jerommeke

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
Hi,

my Dell Dimension 8400 just arrived and I noticed that it has a 550 P4 processor instead of the 540 P4 that I ordered.
I am very pleased with this "extra", but I'm a little bit worried about heat production, since the 550 has a max of 115 W and the 540 only has a max of 85 W ? Also I didn't get the E0 stepping I hoped for, but I guess I shouldn't complain.
I want to do some thermal monitoring, but I can't find a program that is working on my Dell. Can someone help ?

Regards
Jerommeke

Jerommeke

endyen

Splendid
It's a proprietary mobo. I'm not sure if Asus is still making them for Dell, or not. MBM5 has not been updated for any of the s775 boards afaik. He may be able to get it to work, if he can find out what sensor the board is using. Sandra might also be able to tell him the chip temp.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
There is a program called Thermal Monitor that is free. Google it. I have the P4 550 myself. It does produce alot of heat but it can be controlled. Im not familiar with the components in Dell, but you should also pay attention to other parts like the Northbridge because they can get to hot also.

endyen

Splendid
A friend of mine got the Dell, with the 540, and the X300 graphics. Just for fun, I ran performance test on it. It scored 278. My xp2000, with a gforce2 scored 210. My old computer, an xp2500+@ 2.4, with a 9600pro scored 400.
Dell is such a waste.

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
At my faculty they just bought about 60 miniature Dell pc's. with P4's inside. About 6 months ago I told them to go with LCD panels (because of space required, and mainly, power), they bought LCD's but those tiny Dell things are room heaters, each one of them. So they still have to use the AC even though it's winter...
Dell and Intel policy....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Dell sourced most of their boards through Intel (who has them manufactured to their specs by various boardmakers). It was HP who used mostly Asus boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

jerommeke

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2004
I have tried to find the "Thermal Monitoring" program, but Google only comes up with hardware solutions. Could you point me to the right place ?
Thanks.
I also tried HWiNFO32, but it doesn't find any sensors.

Jerommeke

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't see what I'm trying to point out: An Intel board is an Intel board, whether it's made by Asus, DFI, FIC, or even Foxconn. Asus actually DESIGNED many of the boards in HP's.

Intel even specifies parts: Did you see a capacitor failure issue plague a bunch of Intel boards? Intel's boards come with the parts Intel specifies, HP's Asus boards come with the parts Asus specifies.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>