That moment when you say "Doh!!"

So I'm painting this Fathom cabinet. All was looking pretty good. I did the
light blue on the head so I painted blue on the body right afterwards. Today
I went down and put green onto the sides of the body. That is when I fugured
it out..

Either the stencil set is right messed up or I am. The front of the body of
the cabinet has to be painted with light blue first and then the lime
highlights. But the sides have to have the lime go on first and then the
blue.

What I did was all one color and then the next, so the color on my cabinet
sides is actually reversed!
It took me until I was finished painting the entire side until I noticed it.

Doh!!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

The stencil set is wrong. I pointed this error out to Mark Clayton
recently - on the HEAD, the TEAL is painted first; on the BODY, the GREEN is
painted first. I painted green on the head first, then the body, and when I
went to line up the teal on the head -OOPS! Let him know, he'll take care of
you. They have since corrected the instructions, but like you there are
probably a few out there who do not know of this discrepancy.

....or, if I am reading this right, you did the RIGHT ORDER with the WRONG
PAINT - not sure.

Chris Munson

"Fantastic Pinball" <FantasticPinballNOSPAM@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
> So I'm painting this Fathom cabinet. All was looking pretty good. I did
> the light blue on the head so I painted blue on the body right afterwards.
> Today I went down and put green onto the sides of the body. That is when I
> fugured it out..
>
> Either the stencil set is right messed up or I am. The front of the body
> of the cabinet has to be painted with light blue first and then the lime
> highlights. But the sides have to have the lime go on first and then the
> blue.
>
> What I did was all one color and then the next, so the color on my cabinet
> sides is actually reversed!
> It took me until I was finished painting the entire side until I noticed
> it.
>
> Doh!!

Chris:

FYI, after we corrected the error in the instructions, we notified
everyone who had gotten Fathom stencils from us. The current instructions
say:

Fathom has a dark blue base coat with teal and green/yellow stencil colors. Fathom is unique that the two stencil colors for the
cabinet body and head are applied in reverse order. The base color for both is dark blue. The cabinet body’s first stencil color
is yellow/green and the second color is teal. The cabinet head’s first stencil color is teal and the second color is yellow/green.

This matches the original cabinet and head that we have on hand.

-Mark
--
http://pinballpal.com/

"Chris" <munsonjulieNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:AmsUe.4929$wk6.480@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com...
> The stencil set is wrong. I pointed this error out to Mark Clayton recently - on the HEAD, the TEAL is painted first; on the BODY,
> the GREEN is painted first. I painted green on the head first, then the body, and when I went to line up the teal on the
> head -OOPS! Let him know, he'll take care of you. They have since corrected the instructions, but like you there are probably a
> few out there who do not know of this discrepancy.
>
> ...or, if I am reading this right, you did the RIGHT ORDER with the WRONG PAINT - not sure.
>
> Chris Munson
>
> "Fantastic Pinball" <FantasticPinballNOSPAM@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
>> So I'm painting this Fathom cabinet. All was looking pretty good. I did the light blue on the head so I painted blue on the body
>> right afterwards. Today I went down and put green onto the sides of the body. That is when I fugured it out..
>>
>> Either the stencil set is right messed up or I am. The front of the body of the cabinet has to be painted with light blue first
>> and then the lime highlights. But the sides have to have the lime go on first and then the blue.
>>
>> What I did was all one color and then the next, so the color on my cabinet sides is actually reversed!
>> It took me until I was finished painting the entire side until I noticed it.
>>
>> Doh!!

Chris

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2003

Good move Mark!

Chris

"Mark Clayton" <spamuser1602@i87.com> wrote in message
> Chris:
>
> FYI, after we corrected the error in the instructions, we notified
> everyone who had gotten Fathom stencils from us. The current instructions
> say:
>
> Fathom has a dark blue base coat with teal and green/yellow stencil
> colors. Fathom is unique that the two stencil colors for the cabinet body
> and head are applied in reverse order. The base color for both is dark
> blue. The cabinet body's first stencil color is yellow/green and the
> second color is teal. The cabinet head's first stencil color is teal and
> the second color is yellow/green.
>
> This matches the original cabinet and head that we have on hand.
>
> -Mark
> --
> http://pinballpal.com/
>
> "Chris" <munsonjulieNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> The stencil set is wrong. I pointed this error out to Mark Clayton
>> recently - on the HEAD, the TEAL is painted first; on the BODY, the GREEN
>> is painted first. I painted green on the head first, then the body, and
>> when I went to line up the teal on the head -OOPS! Let him know, he'll
>> take care of you. They have since corrected the instructions, but like
>> you there are probably a few out there who do not know of this
>> discrepancy.
>>
>> ...or, if I am reading this right, you did the RIGHT ORDER with the WRONG
>> PAINT - not sure.
>>
>> Chris Munson
>>
>> "Fantastic Pinball" <FantasticPinballNOSPAM@NOSPAMmsn.com> wrote in
>> message news:8irUe.87821$Ph4.2784217@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca...
>>> So I'm painting this Fathom cabinet. All was looking pretty good. I did
>>> the light blue on the head so I painted blue on the body right
>>> afterwards. Today I went down and put green onto the sides of the body.
>>> That is when I fugured it out..
>>>
>>> Either the stencil set is right messed up or I am. The front of the body
>>> of the cabinet has to be painted with light blue first and then the
>>> lime highlights. But the sides have to have the lime go on first and
>>> then the blue.
>>>
>>> What I did was all one color and then the next, so the color on my
>>> cabinet sides is actually reversed!
>>> It took me until I was finished painting the entire side until I noticed
>>> it.
>>>
>>> Doh!!

Yeah, I'm not pointing a finger at Mark Clayton for this. This mistake was
all mine.
Mark sent me an email about the stencils but I misread it. I thought he said
the head was mislabled or something like that.
I had put my stencil set onto a sheet of rigid poly and cut it out of that.
This allows me to easily apply and remove the stencil. It also makes it
reusable, which is going to come in real handy later today..

Greg