what does NM mean?

I have been reading about the amd64 130nm and the 90nm.

I'm just wondering what nm means?
8 answers Last reply
More about what mean
  1. nanometer

Transistor size.
  2. is the 90 alot better then the 130?
  3. The 90nm is much cooler and has greater overclocking potential.
  4. smaller transistors mean less heat dissipation which generally results in longer CPU life, faster clock speeds, and less power consumption.
  5. The short answer is "yes" the 90nm is better than the 130nm
  6. Unless you're Intel.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
    Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>
  7. What he means by "Unless you're Intel" is that Intel's migration from 130nm (Northwood) to 90nm (Prescott) resulted in a cpu producing significantly more heat than its predecessor. Of course, they've increased the number of components in addition to the shrink in transistor size. Theoretically, if it's only a die-shrink, it should have produced a better cpu.
  8. Guess he missed the Pentium M.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
    <font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs