Computer won't come out of stand-by--help!

bovinda

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
A computer I just built has a problem with stand-by mode--sometimes (it's irregular and unpredictable as far as I can tell) it won't come out of it. When I push the power button to get it out of stand-by mode, the PSU comes on and I hear the fans start, but there's no video signal and the LEDs on the front of the case flash on for a moment then stay off. I can't get it to shut down by holding in the power button or anything else, I just have to reset it.

Is this a problem with AMD 64s? I had the same problem on another AMD 64 system, although less regularly. Has anyone had this problem?

Here are the specs for the machine its happening on now:

AMD 64 3200 (90 nm) socket 939
MSI Neo2 Plat
1 Gig Corsair Value Select RAM
BFG NVidia 6800 OC
Antec Sonata case with 380 watt Truepower
Viewsonic Optiquest 95 monitor
Windows XP MCE 2005

I have it set to S3 mode for stand-by.

The machine it used to happen on (hasn't happened since I switched the monitor to the one I just built):
AMD 64 3400 (130 nm)
Gigabyte NForce 3 150 Socket 754
1 Gig Corsair RAM (CMX?)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128
Antec 480 watt PSU
Windows XP Home

This machine is also set to S3 mode for stand-by.

Anyone have any experiences with this, know what's causing it, or have a solution?

Thank you,
Jeff

P.S. Sorry if this isn't the right forum--I wasn't sure where it would be appropriate to post. Thank you...

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Personally I have never liked standby mode. I have seen more than one system have propblems returning from it's lethargic sleep. Can you just take it off standby and turn you machine off when not in use? If you are only away from it for short periods of time then maybe just a screen saver or just shut off the monitor.

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>

bovinda

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2004
Hmm. Maybe I'll just stop using S3 then. It just seemed like a good way to keep the computer quiet and saving power for my impatient self. No solutions, huh?

Lazerous

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2005
Does your MB support the Cool-n-Quiet technology from AMD?

If so, then maybe that would be better. When you are idle CnQ will actually down-clock your entire PC to save energy, make your chip run cooler and everything not work so hard. It basically dials everything back when this is enabled.

<font color=green>AMD 64 3700+
ASUS K8N-E Deluxe
CORSAIR XMS (1gb) PC-3200
Gigabyte GF 6800gt 256mb
Audigy 2 ZS
2_36.7gb Raptors/Raid 0
Tt 480 watt PSU</font color=green>

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Check your power management in the bios.

Use either the bios or Windows to manage it, not both.

<font color=red>DCB</font color=red><font color=white>_</font color=white><font color=blue>AU</font color=blue>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
This is a problem with windows interfacing with the Mobo and happens all the time except in OEM rigs. Sometimes its just a setting in the BIOS that needs to be enabled. Also in wireless keyboard/mouse kits, when one presses the standby button on the keyboard they can wait it via mouse/keyboard normally since the hub detects shut down and goes out as well, find this on those running it in USB more then PS2 ports. Software updates may reslove it and if not forgetit would be in order there.

Personally I dont use standby mode anymore since it does crap as far as saving wear or the power bill. This function should be reserved for notebooks only.

If you cant shut down you rig by holding down the power button then thats a problem. Make sure the BIOS is set right and you case wires are plugged into the mobo right as well.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

Latest posts