m500 battery failure or ??

January 1, 2005 4:33:26 PM

I have a Palm m500 that won't power up at all (i.e., the screen is
blank no matter what I do). I'm inclined to think that my battery
needs to be replaced because I have had this unit for over 3 years and
have not yet replaced the battery. During the final few days prior to
its refusal to power up, my battery life became very short. However
when I put it in the cradle I'm still not able to power it up even
though the green charging light comes on. Is this behavior normal for
an m500 with battery that is completely worn out? Or should I expect
that an otherwise healthy m500 would still power up with the
cradle/charger attached?

More about : m500 battery failure

Anonymous
January 2, 2005 9:25:33 PM

Actually it's very easy to get at the battery of an m5xx. All it takes
is a small torx driver. A new battery is relatively inexpensive
(around $30) and the following link describes the replacement
procedure:
http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen...

I don't mind replacing the battery myself and will probably go ahead
and do so. My reason for posting the original question is that I was
hoping to get feedback from others with m5xx's that have undergone
battery replacement to see if their pre-failure symptoms are similar to
mine. If the required repair is likely to be more complicated or more
expensive than a battery replacement then I'll simply go shopping for a
new handheld.
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 10:05:57 AM

I'd like to give a word of caution to anyone considering taking an M5xx
apart for the first time. I was told it was easy when I had some
problems with my M500 last year. It wasn't. The first, and most
difficult, part, was finding a torx tool in the right size. I googled
for it, I traveled around Denver looking for it. I finally found it by
pure luck. I was coming back from a trip to Graingers, yet another
place that didn't have it, and saw a large equipment salvage place. I
almost kept going, but decided to go in. Otherwise, I might still be
looking for it!
The second problem I encountered was taking it apart. I've taken it
apart several times since and have found that those small torx screws
are sometimes put in too tight, and strip when you try to get them out.
I should say that I've been working on cars and mostly larger devices
since I was a kid (ok, over 40 years now), so I'm probably a bit clutzy
when working on small electronic devices. Nonetheless, they do strip
easily. In one case, I had to take the Palm into a jeweler and have him
cut a slot in the torx screw, ruining the screw and the back case. (I
had extras from a retired M500, so I accepted the loss).
Finally, the first time I opened the unit up, pieces and parts came out
because I opened it up wrong, and I had to do a little figuring to get
it all back together properly.
What I am saying is that to someone experienced in disassembling small
electronic devices, this may be "easy". To someone like myself, even
with an engineering and mechanicing background, it was not easy. I got
through it, and have done it many times since. But to someone without
some mechanical skills, I would reccommend against attempting it. Take
it to someone who repairs them, or at least something like them, on a
regular basis.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 1:26:54 PM

On 31 Jan 2005 07:05:57 -0800, davegb wrote:

> I'd like to give a word of caution to anyone considering taking an M5xx
> apart for the first time. I was told it was easy when I had some
> problems with my M500 last year. It wasn't. The first, and most
> difficult, part, was finding a torx tool in the right size. I googled
> for it, I traveled around Denver looking for it. I finally found it by
> pure luck. I was coming back from a trip to Graingers, yet another
> place that didn't have it, and saw a large equipment salvage place. I
> almost kept going, but decided to go in. Otherwise, I might still be
> looking for it!

[snip]

In all seriousness, did you consider looking for one online? I
casually look for a T5/6 screwdriver when we're out, and I have yet to
find one locally. But I know of several places online that sell them.

Gethightech.com, the repair site with all of the instructions for
disassembling Palm handhelds even has one. And a google search finds
several stores that also sell them.

--
Derek

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons
exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." -- G.K.
Chesterton
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 5:48:06 PM

Yes, I did look online, but I couldn't find the one I wanted, at least
not at a reasonable price. It's been a while, but I remember finding
$20 and up sets, which I didn't want. I did an online search before I
replied today, and found some immediately. I guess the market has
responded to the need, but last year (I think is was last summer), I
couldn't find one of those things to save my life!
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 7:51:34 PM

On 31 Jan 2005 14:48:06 -0800, davegb wrote:

> Yes, I did look online, but I couldn't find the one I wanted, at least
> not at a reasonable price. It's been a while, but I remember finding
> $20 and up sets, which I didn't want. I did an online search before I
> replied today, and found some immediately. I guess the market has
> responded to the need, but last year (I think is was last summer), I
> couldn't find one of those things to save my life!

Ah, yes. Well, last year... ;)

--
Derek

There is no greater joy than soaring high on the wings of your dreams,
except maybe the joy of watching a dreamer who has nowhere to land but
in the ocean of reality.
Anonymous
February 1, 2005 7:03:48 PM

I just bought a replacement battery on ebay for $12 includes shipping
from China. I just happen to find the T5 Torx screwdriver at a local
computer store for $4.50. I don't see what the big deal is about
changing the battery. Follow the directions online and you should have
no problem. It took me about 5 minutes. The results? After a full
charge (overnight) I have been using my m505 for about 8 hours with no
backlite and the battery still shows at 100%! The old battery was at
50% within 15 minutes of use. I had the old battery for about 3+ years
and consider myself a Palm power user. Batteries a few months ago were
around $30 to $40. But now are as cheap as $8 on ebay. Just watch those
shipping charges! Good luck!
!