Sign in with
Your question

Windows System Error

Last response: in CPUs
January 19, 2005 11:33:16 PM

Hi. I have encountered a problem with a couple of PC's I've been given to fix. They won't boot and display the error 'file windows/system is corrupt' If I reinstall Windows it works fine for a while then after a week or so bang - the same problem. I've swopped out the main components - memory, mainboard graphics etc but this keeps comin back. Anyone any thoughts what the main cause of this might be? You can get all my contact details at www.barrada.co.uk thx Paul

More about : windows system error

January 19, 2005 11:49:48 PM

Probably the wrong forum. Your hard drives seem faulty or the ide controller may be at fault. That'd be a good start.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>
a b à CPUs
January 20, 2005 2:31:13 AM

Or he's using VIA chipset boards, you'd be amazed at how many times a simple configuration issue makes their hard drive controllers go loopy.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
January 20, 2005 4:29:25 AM

Run memtest86. If it fails, up the v-dimm.
Have you enabled hdd smart check in bios?
January 20, 2005 8:39:26 AM

Smartcheck isn't enabled - would that help it?
January 20, 2005 8:47:41 AM

Crashman - I am using VIA chipsets on Socket A boards - one Asus and the other Gigabyte. What alternative do you recommend is better?
thx

www.barrada.co.uk
January 20, 2005 4:52:58 PM

Nothing from VIA surprises me, that's due to the fact I avoid them at all costs.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
January 20, 2005 6:04:10 PM

Quote:
Nothing from VIA surprises me, that's due to the fact I avoid them at all costs.

Same here, and that's due to the fact that I've had the misfortune of having a VIA mobo on my work PC a few years back. :( 

What really sucked about that was that three years later when my monitor died I was able to dig up the invoice (to find the purchase date and see if it was still under warranty or not) and it turned out that my company <i>had</i> ordered me the 440BX that I had requested after all. And it had been the OEM that we had ordered from that had screwed me with that VIA POS. :o  All that time I had just thought that my company hadn't listened to me.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
!