TECH: TAF to TAFG knocker connection difference

A post to the group for future reference. When switching to TAFG ROMs from
the regular edition TAF ROMs, the knocker wire (violet-red) that is
connected to J-130-2 needs to be relocated to J-132-2. I discovered this
tonight after doing the ROM conversion.

- Steve B.
5 answers Last reply
More about tech tafg knocker connection difference

    J130-2 and J132-2 should be the same circuit, the knocker should work
    on either header. There could be something up with your cable, board or
    connector.

    Yes. On teh schematic, J130 is for the playfield. J132 is designated as
    backbox, and J131 the cabinet. technically, the TAFG manual is correct.
    J131 and J132 share the circuits with J130. TAF doesn't use most of the
    J130 circuits, so you can use J130 or J132 for the knocker.

    Put another way, J130 pin 2 and J132 pin 2 are supposed to be wired
    together on the WPC driver board.

    But this is pinball and strange things do happen.

    This is odd, I've known plenty of folks to make this conversion and never
    have to make that change.

    J130 and J132 are tied together by traces on the board - meaning J130-2 and
    J132-2 are the same.

    I've found enough errors in the factory manuals of pins to make your head
    spin!

    I'm guessing you have/had a loose or intermittent connection, and unplugging
    and replugging it made the difference. You should be able to put your DMM on
    continuity test with the game uplugged and verify the 2 pins are tied
    together. I guess there's a chance the J132-2 pin has a cold solder joint
    and isn't making a connection.

    Regardless, it works :)

    --
    http://www.myhomegameroom.com

    "Steve B." <flippers*no*spam*@sashimi.org> wrote in message
    >A post to the group for future reference. When switching to TAFG ROMs from
    >the regular edition TAF ROMs, the knocker wire (violet-red) that is
    >connected to J-130-2 needs to be relocated to J-132-2. I discovered this
    >tonight after doing the ROM conversion.
    >
    > - Steve B.

    Are you sure about that?

    The TAFG manual shows the correct connection is 132-2 while the TAF manual
    shows the correct connection is J-130-2. Why would they have bothered to
    make this change if it would have worked without making the change?

    Here's how I found this out. When I bought the game the knocker didn't
    work. The game had L-2 TAF ROMS in it and the knocker was connected to
    J-132-2. I checked the manual and moved it to J-130-2 per the manual and it
    worked fine. Then I upgraded to TAFG LX-3 ROMS. The knocker didn't work so
    I checked the TAFG manual and moved it back to J-132-2 per the TAFG manual
    and it works fine.

    - Steve B.

    "martin" <martin.reynolds@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > J130-2 and J132-2 should be the same circuit, the knocker should work
    > on either header. There could be something up with your cable, board or
    > connector.

    Yes, it does work, with no problem there! And a BIG thank you too to J.W.
    for the TAFG ROM set which arrived yesterday, very nicely packed. Thanks
    again!

    - Steve B.

    "John Wart, jr" <johnwartjr@johnwartjr.com> wrote in message
    > This is odd, I've known plenty of folks to make this conversion and never
    > have to make that change.
    >
    > J130 and J132 are tied together by traces on the board - meaning J130-2
    > and J132-2 are the same.
    >
    > I've found enough errors in the factory manuals of pins to make your head
    > spin!
    >
    > I'm guessing you have/had a loose or intermittent connection, and
    > unplugging and replugging it made the difference. You should be able to
    > put your DMM on continuity test with the game uplugged and verify the 2
    > pins are tied together. I guess there's a chance the J132-2 pin has a cold
    > solder joint and isn't making a connection.
    >
    > Regardless, it works :)
    >

    > --
    > http://www.myhomegameroom.com
    >

    > "Steve B." <flippers*no*spam*@sashimi.org> wrote in message
    >>A post to the group for future reference. When switching to TAFG ROMs
    >>from the regular edition TAF ROMs, the knocker wire (violet-red) that is
    >>connected to J-130-2 needs to be relocated to J-132-2. I discovered this
    >>tonight after doing the ROM conversion.
    >>
    >> - Steve B.

Connection Games Video Games