Thermal Compounds and 939/AMD64

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
I am putting together myb brother's system. The HSF (stock) has a thermal pad on it--I have never used one of these before.

Is this adequate? Or should I remove the pad and use AS5? (The AMD site only recommends paste for short term use and not with a pad... any thoughts?) Pretty basic questions, but wanted to check.

Btw, the chip is a 3200+ (90n) and we may OC (max most likely 2.4GHz up from stock 2.0GHz). I have read about a lot of people hitting 2.5GHz and 2.6GHz on stock cooling, but am curious if the AS5 will help or if it is not worth the bother (the chips seem to run pretty cool). Thanks for your time :)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Acert93 on 01/19/05 09:54 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
I removed the thermal pad on my A64 and replaced it with AS5. I guess that the thermal pad would have benn ok, but the AS5 make the HSF easier to remove as the pad become dry and sticky

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

endyen

Splendid
Use the pad, at least for a little while. Amd's warranty requires it. Since you should run it for a little while with the pad, why not check it out, and see how well it works.

Acert93

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Thanks for the advice guys :) endyen, good point about the warranty! I am going to do that first and see how I like it!

Thanks again guys! :)