Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My physical memory usage is so high

Last response: in Windows 7
Share
December 16, 2012 10:03:20 AM

I need solutions on how to decrease the physical memory usage of my pc.

sitting here typing this with no other windows open except Windows Task Manager and my Windows sidebar i get:

Processes: 53
CPU Usage 4%
Physical Memory: 55%

Any ideas on how I can reduce this please? I have 2gb of RAM installed. Windows 7.



a b $ Windows 7
December 16, 2012 10:14:51 AM

brandido said:
I need solutions on how to decrease the physical memory usage of my pc.

sitting here typing this with no other windows open except Windows Task Manager and my Windows sidebar i get:

Processes: 53
CPU Usage 4%
Physical Memory: 55%

Any ideas on how I can reduce this please? I have 2gb of RAM installed. Windows 7.


You only got 2gb... so 55% is only using 1GB..
Dont worry about it... win 7 is good at managing mem.
Mem is so cheap - just put in another 2Gb of mem... then you will be at 25% ;) 
Cant beotherd to explain more... if you really interested.. google it
Cheers
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 10:26:21 AM

Yes, 2GB is VERY low!! If your OS is 32bit add a further 2GB, if it's 64bit then consider more (e.g. 8GB if a good target). As above, memory is cheap.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 16, 2012 10:27:30 AM

there shouldn't be a need to reduce your memory usage. it's perfectly normal for Windows 7 to be using over 1GB of RAM. you should only start to worry if your RAM usage gets above.. say 85% or more.

if there is free RAM available why should Windows or programs not use it? Imagine a program laying it's tools out on it's virtual workbench. there's no need to confine it to a tiny workbench if there's not a shortage of RAM/virtual workspace.
m
0
l
December 16, 2012 10:52:42 AM

The usage is perfectly normal. I would highly suggest you upgrade to at least 4GB. You might see mediocre performance improvements
m
0
l
February 28, 2013 12:35:43 PM

Help!!! I have 8GB of RAM on a brand new custom build ( to run Avid, its 6 months old) and am running windows 7... its been running really slow lately and I just checked and although CPU is 1-3% right now, physical memory is up to a steady 96%... what's going on? How do I fix this?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2013 12:46:57 PM

jadedknightly said:
Help!!! I have 8GB of RAM on a brand new custom build ( to run Avid, its 6 months old) and am running windows 7... its been running really slow lately and I just checked and although CPU is 1-3% right now, physical memory is up to a steady 96%... what's going on? How do I fix this?

You don't. It's perfectly normal for RAM use to be relatively high (that's what it's there for). Just let Windows manage it and don't worry about it.
m
0
l
July 19, 2013 7:43:19 PM

ex_bubblehead said:
jadedknightly said:
Help!!! I have 8GB of RAM on a brand new custom build ( to run Avid, its 6 months old) and am running windows 7... its been running really slow lately and I just checked and although CPU is 1-3% right now, physical memory is up to a steady 96%... what's going on? How do I fix this?

You don't. It's perfectly normal for RAM use to be relatively high (that's what it's there for). Just let Windows manage it and don't worry about it.


so out of curiosity.. though you say it is normal. why is it running at 96% ? does it mean there are other hidden programs running like say an android phone where more apps running is wearing out the battery or in this case the RAM?? im a noob i understand ..it just seems that my laptop is doing the same ..thought i have 4 g RAM on a core i7 running windows 7 .. and though i close over thing i still dont understand..please explain


m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
July 20, 2013 3:12:06 AM

rob bob said:


so out of curiosity.. though you say it is normal. why is it running at 96% ? does it mean there are other hidden programs running like say an android phone where more apps running is wearing out the battery or in this case the RAM?? im a noob i understand ..it just seems that my laptop is doing the same ..thought i have 4 g RAM on a core i7 running windows 7 .. and though i close over thing i still dont understand..please explain



ex_bubblehead is right and wrong.. Win 7 will use all available memory as much as possible...what it does not actually need it uses it as cache for what it might need in future etc to ty and speed things up as much as possible.. so in fact your mem is pretty much always fully used. However, the tools will generally only tell you whats in use for current app needs etc.. not this "cache" use. So if the tool is say 8GB is 96% in use - then it is strange and worth investigating on what is actually using it.. to see if it makes sense or if some application has gone rogue,

HTH
Cheers

m
0
l
!