Windows System Error

Hi. I have encountered a problem with a couple of PC's I've been given to fix. They won't boot and display the error 'file windows/system is corrupt' If I reinstall Windows it works fine for a while then after a week or so bang - the same problem. I've swopped out the main components - memory, mainboard graphics etc but this keeps comin back. Anyone any thoughts what the main cause of this might be? You can get all my contact details at www.barrada.co.uk thx Paul
7 answers Last reply
More about windows system error
  1. Probably the wrong forum. Your hard drives seem faulty or the ide controller may be at fault. That'd be a good start.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
    Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>
  2. Or he's using VIA chipset boards, you'd be amazed at how many times a simple configuration issue makes their hard drive controllers go loopy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  3. Run memtest86. If it fails, up the v-dimm.
    Have you enabled hdd smart check in bios?
  4. Smartcheck isn't enabled - would that help it?
  5. Crashman - I am using VIA chipsets on Socket A boards - one Asus and the other Gigabyte. What alternative do you recommend is better?
    thx

www.barrada.co.uk
  6. Nothing from VIA surprises me, that's due to the fact I avoid them at all costs.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
    Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
  7. Quote:
    Nothing from VIA surprises me, that's due to the fact I avoid them at all costs.

Same here, and that's due to the fact that I've had the misfortune of having a VIA mobo on my work PC a few years back. :(

What really sucked about that was that three years later when my monitor died I was able to dig up the invoice (to find the purchase date and see if it was still under warranty or not) and it turned out that my company <i>had</i> ordered me the 440BX that I had requested after all. And it had been the OEM that we had ordered from that had screwed me with that VIA POS. :O All that time I had just thought that my company hadn't listened to me.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
    Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs System Error