HotSync / Mac question - please help

January 1, 2005 9:12:39 PM

I'm using a G4 running OS 9.2 and a Tungsten T with HotSync USB cradle.

Just recently I started having trouble hotsyncing without making and
intentional changes to my software or computer.

When I press the hotsync nothing happens.

When I try to double click on the hotsync icon in the Plam folder I get a
message: "The application "HotSync Manager" has unexpectedly quit, because
an error of type 2 occurred.

I uninstalled the palm software with the installer and reinstalled the
software (Palm Desktop 4.2.1, HotSync Manager 3.2). No change.

Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
appreciated.

More about : hotsync mac question

Anonymous
January 1, 2005 9:12:40 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:12:39 GMT, David Sherman
<possible20@possible20.org> wrote:

>I'm using a G4 running OS 9.2 and a Tungsten T with HotSync USB cradle.
>
>Just recently I started having trouble hotsyncing without making and
>intentional changes to my software or computer.
>
>When I press the hotsync nothing happens.
>
>When I try to double click on the hotsync icon in the Plam folder I get a
>message: "The application "HotSync Manager" has unexpectedly quit, because
>an error of type 2 occurred.
>
>I uninstalled the palm software with the installer and reinstalled the
>software (Palm Desktop 4.2.1, HotSync Manager 3.2). No change.
>
>Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
>appreciated.

This may not be the problem, but, if you have not already tried this,
do a soft reset on the Handheld. Possibly the problem with the Desktop
software.. Won't hurt to try.

Types of Resets:

http://www.tankerbob.com/palm/resets.htm
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 9:12:40 PM

David Sherman wrote:

> Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
> appreciated.

I have often had to do a soft reset on my Tungsten E to get it to
HotSync with my Mac using OS 9.1. Occasionally I have had to Restart
the Mac.

With OS X 10.3.x it has always worked perfectly.

Greg
January 1, 2005 9:12:41 PM

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:23:02 -0800, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 18:12:39 GMT, David Sherman
><possible20@possible20.org> wrote:
>
>>I'm using a G4 running OS 9.2 and a Tungsten T with HotSync USB cradle.
>>
>>Just recently I started having trouble hotsyncing without making and
>>intentional changes to my software or computer.
>>
>>When I press the hotsync nothing happens.
>>
>>When I try to double click on the hotsync icon in the Plam folder I get a
>>message: "The application "HotSync Manager" has unexpectedly quit, because
>>an error of type 2 occurred.
>>
>>I uninstalled the palm software with the installer and reinstalled the
>>software (Palm Desktop 4.2.1, HotSync Manager 3.2). No change.
>>
>>Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
>>appreciated.
>
>This may not be the problem, but, if you have not already tried this,
>do a soft reset on the Handheld. Possibly the problem with the Desktop
>software.. Won't hurt to try.

Meant to say: "Possibly the problem is NOT with the Desktop Software."

>Types of Resets:
>
>http://www.tankerbob.com/palm/resets.htm
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 11:16:42 PM

krewl & pailface88:

thanks for your replies.

A soft reset didn't do anything.

One to step two -- any idea what that might be?

Thanks again,
David

> I'm using a G4 running OS 9.2 and a Tungsten T with HotSync USB cradle.
>
> Just recently I started having trouble hotsyncing without making and
> intentional changes to my software or computer.
>
> When I press the hotsync nothing happens.
>
> When I try to double click on the hotsync icon in the Plam folder I get a
> message: "The application "HotSync Manager" has unexpectedly quit, because
> an error of type 2 occurred.
>
> I uninstalled the palm software with the installer and reinstalled the
> software (Palm Desktop 4.2.1, HotSync Manager 3.2). No change.
>
> Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
> appreciated.

Anonymous
January 3, 2005 5:29:29 PM

David Sherman <possible20@possible20.org> wrote:
> A soft reset didn't do anything.
>
> One to step two -- any idea what that might be?
>
> > I uninstalled the palm software with the installer and reinstalled the
> > software (Palm Desktop 4.2.1, HotSync Manager 3.2). No change.
> >
> > Any suggestions on how to get back my HotSync function back would be
> > appreciated.

Sounds like you haven't tried deleting the Palm Hotsync preferences on
the Mac yet. There might be something in the System Folder:p references
folder labelled Palm, or Hotsync, or something like that. I haven't used
OS9 for ages, so I can't remember if there even are preferences there.

The other thing that could be wrong is that the user data file is
corrupt & the Palm Desktop is quitting everytime it opens this corrupt
file. Try moving the user folder somewhere else so that the Palm Desktop
can't find it, then start up Palm Desktop. If it doesn't quit, there's
your problem. You'll have to re-hotsync to recreate the user data file
on the Mac.

Kwan.

--
Please remove SpamMeNot to reply. I apologise for the necessary use
of this anti-spammation method.

I have the same problem, though on Mac OS 10.

Try to get (an evaluation version) of "Card Export" onto your Palm,
either via another computer that will still hotsync or via a cardreader
for SD cards (put into directory palm/launcher so it shows up on your
Palm.

Now, start cardexport: I assume, a drive will pop up on your Mac,
verifying that the USB connection between Palm and Mac work as such.

If this is the case, I'm afraid you might be in for a hardreset with
potential loss of data, so perform a backup onto memory card first
(using e.g. Backup Buddy VFS by blue Nomad, the freewareversion should
do the job you need now).

Perform hardreset by pressing resetbutton and holding power on down at
the same time. Answer yes to the deletion of all data, sorry 'bout that.

Now, with the Palm "starknaked", try another hotsync. If now the Mac
Hotsync asks for the selection of the Username in the dropdown menu,
then one of the settings or applications on the Palm was causing this
effect.

Then, you either try to install one piece of data back to your Palm
after another, or, like me, don't bother to hotsync the Palm and the Mac
any more and use the PC instead. For mysterious reasons, the offensive
data on my Palm just prevent the Mac from hotsyncing, my Win XP still
hotsyncs. So, I don't go into lenghty troubleshooting as to which
database or application on the Palm it is that my Mac doesn't like...
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:58:34 AM

Thomas Mey wrote on 1/3/05 12:50 PM:

> [....]