My physical memory usage is so high

Status
Not open for further replies.

brandido

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
I need solutions on how to decrease the physical memory usage of my pc.

sitting here typing this with no other windows open except Windows Task Manager and my Windows sidebar i get:

Processes: 53
CPU Usage 4%
Physical Memory: 55%

Any ideas on how I can reduce this please? I have 2gb of RAM installed. Windows 7.

29dx0cg.jpg

2h4w9qb.jpg

You only got 2gb... so 55% is only using 1GB..
Dont worry about it... win 7 is good at managing mem.
Mem is so cheap - just put in another 2Gb of mem... then you will be at 25% ;)
Cant beotherd to explain more... if you really interested.. google it
Cheers

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
there shouldn't be a need to reduce your memory usage. it's perfectly normal for Windows 7 to be using over 1GB of RAM. you should only start to worry if your RAM usage gets above.. say 85% or more.

if there is free RAM available why should Windows or programs not use it? Imagine a program laying it's tools out on it's virtual workbench. there's no need to confine it to a tiny workbench if there's not a shortage of RAM/virtual workspace.

jadedknightly

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Help!!! I have 8GB of RAM on a brand new custom build ( to run Avid, its 6 months old) and am running windows 7... its been running really slow lately and I just checked and although CPU is 1-3% right now, physical memory is up to a steady 96%... what's going on? How do I fix this?

You don't. It's perfectly normal for RAM use to be relatively high (that's what it's there for). Just let Windows manage it and don't worry about it.

rob bob

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

so out of curiosity.. though you say it is normal. why is it running at 96% ? does it mean there are other hidden programs running like say an android phone where more apps running is wearing out the battery or in this case the RAM?? im a noob i understand ..it just seems that my laptop is doing the same ..thought i have 4 g RAM on a core i7 running windows 7 .. and though i close over thing i still dont understand..please explain

ex_bubblehead is right and wrong.. Win 7 will use all available memory as much as possible...what it does not actually need it uses it as cache for what it might need in future etc to ty and speed things up as much as possible.. so in fact your mem is pretty much always fully used. However, the tools will generally only tell you whats in use for current app needs etc.. not this "cache" use. So if the tool is say 8GB is 96% in use - then it is strange and worth investigating on what is actually using it.. to see if it makes sense or if some application has gone rogue,

HTH
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.