it didn't come with a product key
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 10:38:13 AM

There may be a COA sticker with it on the back or inside. They aren't supposed to sell it without one.

You can attempt a repair or system restore using the windows 7 disk. you can also get to.a command prompt and run chkdsk and sfc /scannow. If it is a major manufacturer it may also have a recovery partition
m
l
December 16, 2012 10:43:59 AM

unksol said:
There may be a COA sticker with it on the back or inside. They aren't supposed to sell it without one.

You can attempt a repair or system restore using the windows 7 disk. you can also get to.a command prompt and run chkdsk and sfc /scannow. If it is a major manufacturer it may also have a recovery partition

no i don't think you get what i said.i bought my computer from ebay and it didn't come with a windows 7 disk,product key,ect. just the components in the tower
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 12:30:19 PM

Dude, a E7200 will run on a 133FSB to give 3.06GHz.
- It's one of the simplest +25% overclocks that one can do.
- You've said yourself, the 45nm parts can approach 3.6GHz.
- Maybe he can get a Core 2 Quad on 45nm for the same motherboard?

At least this way his FSB stays in spec.

If you want to re-install Windows you'll need to buy it I'm afraid.
- Should've checked that the PC came with a Win7 product key and re-installation media (retail or OEM) when you bought it.

If you're bottlenecking SLI cards then just replace your CPU, MOBO, RAM.

Sorry, you're right it's the 65nm parts that tend to max out around 2.93GHz to 3.06GHz
- The 45nm parts will achieve higher clock speeds.
- My bad.
- The reason your OS isn't booting is still valid (as far above), regardless of whether others wish understand it or not.
- Easiest way to corrupt your registry is via overclocking, once it's corrupted it can't be uncorrupted if every copy is bad (Windows keeps two copies).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 1:03:24 PM

First the the 45nm C2D will easily hit 3.5GHz easily with good cooling. Second you shouldnt have to exceed 1.35v to reach that freq. and dont let temps go above 70c under full load. Third more than likely nothing on the system is corrupt. It just means that the clock freq. was too high and not completely stable so more than likely something failed to start. It will happen sometimes when you prematurely shut the system down. Try to set everything in the Bios to optimized defaults and start over.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 1:05:24 PM

Also what motherboard are you using?
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 1:12:18 PM

WOW just wow!

I have a E7200 that has been running at 3.8Ghz for nearly four years! 1.35v which is within Intel specs!

I have had it well over 4.2Ghz with 1.5v dialled in (death run yes, but it still clocks on!)

You overclock, you risk damage! but seriously, 3.4/6/8 is easy for these chips!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:05:14 PM

^+1

I totally agree! I had an e8500 overclocked to 4.8GHz (death run) on chilled water. The 45nm C2D are beast when it comes to overclocking! The only other chip I had that impressed me more was an old e6300 C2D. I managed to overclock from 1.8GHz to 3.5GHz. C2D era was an overclockers dream! Yes the new chips clock higher but they also have a higher clock from the start. Just my opinion

m
l
December 16, 2012 2:13:39 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Also what motherboard are you using?

EVGA-122-YW-E173 and also at 3.6/8 it only got to about 65C max average was about 59-62
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:15:41 PM

also people that love the C2D era i'm sorry but i'm moving on to never cpu's like the fx6300 or maybe an intel HASWELL cpu?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:17:59 PM

Looks good to me! Are you dead set on 4GHz? Not all CPU's are alike so you may never be able to hit 4GHz with what you have but you wont see much of a performance difference between 3.8 and 4GHz.
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:18:50 PM

but could someone please tell me what i need to do buy a new Win7,MOBO/cpu,ect.?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:21:24 PM

Move on, the C2D era was amazing but the performance difference between then and now cannot be compared. I do suggest that if you are going to upgrade then go with Intel. Nothing against AMD but they arent even in the same league.
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:22:38 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Looks good to me! Are you dead set on 4GHz? Not all CPU's are alike so you may never be able to hit 4GHz with what you have but you wont see much of a performance difference between 3.8 and 4GHz.

i know but the bottleneck was just so bad(bf3 640x400 EVERYTHING low and still only getting 25 constant fps)
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:23:11 PM

Whats your price range?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:24:51 PM

devilofdeaths said:
i know but the bottleneck was just so bad(bf3 640x400 EVERYTHING low and still only getting 25 constant fps)

What GPU do you have?
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:29:56 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
What GPU do you have?

1.2 nvidia 465's in SLI usage ~35% in bf3
2.budget yet to be decided i have $75 right now but expected to get more($100+)in about 2 weeks
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2012 2:38:04 PM

You definitely have a bottleneck. You are going to need more than $100 to upgrade. Somebody correct me if im wrong, but you should be getting better frame rates then that though. When was the lat time you updated the drivers?
m
l
December 16, 2012 2:40:48 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
You definitely have a bottleneck. You are going to need more than $100 to upgrade. Somebody correct me if im wrong, but you should be getting better frame rates then that though. When was the lat time you updated the drivers?

i was using the latest nvidia drivers(updated 3 days ago) and yes i will have around $250 hopefully meaning AMD 4300+asrock AM3+motherboard
m
l
December 16, 2012 3:27:00 PM

what i want to know is if i have to buy a copy of Win7
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:34:51 AM

Before I did anything I would try to play it with one GPU maybe an SLI issue. With your setup you should be able to play BF3 at 1680x1050 at medium settings.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 17, 2012 5:36:55 AM

Dont jump the gun til you make sure you dont have another problem.
m
l
December 18, 2012 7:06:06 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Dont jump the gun til you make sure you dont have another problem.

i am 95% sure that my Win7 is gone and the the cpu is fried any options to what i can do?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2012 8:06:47 AM

Did you try resetting the BIOS? Can you actually boot into windows? How do you know the Cpu is fried? You said you can run The Cpu at 3.6-3.8GHz and the temps were 65c which is within spec.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2012 8:14:25 AM

Try method 1 first
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:10:29 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Try method 1 first

1.havent tried method 1 yet but just so you know i went into the windows repair thing before i started this and it didn't work and i don't know if my cpu is fried no one will tell me how to check :fou: 
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:37:51 PM

ok so now the computer won't even put a picture on my monitor/tv it may be becuase i reset the CMOS without turning off the power i don't know if that effect it i don't really know about getting a system back up and running i just know the building/picking parts for a specific budget
m
l
December 21, 2012 2:57:59 PM

there is a debug led on my motherboard and it read 7F so i went to the online manual and it said
"7F/POST error check Check/POST error and display them and ask for user
intervention
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 7:07:55 AM

From what I have read about that error it looks like it is a video card problem. I would try one video card at a time in each slot, if it dont fix it try one stick of memory at a time in each slot. Also, I dont know when you got the board but originally that Cpu wasnt 100% compatible with that board without a bios update so make sure you have the latest bios.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 22, 2012 9:40:50 AM

Also try resetting the bios again, this time shut the system down, turn off power, unplug psu, last hit the power button. This will ensure there is no power to the motherboard. Reset the bios. Bare with me and we will get this figured out. It takes a lot to damage a Cpu so I really doubt it is fried. I would say it is a videocard, memory, or even a motherboard before the Cpu.
m
l
December 22, 2012 8:59:37 PM

quick note just pulled out the RAM and it's 2 seperate kits one is nvidia sli ready 2gb at 2.1V while the other is some kingston RAM that has no heat spreader and it runs at 1.8V and i know that that is bad so should i buy more RAM? also i already did do the reset bios with no power and still didn't work :fou: 
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2012 12:46:40 PM

Have you tried everything I suggested?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2012 3:56:33 AM

It is a memory error. Try it in another slot. If that dont work try another stick and so on. When you are done trying that let me know.
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:04:07 AM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
It is a memory error. Try it in another slot. If that dont work try another stick and so on. When you are done trying that let me know.

ok not done with the testing but the RAM that gave me a different post just became extremely hot i placed it in the slot turned the computer on for no more than 20 seconds and when i pulled it out it was scorching hot
m
l
December 24, 2012 11:04:49 AM

also all the other sticks of RAM are giving me the same post code 7F as before
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2012 4:08:23 PM

Ok, you probably have a bad stick. Just use 2 good matching sticks for now. Now try 1 GPU at a time in each slot. I also read somewhere that a floppy drive can cause this error, if you have one try disconnecting it too.
m
l
December 24, 2012 7:26:36 PM

d1rtyju1c3 said:
Ok, you probably have a bad stick. Just use 2 good matching sticks for now. Now try 1 GPU at a time in each slot. I also read somewhere that a floppy drive can cause this error, if you have one try disconnecting it too.

already tried seating and reseating both cards in each slot and no floppy drive :( 
m
l
!