Ebay shipping charges. Give me your thoughts.

Last response: in Video Games
September 10, 2005 2:57:12 AM

I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
there.

I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
gamble.

As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:12:14 AM

That's not out of line at all. List it as flat shipping charges. They
can't bitch about that. Without a scale it's sometimes hard to
calculate what shipping is going to be, but I'm usually close within a
couple of bucks. Sometimes give, sometimes take.

2 bucks isn't gouging. The buyer should know this before bidding.

L.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 3:26:39 AM

Good point.
That's using the envelope. What about the box? Envelopes don't offer
much protection. That's why I don't use them. The cheapest box I have
shipped was $4.85. It's the little flat box. Flat rate box is $7.+ a
few cents but they are not long enough for some pinball parts. If I
use the envelope and the plastic parts get broken we all lose. Then I
run the possibility of getting a negative feedback for "poor packing".
That is why I referred to "buyer's risk". I have no problem putting
your parts in a $3 envelope as long as you don't blame me for handling
damage. Even though my conscience will drive me nuts.

I have a friend at the Post Office who has showed me what happens to
those envelopes. I had nightmares of sending fragile Gottlieb pop
bumper caps in those. He sternly warned me against this practice for
plastic parts.

To confirm another topic well covered here he told me, "NEVER BUY THE
INSURANCE". Rarely does anyone get thier money and if they do the
supervisor catches hell. If you must buy the insurance don't buy the
delivery confirmation. The insurance number can be used to track the
package.

Mario
Pinthetic
Related resources
September 10, 2005 3:53:51 AM

I don't care if you stated $100 shipping cost.
if they don't like it, they don't have to bid.
buyers are always trying to be cheap skates, over a couple of bucks.

"can you ship it my way instead, etc.. etc.."
screw them, it's your auction.

Troy,

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
> there.
>
> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
> gamble.
>
> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 5:10:23 AM

If they think the shipping is too high, and it
is stated in the auction, they shouldn't bid!

Not a problem for me.

Tell them to bid elsewhere, or just go buy them!

--
Fred
TX

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1126331832.104358.50320@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
> there.
>
> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
> gamble.
>
> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 5:31:08 AM

Mario,

Did you state your s/h fees up front? If so, when a person doesn't agree
with them, they don't have to bid. Period. Their bid means they agree to
your policies.

6 drop targets should weigh less than 1 pound, which would be $3.85
priority, tack on 35 cents for delivery confirmation if needed. I can see on
one hand where someone might question your charging 8 bucks, but again, if
stated up front, they have no right to complain if they bid on the auction.

I ship a lot of stuff through the USPS, via ebay and other sales. Here's
some advice that I hope can help, might even save you some time!

Grab a cheap postal scale somewhere. I've seen low end scales that are
accurate enough in the $10-15 range. I know, low volume, but you can do a
lot of your mailing from home and not have to go to the post office in many
cases. At $3 for a gallon of gas, the scale will pay for itself quickly.

Register for a free account at usps.com - then, you can request some free
boxes from usps.com - no need to pay for boxes anymore for most sales. I use
a lot of the ones that are VHS video tape size for small goodies like drop
targets etc. They will even let you print your own labels online! You can
print on labels or on paper and tape it to the box. If you print through
USPS.com (or eBay/PayPal integrated), the delivery confirmation is free.
That's a 35 cent savings per item.

Small packages such as this can be dropped in any mail box or handed to your
letter carrier, and there is no need to go to the customer counter and wait
in line.

This stuff is pretty straightforward to me because I sell a lot on eBay and
other places - USPS does make it pretty easy on all of us.

--
http://www.myhomegameroom.com

<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
> there.
>
> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
> gamble.
>
> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 6:55:37 AM

When I've mailed using priority mail I've sent boxes for $3.85 all the
time. 28 mile round trip to the post office I gather you live in a
rural area. Maybe that has something to do with it..

As for your shipping charges when I bid on ebay I ALWAYS take the
shipping charges into consideration when bidding. So, if the seller has
high shipping, my bids tend to be lower. As long as you point out the
charges in the auction their shouldn't be any problems and charge what
you advertised. And when I sell on ebay, I weigh the product first and
list the weight so their aren't any questions about shipping.

You'd be better off buying a postal scale at a office supply store so
in the future you won't ever undercharge or overcharge for shipping.
Just my .02 worth.

Chas
September 10, 2005 9:35:38 AM

in general, if I list something on ebay, i figure all my costs and load them
into the shipping charges. this way if the thing doesn't sell for much at
least i don't get screwed on the ebay listing and percentage fees.

most sellers do this, it's a no brainer.

--
billb
Anonymous

$2.00 is not "unreasonable".
I started selling on ebay in 1999. I made it a point to only charge
"actual shipping charges". After about 4 years, I had to start charging
a little more to compensate for ebay pricing increases and the credit
card fees..
Thus far no complaints.
On the other side of the coin...
The only time I have a concern when buying is if someone charges me
$9.00 and sends it in an unappropriate padded envelope for .97 !

Just my .97 cents worth :)
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:12:48 AM

Priority Mail is not $6.00. It's more like $3.00 for up to 1 lb envelope
last I used it.
<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
> there.
>
> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
> gamble.
>
> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:12:49 AM

Priority is $3.85 for the first pound.

Has been for at least a couple years.

--

"Pinball Poor" <res0w1j7@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Priority Mail is not $6.00. It's more like $3.00 for up to 1 lb envelope
> last I used it.
> <Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
>> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
>> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
>> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
>> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
>> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
>> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
>> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
>> there.
>>
>> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
>> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
>> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
>> gamble.
>>
>> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
>> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>>
>> Mario
>> Pinthetic

September 10, 2005 10:13:57 AM

I forget who it was, maybe a guy named Chez? that had a flat shipping rate
and incurred the ire of some on rgp. My opinion is that if the rate seems
reasonable, is clearly listed in the auction details, they have no real
complaint. The complaint part I would wager comes about when you stick it
in free USPS priority packaging, and it goes at the minimum rate of 2.90.
People forget that it is S&H, and only look at the shipping costs.

Let them rant

frog
<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
> listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
> on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
> and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
> The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
> Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
> there.
>
> I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
> version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
> little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
> gamble.
>
> As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
> your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

September 10, 2005 5:23:20 PM

My number one and overriding rule on shipping charges for Ebay auctions is:

It is irrelevant.

It is part of the final price of the item. Doesn't matter if I put it at
1000 dollars or Free. In the end, the bidders have to read the auction and
bid accordingly. No bitching during or after the auction. If you have a
problem with the shipping--don't bid on my auction and please go away. For
me, it is absolutely not worth it to deal with the complaining.

The cost of the shipping will directly determine the final value.

It all ends up being the same.

With that said, I have found that a floating shipping fee works better than
a flat rate--especially for packages. Envelopes are a bit different. I
measure and weigh the item packaged, add a little fudge on the weight, add
in my packaging and handling cost, then I select Ups ground for most items.
It is the most expensive ground service and comes with insurance and a
tracking number. I often use a different carrier but provide the same level
of service.

The reason I like a floating shipping fee which adjusts based on
distance/location of the buyer is geography directly effects the cost. I
prefer not to subsidize distance. That's my choice. Others may prefer to
subsidize the long shipment to generate additional action. My experience has
been that on long shipments at flat rates you can end up with a situation
where it would have been better to put the item out with the garbage.

I also allow locals to pickup with no shipping charge. Makes it easier for
me and gives them a competitive bidding advantage.

On the other side of the fence, the first question I have to answer for
myself before I bid is--What is the shipping? It has a direct impact on the
bid. I can not bid intelligently without that question answered. I don't
care if the shipping figure is high or low or free. Doesn't matter to me.
The only thing that matters is the final value plus the shipping cost. You
set the shipping high, I have a lower maximum bid. That's fine with me. You
set the shipping free, I set my maiximm bid higher. The final outcome
doesn't change but as a buyer, you have to know the shipping and it is fair
to ask and receive a firm shipping quote or a number specified in the
auction.

For all those that like to bitch about shipping charges---- read the
auction, know your shipping, and bid accordingly. And quit bitching about
the shipping.

Otto

CARGPB11

September 10, 2005 5:41:48 PM

the shipping costs is clearly stated. Learn from your mistakes.. read
the entire auction from top to bottom next time :)

Chas
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 6:02:44 PM

A big part of this is the value of the item, like it or not. If you
buy an item for ,say, $200 and the seller charges you $20 for S&H even
though it only costs $6, you usually don't complain. However, if the
item is only $25 and the seller charges the same you feel ripped off.
I thing the keyword here is "reasonable" S&H, even if you state it in
the auction listing. A ripoff is a ripoff
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 7:11:38 PM

Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

> I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
> minor wrath of a few folks.

If you have the shipping charge listed in the auction, I don't think
anyone should bitch. As others have said, if they don't like it, they
should bid lower. When I was selling flyers on ebay few couple of years
ago, I would charge $5 or so, while most people were charging a buck or
two. The difference was that I was sending them priority, double boxed
with delivery confirmation while others were sticking them in an
envelope with a piece of cardboard. When I make trades, I still ship
them the same way, because I want them to end up at their destination
the same way they left me. Whenever I get something which is poorly
packed and arrives damaged, I'm always so disappointed. Not just because
it's a hassle I've got to deal with, but often the item is difficult or
not replaceable. I just don't understand why anyone would want anyone to
scrimp on shipping.

Serg
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 9:11:38 PM

I've gone through this with the Arcade PCB's I've shipped lately. I
bought new boxes, new anti-static foam, and new tape to ship these in
to guarantee these ship well. I charge $15 for domestic shipping on
these auctions, flat rate. Most postage works out to $8-9, $3 for the
box, $1 for the foam/tape, and the remaining $2 or so for my time.
Seems perfectly reasonable to me, and most of the buyers, but there
are always some that just like to email and haggle/whine. I've gotten
less nice responding to those because they're SO annoying. Don't like
the shipping? Don't bid.

My advice? Ignore them.

On 9 Sep 2005 22:57:12 -0700, Pinthetic@gmail.com wrote:

>I started selling off parts on E-Bay recently and have acquired the
>minor wrath of a few folks. Well, just one for sure. One of my
>listings is in question. Six NOS drop targets. I put an $8 S & H fee
>on this lot. My reasoning is this. It's about $6 for priority mail
>and .35 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is about, what, 60 cents?
> Packaging isn't free or either is tape.
>The Post Office is about a 28 mile round trip. Gas is over $3 now.
>Top it off it's NOS parts, and not cheap reproductions I am putting out
>there.
>
>I offer cheap shipping on request, at the buyers risk, via snail
>version mail, and cheaper packaging with no tracking. That runs only a
>little less in some cases. With feedback what it is, that can be a
>gamble.
>
>As a shipper, am I out of line? If so, how about a little comment on
>your shipping practices. Keep in mind this is not high volume.
>
>Mario
>Pinthetic
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:13:39 PM

Just a quick post to say I appreciate all the great responses. I know
that I'm not the only one getting a feel for the attitude towards
shipping fees.

I did eat $7 postage on a package to Australia because of a bum steer
from the post office. The item sold for I think $16. I charged $15
for global priority mail, as the post office quoted me. When I got
there the charge was $22. I mailed it anyway and contacted the buyer
to explain the situation. I left it up to the buyer to either paypal
me the $7 or I would just eat it. So it goes both ways. Make a buck on
a few and then pay $7 back on one.

The method I am using of flat fees for good packaging seems to be the
best.

Mario
Pinthetic
Anonymous
September 10, 2005 10:15:57 PM

If the shipping charges were stated in the auction, don't worry about it.

You're correct in the fact that tape, packing materials, boxes and most of
all you time isn't free.

I clearly state the shipping fee in my auction. Sometimes I over estimated
it. Sometimes I under estimate it and just eat the difference.

I clearly state the shipping fee in my auctions. If someone bids and wins
this item, they are expected to pay the amount shown. This isn't "lets make
a deal"! You gotta love the "Walmart" crowd that have never owned a retail
business in their life and don't have a clue what "overhead" is. When you
bid and win an auction you are bound by the terms stated in the auction.

I rarely have a problem with this. The last one was with a deadbeat from
RGVAC over a $10 board. The auction CLEARLY stated $20.00 UPS insured
shipping. Yes, that's way high for shipping but I don't like shipping these
and if I can't be compensated for my time and materials then it's cheaper to
just throw it in the trash. I'm sure the bidding was lower because of the
shipping charges so this guy got a deal. I sold 10 other boards with no
complaints but this guy just ranted and raved and finally said he didn't
want it. Of course I'm stuck with the cost of the auction and my time. The
deadbeat gets kicked off of Ebay before I can leave him feedback.

In summary, don't worry about it...............

Mike
September 10, 2005 10:59:40 PM

I disagree. What if the item had a value of a 100 bucks? You still get it
for 50 bucks. And no sales tax.

The cost of the shipping directly effects the final auction value.

If the seller sets the shipping high, then the final bid will be low. Vice
versa.

If you are bidding without knowing the shipping cost, you are negligent.
When it comes to auctions, the shipping cost includes things like time,
handling, packing materials, auction set up, time, transportation to the
shipper, handling, time etc.

Before you bid--know the shipping. It's real easy.

If the seller will not disclose the shipping to your location, don't bid.
It's real easy.

The other exercise you might consider--sell some stuff on Ebay. The issues
become crystal clear.

I am a big believer in the idea that to really learn about a given
transaction, you need to experience both sides of the transaction. Goes for
pins, houses, cars, garage sale stuff, insurance, investments, stocks,
bonds, auctions, whatever.

Hth.

Otto

CARGPB11

"llabrevlis" <llabrevlis@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>However, if the
> item is only $25 and the seller charges the same you feel ripped off.
> I thing the keyword here is "reasonable" S&H, even if you state it in
> the auction listing. A ripoff is a ripoff

September 11, 2005 12:01:31 AM

yeah hang in there.
most of the people are good, but you always get a few bad apples in the
bunch.

> Just a quick post to say I appreciate all the great responses. I know
> that I'm not the only one getting a feel for the attitude towards
> shipping fees.
>
> I did eat $7 postage on a package to Australia because of a bum steer
> from the post office. The item sold for I think $16. I charged $15
> for global priority mail, as the post office quoted me. When I got
> there the charge was $22. I mailed it anyway and contacted the buyer
> to explain the situation. I left it up to the buyer to either paypal
> me the $7 or I would just eat it. So it goes both ways. Make a buck on
> a few and then pay $7 back on one.
>
> The method I am using of flat fees for good packaging seems to be the
> best.
>
> Mario
> Pinthetic

September 11, 2005 12:32:27 AM

Bottom line, its your auction. If you want to price shipping at that,
go ahead. If people think your ripping them off, then they can choose
not to bid. I always have a flat rate for PCB's but all others, they
get estimates before hand. Then i add a flat $3 to cover, gas, packing
and my time. To me , thats fair. If others disagree, thats their
choice and they are free not to buy my item(s). same for me, if I dont
like someones price, I wont buy. Very very simple. My time is not
free, but then I am not going to rip them off either.

Mike
Anonymous
September 11, 2005 10:01:39 AM

When you go shopping, ask them if they have any extra boxes they're
going to throw out. I usually keep a few small boxes in the basment,
then if I sell something on Ebay I can pop it in a box and ship it book
rate or 1st class depending on what I'm selling. There's also a $3.85
Priority box that a lot small items like video games, books, etc. will
fit in. With almost any item, you'll save shipping costs throwing it
in your own box and shipping it first class with insurance and delivery
confirmation. The less you are charging for shipping, the higher your
item will sell for, so unless you are pocketing a percentage of your
shipping fees, you should want the lowest shipping possible.

Always ship books 4th class book rate. It's dirt cheap and I've never
had a package take any longer than first class or Priority to get where
it's going.
!