BSOD help

Twoecho

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hello,

My computer has been running stably for the past 6 months (since upgrading some hardware), but recently I have been getting an incredibly annoying BSOD. The BSOD is for a Machine_Check_Exception. Parameters for the BSOD are 0x0000009c (0x0000000, 0xFFFFF180{missed the last digits}, 0x0000000, 0x0000000).

I also notice the message reads physical memory dump failed on device

Once the blue screen happens I am unable to reboot. Windows starts to boot but just before the login screen I get the MCE blue screen again. Weird part is that I can still boot to safe mode and if I let the machine sit for an hour or so I can boot it up normally again. The machine runs for between 4-20 hours before the blue screen happens again.

Researching this BSOD tells me that this is hardware related. I do not have anything overclocked, so that is not the issue. I have run several passes of Memtest86 and they have all passed, so I assume RAM is not the issue. Chkdsc has not identified any disc errors. My experience with GPU's is that when they fry, you lose all video, which I have not, so I wouldn't think it's my vid card (but I've been wrong before). Which basically leaves my Mobo, Processor and PSU. I am suspect of my PSU as it is not very highly regarded and has gotten some bad reviews for dying within 6 months of purchase.

I guess my question is this: is my thinking/troubleshooting methodology sound? Does anyone have any advice as to how to figure this out?

Mobo - EVGA X58 Classified-141-BL-E760

CPU - Intel Core i7 920 (1st Gen., Batch 3916B136 SLBEJ Costa Rica)

Ram - 6G Corsair Dominator-GT (3x2GB) PC3-15000 CL7

PSU - RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V Modular PSU

GPU -EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti -448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB

Cooling -Corsair H60 Liquid Cooler

LG DVD Burner 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS90 - OEM

Western Digital 320Gb Hard drive

Windows 7 64-bit with all updated drivers

jemm

Distinguished
How about the temps when it happens?

Anyway I think it is a PSU, or mobo issue. Try booting it with another PSU, from a friend, or a shop -- if it is OK, then there should be your mobo.

I don´t think it is your CPU.