ms backup-where is it?

windows xp home
dell demension 4600

MS backup does not appear to be installed on my computer. Does anyone
know if it is on any of the disks shipped with the system? which one?

Thanks for any help,
Larry
5 answers Last reply
More about backup where

    "Larry" <larry@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
    > windows xp home
    > dell demension 4600
    >
    > MS backup does not appear to be installed on my computer. Does anyone
    > know if it is on any of the disks shipped with the system? which one?
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    > Larry

    The Backup that ships with XP Home must be installed
    from the CD.

    To do so, insert the XP CD and navigate to
    CD-ROM Drive:\VALUEADD\MSFT\NTBACKUP. Double click on
    ntbackup.msi to install the program.

    I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
    I was just trying to help.
    advice herein.
    No warranty is expressed or implied.
    Your mileage may vary.
    See store for details. :)

    Remove shoes to E-mail.

    NTBACKUP is not installed by default on windows XP Home:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302894
    Also see:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315255

    Some OEMs choose not to provide these optional files, I am not sure if
    Dell still does.

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "Larry" <larry@earthlink.invalid> wrote in message
    > windows xp home
    > dell demension 4600
    >
    > MS backup does not appear to be installed on my computer. Does
    anyone
    > know if it is on any of the disks shipped with the system? which
    one?

    > Thanks for any help,
    > Larry

    Do many people in his forum use ms backup? I presume you can back up sections
    of your hard drive to CD and then subsequent backups only rewrite files that
    have been altered since the last backup. Is that correct?

    --
    "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

    See how the pros get their power!
    http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

    The backup application included with Windows XP -- known as ntbackup -- does
    not do differential or incremental backups.

    Like other applications included with Windows -- file compression, CD
    recording and the firewall among them -- the backup application is not
    intended to compete with a full featured third-party program. If your backup
    needs are relatively basic, you'll do fine with ntbackup.

    I prefer imaging software, for two reasons: 1) ntbackup requires a working
    copy of Windows, so if your system is hosed you've got a problem, and 2) an
    image includes more than a backup. Personally, I have great confidence in
    Norton Ghost. (Other people hate anything to do with Symantec, and not
    entirely without good reason.) I can image my system partition in under 7
    minutes, and I can (and have) restored my system in the same amount of time.

    However, I also believe in layers of protection, so I supplement Ghost by
    burning my most critical files to DVD.

    Rocky

    "Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
    > Do many people in his forum use ms backup? I presume you can back up
    sections
    > of your hard drive to CD and then subsequent backups only rewrite files
    that
    > have been altered since the last backup. Is that correct?
    >
    > --
    > "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
    >
    > See how the pros get their power!
    > http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

    Rocket> The backup application included with Windows XP -- known as ntbackup -- does
    Rocket> not do differential or incremental backups.

    It claims to, but when doing one on my systems it crashes.

    Rocket> Like other applications included with Windows -- file compression, CD
    Rocket> recording and the firewall among them -- the backup application is not
    Rocket> intended to compete with a full featured third-party program. If your backup
    Rocket> needs are relatively basic, you'll do fine with ntbackup.

    Rocket> I prefer imaging software, for two reasons: 1) ntbackup requires a working
    Rocket> copy of Windows, so if your system is hosed you've got a problem, and 2) an

    I have twice used the system restore functionality in ntbackup.
    It images the whole system drive, and if you have a problem you
    can boot to the XP disk, and do a full restore. It works for
    me. I use an external hard drive to store the backups.

    Rocket> image includes more than a backup. Personally, I have great confidence in
    Rocket> Norton Ghost. (Other people hate anything to do with Symantec, and not
    Rocket> entirely without good reason.) I can image my system partition in under 7
    Rocket> minutes, and I can (and have) restored my system in the same amount of time.

    Rocket> However, I also believe in layers of protection, so I supplement Ghost by
    Rocket> burning my most critical files to DVD.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

Dell Backup Windows XP Computers