HP ZR2440w - flaky power or just plain dead?

DriesV

Honorable
May 31, 2012
Hi,

I' m having problems with my HP ZR2440w monitor.

It started about 3 weeks ago by sporadically going blank for 2 seconds and than returning back to normal.
This past week it had started to not display anything when I boot my PC. It's not my graphics card, because I have a dual monitor setup and that second monitor is fine (even using the ZR2440w outputs). Strangely -sometimes- it would suddenly start working again. Until I shut down my PC and find myself in the same dreaded situation when I boot a while later. The power button on the bezel would also not work: no OSD, no power LED, no looking for signals... The power LED would blink when I switch the monitor OFF (main power switch).

Since Sunday evening it seems to be completely dead. No display, no LED, nothing...

*Has anyone else had similar problems with an HP ZR2440w monitor or another display?
*Could it be that the internal PSU is at fault?
*Switching a monitor on should give SOME sign of life (signal warning, input detection, LED, blank screen...), right?

greetings,
Dries

finkgab

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
The power button on the bezel would also not work: no OSD, no power LED, no looking for signals... The power LED would blink when I switch the monitor OFF (main power switch).

Hi, I'm having the exact same problem since last night. The only difference is that my monitor didn't have any problem before, it just stopped working all of a sudden after turning my computer off.

*Switching a monitor on should give SOME sign of life (signal warning, input detection, LED, blank screen...), right?

Yes, if I switched my screen on, while my computer was off, it would begin to search for a signal and the blue led would go on.

EDIT:
I must add I've only had this screen for less than a month, I have no idea what could be wrong.

DriesV

Honorable
May 31, 2012
I should say that I use an energy saving timer switch that switches off all of my home office equipment.

I was able to get my monitor working again.
I found that -when it isn't working and the power button doesn't do anything- disconnecting all display connectors (DVI & DP) and then switching the monitor on again, does power it back on. If I then reconnect all connectors, it keeps working.
This happens about 9/10 times. That 1/10th time it still doesn't work. Also, when I do get it to work and switch everything off again after I'm done working, 9/10 times the monitor doesn't power on when I switch my equipment on a couple hours later. Going through the same routine of disconnecting display cables has a chance of being able to revive my monitor again.

Maybe I'm just imagining that disconnecting the display cables makes a difference, but quite frankly I'm puzzled by the erratic and totally unpredictable behaviour of this monitor.

It's not totally defective, because it still displays... sort of... If I can get it to power on. I will return my monitor tomorrow. I hope the guys in the store will be able to reproduce the problems that I'm having with this monitor.
I think it has to do with a combination of:
*routinely completely powering off by switch
*DVI and DP input
*time interval between working sessions
I fear that they might dismiss my complaint when they find it working right away, because this too happened to me today!... Until I power off and try again after an hour or so to find it... not working again. Very strange stuff.

Dries

Djibrille

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi,
I know it's an old post and I apologize but maybe my post will still be useful to someone.
My HP ZR2440w started to exhibit some of the problems I read about here. It shuts off for a fraction of a second than turns back on. Blink and you missed it. But I am sure it's not my imagination because it also takes a lot of time waking up, sometimes it acts like it will not turn on at all.
What I wanted to say here is I've had the same problem before with a Samsung. It started doing the blinking stuff more and more often until some day it would not turn on at all. It turned out to be a simple fix, changing a few capacitors on the power board inside the thing. After that it was as new and it still currently works with a friend's computer.
So, I think I'm going to pop the HP open and take a look at the caps. I found a disassembly guide and it seems to be a strait forward job.

If anyone is still interested I will post the result of my investigation here. I hope I don't forget to take pictures.

bojkic

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Mine exhibits same problems , won't turn on, however it sometimes does, then it shows power button lockout message and dies again. Tried to turn off "power button lockout" by holding power button for 10 - 60 sec, but it doesn't help...

Shun Kaido

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
I have experienced the same problem during last month with my 5 years old ZR2440w. Surprisingly enough solution came from resetting the monitor to factory defaults. Hope it'll help someone