  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
October 29, 2004 9:20:31 PM

I play spades on the zone using Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.1.1) on a Mac
(OSX 10.3.5) running windows 2000 pro.

I have successfully done this for quite some time.

However, when I logged on to the zone 2 nights ago, the zone attempted
to install some updates. Immediately after this, I can no longer
connect to the zone - I get incomplete zone installation error messages.

The problem is NOT with my machine. I have not only reinstalled virtual
pc on my mac, but I have installed it on other macs - all experience
the same issues.

So, apparently, something was changed in the zone files that makes them
incompatible with Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac.

Any thoughts about how to solve this?

Thanks.

More about : microsoft virtual problem zone

Anonymous
October 30, 2004 9:29:52 PM

Bean wrote:

> I play spades on the zone using Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.1.1) on a Mac
> (OSX 10.3.5) running windows 2000 pro.
>
> I have successfully done this for quite some time.
>
> However, when I logged on to the zone 2 nights ago, the zone attempted
> to install some updates. Immediately after this, I can no longer
> connect to the zone - I get incomplete zone installation error messages.
>
> The problem is NOT with my machine. I have not only reinstalled virtual
> pc on my mac, but I have installed it on other macs - all experience
> the same issues.
>
> So, apparently, something was changed in the zone files that makes them
> incompatible with Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac.
>
> Any thoughts about how to solve this?
>
> Thanks.

Here are some thoughts:

Are you using an administrator account? If so, the registry may not
have been updated properly during some changes.

Make sure no firewall is blocking the new versions of Zone.exe, and
Zclient.exe from access.

Look in Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
button, and make sure none of the Zone or Heartbeat components are
damaged.

--

+Elmo_Tech
October 30, 2004 10:34:13 PM

On 2004-10-30 17:29:52 -0400, +Elmo_Tech <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> said:

> Bean wrote:
>>
>> I play spades on the zone using Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.1.1) on a Mac
>> (OSX 10.3.5) running windows 2000 pro.
>>
>> I have successfully done this for quite some time.
>>
>> However, when I logged on to the zone 2 nights ago, the zone attempted
>> to install some updates. Immediately after this, I can no longer
>> connect to the zone - I get incomplete zone installation error messages.
>>
>> The problem is NOT with my machine. I have not only reinstalled virtual
>> pc on my mac, but I have installed it on other macs - all experience
>> the same issues.
>>
>> So, apparently, something was changed in the zone files that makes them
>> incompatible with Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac.
>>
>> Any thoughts about how to solve this?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Here are some thoughts:
>
> Are you using an administrator account? If so, the registry may not
> have been updated properly during some changes.
>
> Make sure no firewall is blocking the new versions of Zone.exe, and
> Zclient.exe from access.
>
> Look in Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
> button, and make sure none of the Zone or Heartbeat components are
> damaged.

This all should be ok. I am using an admin account, but again, I
experience the same issue with fresh clean installs.

One more interesting thing - I also now have trouble running Windows
Update, with similar symptoms.

Very weird. Very, very frustrating...
October 31, 2004 12:56:59 PM

Bean wrote:

> On 2004-10-30 17:29:52 -0400, +Elmo_Tech <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> said:
>
> > Bean wrote:
> >>
> >> I play spades on the zone using Microsoft Virtual PC (v6.1.1) on a Mac
> >> (OSX 10.3.5) running windows 2000 pro.
> >>
> >> I have successfully done this for quite some time.
> >>
> >> However, when I logged on to the zone 2 nights ago, the zone attempted
> >> to install some updates. Immediately after this, I can no longer
> >> connect to the zone - I get incomplete zone installation error messages.
> >>
> >> The problem is NOT with my machine. I have not only reinstalled virtual
> >> pc on my mac, but I have installed it on other macs - all experience
> >> the same issues.
> >>
> >> So, apparently, something was changed in the zone files that makes them
> >> incompatible with Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts about how to solve this?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >
> > Here are some thoughts:
> >
> > Are you using an administrator account? If so, the registry may not
> > have been updated properly during some changes.
> >
> > Make sure no firewall is blocking the new versions of Zone.exe, and
> > Zclient.exe from access.
> >
> > Look in Internet Properties, General tab, Settings button, View Objects
> > button, and make sure none of the Zone or Heartbeat components are
> > damaged.
> >

> This all should be ok. I am using an admin account, but again, I
> experience the same issue with fresh clean installs.
>
> One more interesting thing - I also now have trouble running Windows
> Update, with similar symptoms.
>
> Very weird. Very, very frustrating...

A Windows Update possibly caused this problem.. I would remove any
recent update as a test to see if you can then access the Zone and
Windows Update. Also remove unneeded objects in the ActiveX list; look
at the Properties of each item.

Also get any JScript update.. It's used at both the Zone and Windows
Update site.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...

--

+Elmo_Tech
October 31, 2004 1:45:33 PM

> A Windows Update possibly caused this problem.. I would remove any
> recent update as a test to see if you can then access the Zone and
> Windows Update. Also remove unneeded objects in the ActiveX list; look
> at the Properties of each item.
>
> Also get any JScript update.. It's used at both the Zone and Windows
> Update site.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...

I can try this. However, I had this problem still after reinstalling
Virtual PC, and then a fresh version of Windows 98 and Windows 2000.

Same problems. I'm beginning to think it may be something related to
the interaction of
Virtual PC and windows installer. I.E. it will download update files
from windows update but then not extract them. And probably a variant
of this is causing the problem on the zone. But I have no idea what to
do about it. It's not my specific machine, it's not a specific OS
within VPC, as I tried it on different macs with the same result.

Truly baffling.
Anonymous
October 31, 2004 11:29:11 PM

Bean wrote:

> > A Windows Update possibly caused this problem.. I would remove any
> > recent update as a test to see if you can then access the Zone and
> > Windows Update. Also remove unneeded objects in the ActiveX list; look
> > at the Properties of each item.
> >
> > Also get any JScript update.. It's used at both the Zone and Windows
> > Update site.
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...
>
> I can try this. However, I had this problem still after reinstalling
> Virtual PC, and then a fresh version of Windows 98 and Windows 2000.
>
> Same problems. I'm beginning to think it may be something related to
> the interaction of
> Virtual PC and windows installer. I.E. it will download update files
> from windows update but then not extract them. And probably a variant
> of this is causing the problem on the zone. But I have no idea what to
> do about it. It's not my specific machine, it's not a specific OS
> within VPC, as I tried it on different macs with the same result.
>
> Truly baffling.

Someone in another ng said a FAQ stated it was a Zone problem with a bad
write to the registry and that a solution was forthcoming. Hopefully
that's all it is.

--

+Elmo_Tech
November 1, 2004 1:41:07 AM

On 2004-10-31 20:29:11 -0500, +Elmo_Tech <elmogeek@iglou.invalid> said:

> Bean wrote:
>>

>>> A Windows Update possibly caused this problem.. I would remove any
>>> recent update as a test to see if you can then access the Zone and
>>> Windows Update. Also remove unneeded objects in the ActiveX list; look
>>> at the Properties of each item.
>>>
>>> Also get any JScript update.. It's used at both the Zone and Windows
>>> Update site.
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q236/8...
>>
>> I can try this. However, I had this problem still after reinstalling
>> Virtual PC, and then a fresh version of Windows 98 and Windows 2000.
>>
>> Same problems. I'm beginning to think it may be something related to
>> the interaction of
>> Virtual PC and windows installer. I.E. it will download update files
>> from windows update but then not extract them. And probably a variant
>> of this is causing the problem on the zone. But I have no idea what to
>> do about it. It's not my specific machine, it's not a specific OS
>> within VPC, as I tried it on different macs with the same result.
>>
>> Truly baffling.
>
> Someone in another ng said a FAQ stated it was a Zone problem with a bad
> write to the registry and that a solution was forthcoming. Hopefully
> that's all it is.

Could

Could you post the text of this - I cannot access the link. Thanks!
Anonymous
November 1, 2004 12:01:58 PM

Bean wrote:

> >> I can try this. However, I had this problem still after reinstalling
> >> Virtual PC, and then a fresh version of Windows 98 and Windows 2000.
> >>
> >> Same problems. I'm beginning to think it may be something related to
> >> the interaction of
> >> Virtual PC and windows installer. I.E. it will download update files
> >> from windows update but then not extract them. And probably a variant
> >> of this is causing the problem on the zone. But I have no idea what to
> >> do about it. It's not my specific machine, it's not a specific OS
> >> within VPC, as I tried it on different macs with the same result.
> >>
> >> Truly baffling.
> >
> > Someone in another ng said a FAQ stated it was a Zone problem with a bad
> > write to the registry and that a solution was forthcoming. Hopefully
> > that's all it is.

> Could
> >

> Could you post the text of this - I cannot access the link. Thanks!

It isn't that helpful; similar to what I stated:

"I have had the same problem, which according to the FAQ on the zone and
the answer here lies in a corrupt registry. It seems that this is due to
a zone-made error which should be corrected by a program fix. Is this
likely and what will the timeframe for a fix be?"

I've looked through the help pages and can't find a similar message. If
I locate it, I'll post its link or contents.

--

+Elmo_Tech
Anonymous

I'm dealing with the same situation -- several hours of work later. Please
post any solution you come across.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 8:02:36 PM

"freeradical" <psk7@myisp.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> I'm dealing with the same situation -- several hours of work later. Please
> post any solution you come across.

Same here, have tried avery solutions find in help pages and here, nothing
to do, again blocked on "Sorry, we were unable to install your game."
if everyone have inusual solution post please
!